IGNORED

AtariAge + Atari Q&A

Albert

13 minutes ago, GraffitiTavern said:

@Albert Something nice that could be done with the database is releasing more info for newer collectors. I can get classic cartridges around me, but very few have manuals. Working with the manual database on a series of free PDF print-at-home booklet format manuals for common titles would be great, particularly for the 2600+. They could even put in little ads for the updates of the classics(like say a Asteroids Recharged ad in Asteroids or a discount code to get a copy of the game on VCS). It could even have a page giving a brief history on the game.

It could be call XP@Home or something

You can find almost everything at Atarimania.com too.

• Like 4

I’m sorry I’m slow to get to the thread, so this may have been touched on and if so just ignore and I’ll get thru the 64 pages eventually.

We know Atari is releasing the 2600+ to support the 2600-7800 but what about the Jaguar. Are you aware of any plans for Atari to bring new games to the Jaguar again since they now own AA? 

Would be so amazing to see Atari release perfect Arcade games and 2600-7800 Compilations for the Jag - even some of the evolved games that were made for the Current gen consoles as well as the VCS. Atari has so many great games in its house that the possibilities are limitless. I think most Jaguar fans know there’s not really any games pushing the hardware and I think most of us don’t need to do the math-I just want new fun games for the Jaguar. 

If they have no plans for games on the Jaguar at this point- I surely hope they would be open to allowing the licenses to be used by the amazing group of our devs in the community. Yes Atari may not make a fortune on Jag game sales but a full on revival from 2600+ to Jaguar would be a feat no gaming company has ever accomplished and Atari is now positioned to rejuvenate all of their platforms and bring many back into the fold that have nothing new to explore or collect.

Long windy post, you can sum it up however you like. Here’s hoping Atari plans to utilize the Jaguar and even the 5200 for fans of the consoles. The Jag has the power to bring us many perfect versions of Atari licensed arcade games we never saw at home years ago. As a huge fan of the evolved versions in the last few years here’s hoping there’s a plan. Yes I have them on other consoles etc but it’s not the same as a potential return to new Atari games on the Jag.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

You can find almost everything at Atarimania.com too.

Ooh I'll have to look more there, issue is a lot of the scanned manuals aren't print-friendly as is. I like to have a print copy for both completeness and I find it annoying to browse the manual one image at a time on my phone. But that is a great resource, particularly for all the magazines.

5 hours ago, Smallywood said:

I’m sorry I’m slow to get to the thread, so this may have been touched on and if so just ignore and I’ll get thru the 64 pages eventually.

We know Atari is releasing the 2600+ to support the 2600-7800 but what about the Jaguar. Are you aware of any plans for Atari to bring new games to the Jaguar again since they now own AA? 

Would be so amazing to see Atari release perfect Arcade games and 2600-7800 Compilations for the Jag - even some of the evolved games that were made for the Current gen consoles as well as the VCS. Atari has so many great games in its house that the possibilities are limitless. I think most Jaguar fans know there’s not really any games pushing the hardware and I think most of us don’t need to do the math-I just want new fun games for the Jaguar. 

If they have no plans for games on the Jaguar at this point- I surely hope they would be open to allowing the licenses to be used by the amazing group of our devs in the community. Yes Atari may not make a fortune on Jag game sales but a full on revival from 2600+ to Jaguar would be a feat no gaming company has ever accomplished and Atari is now positioned to rejuvenate all of their platforms and bring many back into the fold that have nothing new to explore or collect.

Long windy post, you can sum it up however you like. Here’s hoping Atari plans to utilize the Jaguar and even the 5200 for fans of the consoles. The Jag has the power to bring us many perfect versions of Atari licensed arcade games we never saw at home years ago. As a huge fan of the evolved versions in the last few years here’s hoping there’s a plan. Yes I have them on other consoles etc but it’s not the same as a potential return to new Atari games on the Jag.

I think more people would be excited if Atari announced an Atari ST+ than a Jaguar+, just looking at the sales numbers of each system it's clear one was far more successful with the gaming masses than the other.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, JPF997 said:

I think more people would be excited if Atari announced an Atari ST+ than a Jaguar+, just looking at the sales numbers of each system it's clear one was far more successful with the gaming masses than the other.

I think that's largely a function of where you lived.  In the US, I had ready access to a Jaguar but didn't know a single ST owner, nor do I recall ST software being openly sold on store shelves of retailers like Software Etc. or Babbages as was the case for Amiga titles.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Rodney Hester said:

I think that's largely a function of where you lived.  In the US, I had ready access to a Jaguar but didn't know a single ST owner, nor do I recall ST software being openly sold on store shelves of retailers like Software Etc. or Babbages as was the case for Amiga titles.

I bought quite a few Amiga games (Sword of Sodan, Dragons Lair, sega arcade smash pack, etc) at both those store here in MN. I don't ever remember seeing Atari ST stuff but then again I wasn't really looking for it...

12 hours ago, Rodney Hester said:

Same.  Everyone I knew who had a computer had a PC and we all used Apples in our respective grade schools (and later PCs in high school).  One friend's family did have a c64 but it was used exclusively by the dad and not my friend.  I do recall the occasional Amiga title on store shelves though.   The only person I knew growing up with either an Amiga or Atari ST was a European that came to the US during 8th grade though I don't recall if he bought it here or brought it over and used an adapter plug.  I'm not entirely sure if that was a reliable option for PCs even though I did use a plug in the 90s when visiting relatives in Europe myself for simpler electronics and battery charging for the camcorder.

Edited by LatchKeyKid

19 hours ago, GraffitiTavern said:

Ooh I'll have to look more there, issue is a lot of the scanned manuals aren't print-friendly as is. I like to have a print copy for both completeness and I find it annoying to browse the manual one image at a time on my phone. But that is a great resource, particularly for all the magazines.

I use the Pages app on my ipad to format them into a manual I can print at home, then cut and staple together.  It's not perfect.  They're not full scale.  Mainly because I was too cheap to buy a really large stapler to reach to the spine of a full sized one.  But it works well enough for me and gives me that lovely tactile perusal and build up of anticipation before diving into the game for the first time.  Let me see if I can provide an example of my handiwork....

A5962D43-8787-4E48-905E-5F36FD694578.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LatchKeyKid said:

Same.  Everyone I knew who had a computer had a PC and we all used Apples in our respective grade schools (and later PCs in high school).  One friend's family did have a c64 but it was used exclusively by the dad and not my friend.  I do recall the occasional Amiga title on store shelves though.   The only person I knew growing up with either an Amiga or Atari ST was a European that came to the US during 8th grade though

Similar.  In the 8-bit area tho, there were some Atari 8-bitters I knew too, along with the Commodore and Apple kids. 

(I didn't know any TRS-80 or TI kids either.)

I don't remember knowing any ST owners, tho chatted with some on FIDONET from time to time...

As for Amiga owners, they were around.  I bought my Amiga 500 at my university bookstore.  They sold them, along with PCs and Macs.

And yeah, not only did the local Software Etc sell Amiga games, but they frequently had the Amiga in the window (that's where I first saw Blood Money and Shadow of the Beast).

I wasn't into consoles tho (My family had an Odyssey 2, and then no new consoles until the Wii.  Tho my retro habit had me get a bunch eventually.) so I'm not sure about Jaguar or anything like that.  I do remember later seeing them at Toy Liquidators and I still kick myself for not getting one then, even tho I knew nothing about it.

24 minutes ago, bloodreptile said:

Myself and another Atari age member were discussing stuff on Xbox live.  We both love Atari 50.  Plus there is a lot of retro atari rivarly. 

I have to ask is Albert the new Tommy Tallarico?

I'm not the swearing type, but what the hell does that mean?

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

43 minutes ago, bloodreptile said:

Myself and another Atari age member were discussing stuff on Xbox live.  We both love Atari 50.  Plus there is a lot of retro atari rivarly. 

I have to ask is Albert the new Tommy Tallarico?

This is an asinine question. Albert has run this website for over 20 years and has been an active and reliable producer of homebrew games during that time. Not once has he ever promised something and then failed to deliver. To compare him to Tommy Tallarico in any fashion is beyond ridiculous.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

Just having a laff before too many people tell me I am a div (I think the literal use of American phrasing is a wuss).

I love Atari.  Probably liked it more than most.  Playing Pong when it first came out marvelling at it but thinking it was a bit limited. All the way up to getting a 2600 for the first time.  That was Warner Atari. Simply amazing. Then Tramiel Atari.  Also, superb. Hasbro Atair? Hmmm Infogrames Atari? All these years later, the jury is still out on them.

They have lived off the 2600 for years. Years and years of mediocre releases.  Okay Infogrames never had any titles I was like I must play and they shut down my fave UK games site Ocean Games but they have longevity.  Big Atari titles? Atari classics revisited.  Atari 50 that is it.

Yeah.  It is good that Albert supported Atari but by selling off and not stocking all the good Atari ports he has aligned himself with Atari Paris.  It is a point worth making.

• Confused 3

47 minutes ago, Albert said:
49 minutes ago, bloodreptile said:

Time for a flame war dude?

Congratulations for being the first person to be kicked from this thread.

This is what I fear will be all too common.  It's like when a small local pub has been a really cool hangout for 20 years.  Then all of a sudden, some TikTok wanker makes a viral post, and all of the sudden, the floodgates open.  Be prepared for this on EPIC levels.

Also - I'm ready to be called an "old man yelling at clouds, a boomer, etc."  Mark your calendar, and get back with me in a few years.

• Like 2

Just now, Stephen said:

This is what I fear will be all too common.  It's like when a small local pub has been a really cool hangout for 20 years.  Then all of a sudden, some TikTok wanker makes a viral post, and all of the sudden, the floodgates open.  Be prepared for this on EPIC levels.

That is not going to happen, as someone else said earlier, most people who just want to discuss video games more casually are going to use social media to do so, leaving forums to those who invest more serious time in the hobby.  Of course, that's not a hard and fast rule, but the forum has already been around for over 20 years.  There have been plenty of temporary spikes in new members for various reasons over that time, and the forums have weathered those events just fine.

It's also grossly unfair to prejudge members who might join because they saw a "viral post" somewhere. I welcome new members to the site, regardless of how they may learn about it. Your argument is also weakened by the fact that the member above who I kicked from the thread joined the forum over TWENTY years ago.

..Al

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5

13 minutes ago, Albert said:

Your argument is also weakened by the fact that the member above who I kicked from the thread joined the forum over TWENTY years ago.

That's still new to some of us. Now I have to get back to painting my "KEEP OFF THE LAWN" signs.

sign yolo GIF by Monstercat

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Albert said:

It's also grossly unfair to prejudge members who might join because they saw a "viral post" somewhere. I welcome new members to the site, regardless of how they may learn about it. Your argument is also weakened by the fact that the member above who I kicked from the thread joined the forum over TWENTY years ago.

Fair enough.  I am a realist, not a pessimist.  So I hope you are correct, but I fear the opposite.

• Like 1