IGNORED

2600+ w/7800 support

Goochman

12 hours ago, karri said:

So the Atari 2600+ emulates FoxBoard and BupSystem?

In conjunction with what Defender_2600 posted above, another post that follows, goes into some more depth regarding compatibility.

For convenience, here are the specifics reposted:

Just to clarify a bit... Hopefully this doesn't come off sounding like the Grinch. 🙂

As far as the 7800 portion of the update goes, @RevEng and I have been working on it for some time now. 

On the emulation side, everything we have tested works. However, there has been limited testing on the dumper portion which has been updated to support homebrew (now supports "unknown"/non-retail cartridges). While theoretically, most cartridges should work with a few exceptions (see below), our testing of real cartridges has been fairly limited. Therefore, I am sure there will be issues discovered. However, our goal is to address those issues as quickly as possible

Now as far as the exceptions go.

Rikki & Vikki: We have had no chance to test this on a real cartridge, but it does work on the emulation side. However, if it does work, it won't have music as we don't have the ability to dump that portion.

Attack of the PETSCII Robots: Again, this is working fine on the emulation side. However, we have been unable to get the HALT portion of the dumper to work successfully. Without this, we are unable to dump the full cartridge. 

Hope this helps clarify the current status. And again, as issues are raised, we hope to address them as quickly as possible.

Thanks,

Chris.

• Like 3

Woah, now that was totally unexpected!

On 12/25/2023 at 7:44 AM, karri said:

So the Atari 2600+ emulates FoxBoard and BupSystem?

BupSystem definitely wasn't licensed from me, so I'm guessing these are all updates to the ProSystem core. Fully supporting BupBoop / BupChip music will be difficult if there's no support for audio mixing from the cartridge slot, but the data is small enough that it could be included with the 2600+'s firmware.

On 12/25/2023 at 10:15 AM, Eagle said:

So now everyone will definitely start using Souper mapper /s

:D

It took five years to get here. So maybe in 2028 someone else will use it in a shipped game, lol.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

*Beta Update 1.1*

I shouldn't be surprised, but still floored.  Once again, @RevEng has outdone himself, and @raz0red worked his magic as well!

7800 Changes

Dumper:

• Support for unknown cartridges (linear and bank switched)
  • Removed clashing NTSC/PAL cartridge entries from known list (now handled as "unknown")
  • Increased maximum cartridge size
  • Increased dumper read timeout  (support larger cartridges)

Emulator:

• Fix for swapped controller buttons
  • Pause support via Color/B&W switch (may behave inconsistently depending on cartridge)
  • Significant updates to Pokey sound chip support
  • Support for additional Pokey configurations (@4000, @800, @450, etc.)
  • Yamaha YM2151 sound chip support
  • Support for 7800 expansion module (XM)
  • Updated palettes (contributed by Trebor @ AtariAge)
  • Partial cartridge hash detection (compatibility with dumper)
  • Cartridge probing for Pokey and YM sound chips (compatibility with dumper)
  • Cartridge header database with entries from known carts 
  • Improved cartridge header support
  • Compatibility with larger bank switched cartridges
  • Maria double buffered line RAM support
  • Maria background color fix
  • Maria color kill support
  • Maria PAL display area fix 
  • Overall improved cycle accuracy (including Maria)
  • Added support for several new opcodes
  • Z flag fix when in decimal mode
  • Multiple memory map fixes
  • RIOT interrupt mirror fix
  • Force PAL mode controller escape sequence

That is one ENORMOUS update.  Thanks to @Albert for directing @Ben from Plaion to reach out to the respective parties.

Atari is trying to do the right thing here, folks.  It is some of the best support by them for the platform since its heyday (If not arguably even better).

I'll be purchasing a 2600+ in the relatively near future due to all of the aforementioned.

Bravo, gents!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

7 hours ago, Trebor said:

That is one ENORMOUS update.  Thanks to @Albert for directing @Ben from Plaion to reach out to the respective parties.

Atari is trying to do the right thing here, folks.  It is some of the best support by them for the platform since its heyday (If not arguably even better).

I'll be purchasing a 2600+ in the relatively near future due to all of the aforementioned.

Bravo, gents!

Agreed, and there is now a strong possibility that a 2600+ will be on my Birthday wish list for next year 

• Like 2

Just so people are buying with eyes open... @raz0red and I were brought in after the console hardware was finalized, to improve the 7800 experience. I worked on a generic 7800 dumper module (which probes the cart, and supports dumping of linear and various sizes and flavours of supergame) and raz0red worked on that absolutely massive list of emulation improvements. But the console won't be supporting banksets (no halt line) and doesn't have a connected audio line from the cart. More exotic peripherals like atarivox, savekey, and keypads likely can't be supported. The dumper+emulator architecture means that it can only run "in-cart" hardware that the emulator has code to detect and handle. 

There's a lot of good things to say about the console. It's a cool piece of hardware for playing old (and many new) 7800 games on your modern TV, without the need for a scandoubler, and it has the iconic Atari feel and brand. If you do the serial port mod, it's also a nifty cart-dumper. Just spend your cash knowing what you're buying. :thumbsup:

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

20 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

Will DK XM work with pokey sound? I have the cart, but as we all know, the XM was never finished. It would be really cool to have a way to actually play it.

YES! :)

What is now working on this beta update:

7800 Alpha Race

Armor Attack II

Asteroids Deluxe

Astro Blaster

Astro Fighter

Baby Pac Man

Beef Drop

Blockem Sockem(Using DragonFly Cart)

B*nk

Combat 1990

Crazy Brix(only working with joystick control)

Crazy Otto

Crystal Quest(control with CX 40 only, not working with 2 button)

Donkey Kong PX

Donkey Kong XM

Dungeon Stalker

Fail Safe

Fat Axl

Frenzy

Froggie

K.C. Munchkin

Kessel Attack

Klax

Knight Guy in Low Res World Castle Days

Lava Lamps and 8 Track Theatre

Meteor Shower

Missing in Action(Prototype)

Moon Cresta

Pac Man Collection

Pac Man 40th Anniversary with XM Sound!

Pac Man Jr.

Pineapple

Pit Fighter(Prototype)

Plutos

Popeye

Rip Off

Santa Simon

Scramble

Sentinel

Serpentine

Sirius

Space Duel

Space Invaders Collection

Star Wars(Xevious Hack)

Super Circus Atariage

Super Cobra

Super Pac Man

T:me Salvo

Tubes

Venture

Wasp

Wizards Dungeon

Worm

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

I see that multiple pokey location support has been added. Here’s a crazy question:

Will DK XM work with pokey sound? I have the cart, but as we all know, the XM was never finished. It would be really cool to have a way to actually play it.

Yes, I hear the pokey sound with that cart.  

• Like 5

1 minute ago, RevEng said:

I think it would be useful to have a "2600+ compatible" category in the store too.

@Albert surely doesn't have enough to do, these days! ;)

Yes, I'm absolutely going to do this, but was waiting for this 1.1 patch to be released first, since it greatly improves compatibility with 7800 titles.  I need to do the same thing on eBay and Etsy as well.  I'm already getting a TON of emails/PMs/DMs from people asking "Is this game compatible with the 2600+?"  Much more so than I ever got with the Retron 77!

..Al

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

@raz0red you once again taken a very popular product and brought a modern day shine and dignity to it.  First, the very archaic ProSystem emulator turned into the amazing JS7800, and also the fabulous Wii7800 prior to that.

Now the 2600+ will have a more than respectable showing, with a possible audience that may have never otherwise been exposed to the 7800, the phenomenal developments, and the outstanding community that surrounds it.  Thank you for doing amazing work with that emulator.  So many, will have a very accessible and convenient way of playing most 7800 titles through the 2600+!

There is truly a debt of gratitude here that Atari and developers for the 7800 platform appreciate.  Thank you again!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 12/27/2023 at 3:39 PM, TailChao said:

. Fully supporting BupBoop / BupChip music will be difficult if there's no support for audio mixing from the cartridge slot, but the data is small enough that it could be included with the 2600+'s firmware.

(…)

It took five years to get here. So maybe in 2028 someone else will use it in a shipped game, lol.

Perhaps it’s time Rikki and Vikki to go on a new adventure then, as the Misery Dragon soon can spread mischief to tons of globally distributed 2600+’es …

… all the new 2600+ owner, sitting around expecting quiet gaming evenings - and the Misery Dragon (or whatever may come out of a Misery Dragon Egg) roams about to create mischief… what then? Who’ll save the day?

Edited by Giles N
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Trebor said:

@raz0red you once again taken a very popular product and brought a modern day shine and dignity to it.  First, the very archaic ProSystem emulator turned into the amazing JS7800, and also the fabulous Wii7800 prior to that.

Thank you very much @Trebor, I really appreciate it!

But, honestly, this project would have never happened without @RevEng. He was able to jump through hoops too numerous to count to get the dumper working with homebrew in record time. It was an absolute pleasure to be able to observe the journey along with its many trials and tribulations.

For my part, I was able to port the work that we collectively have developed over the past 10+ years (wow, that is a long time), into the archaic Libretro ProSystem version. By collectively, I mean all of the 7800 devs who have graciously answered all of my annoying questions, @RevEng who is always willing to jump in and lend a hand at a moments notice, and you @Trebor for making sure that everything is working correctly, providing invaluable feedback, and meticulously producing incredibly accurate palettes.

It isn't there quite yet, but it is getting closer...

Chris.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, gambler172 said:

Hi Lewis

Your hames work 👍

Most of them...ARTI has some odd sound issue where the TIA isn't heard very well even with the TIA on loudest option in the game. That is through my DragonFly cartridge at least as I don't own a physical of ARTI at this time. But between my actual 7800 and the 2600+ at least, that game does seem to have some audio balance issues that will be getting looked into.

I've not checked anything other than EXO and ART and current builds of Bernie as instructed right now.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, BrewCrewFan77 said:

With things being are what they are now with the 2600+; is it worth it to get that if I already have a non modded 7800?  Or, should I just sit tight on my 7800 being that I do love me some homebrews and maybe try to do the RF mod?

I suppose it depends upon what you want to use it for and what you want to play on it, right? There's no question the 7800 is going to be far more compatible and satisfying. With that said, the 2600+ is simple and convenient, and relatively inexpensive. It's not a replacement, but can certainly be a companion. The fact that they're promising firmware updates to improve the compatibility is a plus as well. Once that improves, even though I have a ton of ways to play 2600/7800 content, I might even pull the trigger. Right now, it just doesn't make a lot of sense for me personally, especially considering the homebrews I have in my collection and the fact that non-joystick controllers have spotty or no usability.

8 minutes ago, Bill Loguidice said:

I suppose it depends upon what you want to use it for and what you want to play on it, right? There's no question the 7800 is going to be far more compatible and satisfying. With that said, the 2600+ is simple and convenient, and relatively inexpensive. It's not a replacement, but can certainly be a companion. The fact that they're promising firmware updates to improve the compatibility is a plus as well. Once that improves, even though I have a ton of ways to play 2600/7800 content, I might even pull the trigger. Right now, it just doesn't make a lot of sense for me personally, especially considering the homebrews I have in my collection and the fact that non-joystick controllers have spotty or no usability.

All good points!  My biggest thing is to get the best image and I am tempted by the HDMI outputs.  But I do love playing on original hardware.

The 2600+ does play most 7800 and 2600 carts. It does not run all the carts.

But it just works on a normal TV with great colours. It is also cheap as you can buy it in most countries without ridiculous extra cost for customs and delivery. My experience is that a lot of games have graphical details that are lost due to bad picture on my original Atari 7800 (this may be just adjustments wrong or TV problems). The games are just more enjoyable on the 2600+.

IMG_20231228_193023(1).thumb.jpg.befe72421b32cb42c5310699577e1167.jpgIMG_20231221_121613.thumb.jpg.2dfe18c91b0b6c4c9bf0e245dbeb4844.jpg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...