IGNORED

The 2600+ Game Compatability Thread

82-T/A

Here is my list of what isn't working with the factory installed firmware on the 2600+.  The first few items are categories than the carts are listed alphabetically.  I'll try to refine this some more so that it can be more useful in identifying issues.  The list is 86 lines.  I mostly left off games that needed the special controllers as long as they loaded and would start, I'm hoping it is a priority to add support for the first 3 categories.

Keyboard Controller Games
Driving Controller Games
Trackball Mode Games
Light Gun Games
Supercharger Games
Rom Carts (A26 Maxicart, Krokodile, Cuttle Cart)
Misc Peripherals (AtariVox, Quadtari, Booster Grip)
2600 Signal Tracing Cart
Aardvark
Astereroids Deluxe
Basic Programming
Boulder Dash
Brik
Bump ‘N’ Jump
Burgertime
Chetiry
Circus Convoy
Crack'ed (earlier version)
Dare Devil
Deepstone Catacomb
Draconian
Dragon Chase
Dragon’s Descent
End
Epic Adventure
Escape from the Castle
Evil Magician II
Funky Fish
Galagon
Gingerbread Man
Gorf Arcade
Grizzards
James Bond 007
Jungle Fever
Lady Bug Arcade
Landfill
Load Runner
Looping
Magicard
Mappy
Masters of the universe – The Power of He Man
Megaboy
Millipede Track Ball Edition
Mountain King
Mr. Do! (Rev C)
Omega Race
Panic! Rooms
Pitfall II
Pleiades
Qyx
Rally Racer
RealSports Boxing
Robot Tank
Robotwar
RubyQ
Rush Hour
Scramble (Champ Games)
Seaweed Assault
Smurfs Save the Day
Sound Paddle
Space Cactus Canyon
Space Jockey
Space Rock
Spike’s Peak
Star Castle Arcade
Stay Frosty 2
Stella's Stocking
Stratovox
Super Cobra Arcade
The Byte before Christmas
The Gizzle Wap and the Strange Red Tree
The Music Machine
The Pursuit of the Pink Panther
Toyshop Trouble
Turbo (Coleco)
Tyre Trax
Unholy
Venture Reloaded
Video Life
Video Life / Magicard (Duel Cart)
Wizard of Wor (Champ Games)
X3V0lux
Zarkstars – Ground Force
Zippy the Porcupine
Zoltrix
Zoo Keeper
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I spent yesterday showing one of my oldest friends the 2600+ and playing games all day.  We had a blast remembering our favorite games and trying the new stuff he had never heard of.  We did run into two games that had some issues:

Fall Down - We could not get the two player mode to work because the right joystick wasn't recognized as active.  We played Asteroids just prior, so it was operating correctly before and after this game.  Maybe we missed something simple?

Yars' Return - After playing for about 20 minutes the screen suddenly went blank and the loading/failing messages started.  I pulled the cartridge out to re-seat it and noticed the cartridge was hot to the touch.  This seemed odd as I don't recall that happening on any other cart.  I touched the slot area and it didn't seem hot, so something in the cartridge was generating it.  Rather than risking melting something in the cart, we moved on.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2023 at 4:55 AM, Atari_Warlord said:

Yars' Return - After playing for about 20 minutes the screen suddenly went blank and the loading/failing messages started.  I pulled the cartridge out to re-seat it and noticed the cartridge was hot to the touch.  

Yikes - I'd be reluctant to try that cart again.  I have played quite a few different carts on my 2600+ and have seen nothing like that.

Today I received a Challenge of Nexar cart.  At first it would not run at all despite thorough cleaning.  I thought perhaps it was not compatible, but I checked and it's on the list, so I went at it again with a third or fourth cleaning - and it finally started working.  I know Nexar is not a fan favorite, but I like it.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, ls650 said:

Yikes - I'd be reluctant to try that cart again.  I have played quite a few different carts on my 2600+ and have seen nothing like that.

Today I received a Challenge of Nexar cart.  At first it would not run at all despite through cleaning.  I thought perhaps it was not compatible, but I checked and it's on the list, so I went at it again with a third or fourth cleaning - and it finally started working.  I know Nexar is not a fan favorite, but I like it.

I ❤️ Nexar, very underrated imo.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2023 at 12:55 PM, Atari_Warlord said:

I spent yesterday showing one of my oldest friends the 2600+ and playing games all day.  We had a blast remembering our favorite games and trying the new stuff he had never heard of.  We did run into two games that had some issues:

Fall Down - We could not get the two player mode to work because the right joystick wasn't recognized as active.  We played Asteroids just prior, so it was operating correctly before and after this game.  Maybe we missed something simple?

Yars' Return - After playing for about 20 minutes the screen suddenly went blank and the loading/failing messages started.  I pulled the cartridge out to re-seat it and noticed the cartridge was hot to the touch.  This seemed odd as I don't recall that happening on any other cart.  I touched the slot area and it didn't seem hot, so something in the cartridge was generating it.  Rather than risking melting something in the cart, we moved on.

Just to add to this, I played Mario Bros for about half an hour today on the 2600+ and the cart was getting pretty hot. Doesn't make much sense to me if all the unit does it read the data once when it's first inserted. 

• Sad 1

On 12/22/2023 at 7:55 AM, Atari_Warlord said:

Did the play field work correctly for you? Like, in the first level, the barrier is a circle. On my 2022 cart, it was showing up as a semicircle on the left and a rectangular block on the right that you couldn't damage at all. It essentially only let you play on the left side of the screen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gamma Ray said:

Did the play field work correctly for you? Like, in the first level, the barrier is a circle. On my 2022 cart, it was showing up as a semicircle on the left and a rectangular block on the right that you couldn't damage at all. It essentially only let you play on the left side of the screen.

I could only attack from the left as you described.  I didn't take the time to find the manual, so thought this was normal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Atari_Warlord said:

I could only attack from the left as you described.  I didn't take the time to find the manual, so thought this was normal.

No, it's not normal. I have played the cart on my childhood 7800, and it's fine there. So I'm not the only one. I spent a pretty penny to get it from ebay since I didn't know about it when it first came out, so I hope it gets fixed on the 2600+'s firmware end soon.

And, you know, that it doesn't get fried.

Hello, my name is Holger.

I come from Germany.

This is my first post and I would like to help improve the software of the 2600+.

Most of my 42 Atari 2600 PAL modules run without errors but there are small problems with a few games.

Moon Patrol

On the AV mod 2600 jr the shots turn green like the landscape in the background, on the 2600+ they turn pink below, like the color of the moon car.

Atlantis

Spaceships jerk a bit

Pole Position and Enduro

Very dark road (has already been reported elsewhere)

Barnstorming

a little more jerking than on the 2600 jr.

Pitfall 2

not running (known)

Pressure Cooker

Music volume changes more noticeably in the game than on the 2600 jr.

But there are some things that you only notice when you see the sharp HD graphics of the 2600+.

For example Frogger: The level where the frog is currently appears to flicker very clearly. In a direct comparison, this is also the case on the original console, it's just less noticeable due to the worse picture.

Overall, I'm very happy with the compatibility. The most important thing to me would be the correct color table for PAL games so that pole position and enduro look good again.

There are a few other games where the colors are slightly different or darker, but with PP and Enduro it's noticeable in most cases. Hope this could help 🙂

Greetings from Germany 😊

• Like 4

1 hour ago, 2LTIME6100 said:

Hello, my name is Holger.

I come from Germany.

This is my first post and I would like to help improve the software of the 2600+.

Most of my 42 Atari 2600 PAL modules run without errors but there are small problems with a few games.

Moon Patrol

On the AV mod 2600 jr the shots turn green like the landscape in the background, on the 2600+ they turn pink below, like the color of the moon car.

Atlantis

Spaceships jerk a bit

Pole Position and Enduro

Very dark road (has already been reported elsewhere)

Barnstorming

a little more jerking than on the 2600 jr.

Pitfall 2

not running (known)

Pressure Cooker

Music volume changes more noticeably in the game than on the 2600 jr.

But there are some things that you only notice when you see the sharp HD graphics of the 2600+.

For example Frogger: The level where the frog is currently appears to flicker very clearly. In a direct comparison, this is also the case on the original console, it's just less noticeable due to the worse picture.

Overall, I'm very happy with the compatibility. The most important thing to me would be the correct color table for PAL games so that pole position and enduro look good again.

There are a few other games where the colors are slightly different or darker, but with PP and Enduro it's noticeable in most cases. Hope this could help 🙂

Greetings from Germany 😊

Thank you Holger.

Moon Patrol - not sure I would need to get a cart and check.

Pole Position and Enduro - colours fixed with a move to z26 palette in next update.

Barnstorming - not sure I would need to get a cart and check.

Pitfall II - no change but theoretical solution has been proposed...one for the new year.

Pressure Cooker - not sure I would need to get a cart and check.

Flicker on modern TVs has been brought up, some people had improved this by adjusting there TV settings - stuff like motion flow.

Thanks for posting 

Edited by Ben from Plaion

7 minutes ago, Mr. Christmas said:

Can somebody sticky the current list?

I can report Byte Before Christmas, Stella's Stocking, and (sad face) Galagon don't work.

Dungeon 2 and Juno First do

After the first patch is released, we'll work on confirming as many homebrew games as possible and will post a Community Compatible List, which will cover homebrew titles. I will be the primary individual responsible for maintenance of this list, and will enlist the aid of members here to help confirm which games do and do not work, so we can then focus on getting those working. Additionally, I want to be able to update games in the store so people know which games do (and especially, don't) work on the 2600+. I'll need to update the AtariAge eBay and Etsy stores with this information as well. 

..Al

• Thanks 5

12 hours ago, Albert said:

After the first patch is released, we'll work on confirming as many homebrew games as possible and will post a Community Compatible List, which will cover homebrew titles. I will be the primary individual responsible for maintenance of this list, and will enlist the aid of members here to help confirm which games do and do not work, so we can then focus on getting those working. Additionally, I want to be able to update games in the store so people know which games do (and especially, don't) work on the 2600+. I'll need to update the AtariAge eBay and Etsy stores with this information as well. 

..Al

This is very good news.

On 12/26/2023 at 1:28 PM, Atari_Warlord said:

I had this same behavior with Yars' Return. The first levels was a semi-circle. I also had issues with the XP edition of Crystal Castles.