IGNORED

Atari Jaguar Port of “The Hunt” Now Available To Download and Play

BitJag

Let’s celebrate the Atari Jaguar’s 30th anniversary with a new game. “The Hunt” was originally released in 2013 for the ABBCU competition for Atari 8-bit computers. I discovered this game randomly a few years ago, and I have put more time into it than just about any other game I’ve played over the last few years.

"The Hunt" is a turn based combat puzzle game. You control a young Predator on his first Hunt on the planet Earth. Fight your way through 16 randomly generated, and progressively harder, levels to claim your ultimate trophy. Here is a short video of the game on hardware.

If you are on the JagCorner newsletter, you already know the story behind this one, but here it is for those who missed out.

At one point, the game wouldn’t run on my recently purchased Atari 800XL. After going through some serious withdrawals not being able to play this gem of a game, I decided to port the publicly available C code for the game to the Atari Jaguar. Just a few weeks after starting the port, and with the help and approval of the original creators of the game, “The Hunt” has been ported to the Atari Jaguar, and is freely available to play.

You will need a Skunkboard, Jaguar Game Drive, or BigPemu to play this. If you are using BigPemu, be sure to enable the "Force JGD Emulation" option in settings.

If you run into any bugs in the game, let me know here on this thread, direct message me here on AtariAge, or contact me directly through https://JagCorner.com

Thank you to Jakub Debski @ilmenit (original code), and Michal Radecki @michomis (music), for making a great game that deserves a bit more attention, for their support of this port, for feedback on transcribing the music for the Jaguar, and other thoughts suggestions. Also, credit goes to Pawel Szewczyk @ripek for the artwork/graphics in the original version and this version, it all fits the tone and theme of the game and setting beautifully.

Special Thanks to @CyranoJ (Reboot) for getting the final ROM to a place for this release, and helping out on such short notice.

The_Hunt_v1-0.zip

the_hunt_screenshot_01.thumb.jpg.f59bd3b1ea1f2bb012f99618fa1e23e1.jpgthe_hunt_screenshot_02.thumb.jpg.9c109903add331d2daf4665a2b317a8d.jpgthe_hunt_screenshot_03.thumb.jpg.c21e4913d8f99c60c36c07ba8d3f7b8a.jpgthe_hunt_screenshot_04.thumb.jpg.5bf3fa786f05fdbaef7401046d76f6c3.jpgthe_hunt_screenshot_05.thumb.jpg.53c5d457317fd21d74493677d017735a.jpg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 7

The black/white/red artwork reminds me of that Wii game where the only color its graphics had was the copious amount of blood splatter, I think Sega made it.

wait a sec, I'm typing this on a laptop - I can Google it to remember what I'm talking about. One moment, please...

elevator music

MadWorld! Made by Sega for a Nintendo console, which is still weird to me for some reason. Probably since my gaming habits are stuck in the 8bit to DC/PS2/Xbox eras.

Never played this one, but the art design definitely looks cool - so my long-winded point is, that title screen for The Hunt looks damn cool too.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Biff Burgertime said:

The black/white/red artwork reminds me of that Wii game where the only color its graphics had was the copious amount of blood splatter, I think Sega made it.

wait a sec, I'm typing this on a laptop - I can Google it to remember what I'm talking about. One moment, please...

elevator music

MadWorld! Made by Sega for a Nintendo console, which is still weird to me for some reason. Probably since my gaming habits are stuck in the 8bit to DC/PS2/Xbox eras.

Never played this one, but the art design definitely looks cool - so my long-winded point is, that title screen for The Hunt looks damn cool too.

That looks like a cool game in art, music, style.  Got that SinCity style.

"The Hunt" looks cool too.  Looking forward to giving this a whirl.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Songbird said:

Nice! Very similar to Hoplite on Android.

Thanks!  The mechanics for this game were based off of Hoplite as far as I know.  The original manual for the Atari 8-bit release mentions this and a note for this is in the manual for this version as well.  Hoplite's structure has a very satisfying gameplay loop.

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing The Hunt on tomorrow's ZPH stream LIVE on Twitch! Hope you can join us in the chat!

Games:

• Like 4

On 11/25/2023 at 5:50 AM, Biff Burgertime said:

elevator music

This one is fun and the art style is really cool.

35 minutes ago, mkolodziejski said:

Hey @BitJag, what a great port! I'd be happy to try it on my MiST/MiSTer Jaguar core. However, I'm experiencing a black screen after the logo. Do you think it's possible to fix this?

The released Jaguar core is trash. Ask the developer of the core to fix it, not the author of perfectly working software :)

• Like 7

6 hours ago, mkolodziejski said:

Hey @BitJag, what a great port! I'd be happy to try it on my MiST/MiSTer Jaguar core. However, I'm experiencing a black screen after the logo. Do you think it's possible to fix this?

The rom is working as intended. Meaning that it boots and plays fine in BigPEmu, runs on Skunkboard, and runs on JagGD.  I'm personally not familiar with the MiSTer Jaguar core, please don't expect what are probably unnecessary adjustments to the software to accommodate this use case.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/4/2023 at 9:49 AM, mkolodziejski said:

I thought MiSTer is open source. So why not fix the FPGA source? I mean you get software which works on the real HW, what else do you need to debug the soft core?

• Like 1