IGNORED

The 2600+ Game Compatability Thread

82-T/A

Haven’t tested all my games yet, but just ran into an issue with one I picked up on EBay today. 

Smurf: Rescue in Gargamel's Castle

It’s working in my 7800 with no issue, but my 2600+ goes back and forth with either the can’t load message or just garbage on the screen after loading. 

Official list and a couple posts on here say it should work. Have already done a couple rounds of contact cleaning. Might just need some more. 

Running 1.0 FW. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MikeM_ said:

It’s working in my 7800 with no issue, but my 2600+ goes back and forth with either the can’t load message or just garbage on the screen after loading. 

Official list and a couple posts on here say it should work. Have already done a couple rounds of contact cleaning. Might just need some more. 

Mine is also not working (1.0 and 1.1 beta). Getting the garbage screen like you. Works great on a classic 2600.  Hoping it’s related to the known issue with some Coleco carts that they are working on. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/2/2024 at 9:00 PM, Aragorn7 said:

I've been tempted to download the Beta firmware, but I may just wait until it comes out of Beta rather than introduce some new quirks.

It also failed on 1.0, so there's that. Outside of PAL people, the firmware update has been largely free of bad surprises.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2024 at 5:37 AM, chad5200 said:

Mine is also not working (1.0 and 1.1 beta). Getting the garbage screen like you. Works great on a classic 2600.  Hoping it’s related to the known issue with some Coleco carts that they are working on. 

I have a copy of this game going to the developer to have a look at

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bradhig1 said:

I have a space invaders picture label that won't work on my 2600+ yet my text label version of Space Invaders works fine on 2600+ The picture label space invaders works on my modded 7800.

I have a picture label Space Invaders I picked up in Chicago for 99 cents. Works great. Might be yours needs a clean? The 2600+ seems to be less tolerant of cruft than the old systems.

On 1/5/2024 at 1:58 PM, Ben from Plaion said:

I have a copy of this game going to the developer to have a look at

If you want my copy of Double Dragon 7800 to figure out why it doesn't work, let me know and I'll mail it. It loads to a black screen on 1.1 atm

• Like 1

Finally made it through the rest of my 2600 games. 

Overall, the majority of my games work as expected. I didn’t test the known incompatible games since I’m still running 1.0. Thankfully it’s a short list in my collection. 

Many of my Activision carts took some trial and error to get going but did eventually work. I have the weird sound issue with Pitfall! that I’ve heard about.  This trend carried over to my Coleco carts as well where my only truly problematic carts were. I can’t get Smurf: Rescue or Zaxxon working on my 2600+ at all for whatever reason. The rest I eventually got working. 

Atari branded, Parker Bros, and M Network carts (except for Burgertime which I’m unsure from reading around if it’s a definite incompatibility or not) seemed to be the most reliable for me. Not sure if they just had cleaner contacts or if it’s something else, but it definitely seemed to follow trends based on brand. 

Happy with my results. Looking forward to the improvements in 1.1 once it comes out of beta. 

I didn't see this yet brought up anywhere else in the forum, and it's exciting news if it turns true, so I hope it's ok to replicate below facebook posting here:

image.thumb.png.1711df494e5c92f2438a6c1d37efffbe.png

image.thumb.png.e42c9482456dc157010ead0badafa8c8.png

Edited by r_type2600
added second part of facebook posting
  • Like 2

I believe I have a bad Masters the Universe cart. I get the title screen with animation and music, but I am totally unable to start the game.

I did find an old post here on AA that stated that you must have the correct difficulty switch settings to start the game, but no luck. Has anyone successfully played this yet? Am I right that it's faulty? Or am I doing something wrong? 🤷🏻🤦🏻

57 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

I believe I have a bad Masters the Universe cart. I get the title screen with animation and music, but I am totally unable to start the game.

I did find an old post here on AA that stated that you must have the correct difficulty switch settings to start the game, but no luck. Has anyone successfully played this yet? Am I right that it's faulty? Or am I doing something wrong? 🤷🏻🤦🏻

From the manual:

LEVEL OF DIFFICULTY IS ONLY CONTROLLED BY THE LEFT DIFFICULTY SWITCH,

The A position starts the game at level 1 (for beginners). The
B position starts the game at level 3. (Level 2 can be reached
only by completing level 1 .)

The right difficulty switch freezes the action. In position A, the game plays normally. In position B, the action freezes. Start the game in position A. This switch can be used to show a friend a particular screen or for a rest period

The TV TYPE switch determines whether the ION CANNON will be single or rapid fire. For single fire, select B&W. For rapid fire, select COLOR.

To start the game, turn the power on. The title screen shows PRINCE ADAM magically transforming into HE-MAN. The game begins with HE-MAN in his WIND RAIDER. To start the game sooner, press the fire button. To restart the game at the end of a game, press RESET. The game starts as soon as you move the WIND RAIDER.

7 hours ago, fluxit said:

From the manual:

LEVEL OF DIFFICULTY IS ONLY CONTROLLED BY THE LEFT DIFFICULTY SWITCH,

The A position starts the game at level 1 (for beginners). The
B position starts the game at level 3. (Level 2 can be reached
only by completing level 1 .)

The right difficulty switch freezes the action. In position A, the game plays normally. In position B, the action freezes. Start the game in position A. This switch can be used to show a friend a particular screen or for a rest period

The TV TYPE switch determines whether the ION CANNON will be single or rapid fire. For single fire, select B&W. For rapid fire, select COLOR.

To start the game, turn the power on. The title screen shows PRINCE ADAM magically transforming into HE-MAN. The game begins with HE-MAN in his WIND RAIDER. To start the game sooner, press the fire button. To restart the game at the end of a game, press RESET. The game starts as soon as you move the WIND RAIDER.

Thanks for posting this but I already read this and tried it. 

I have set both difficulty switches to A, inserted the cart and powered on. When I press fire the I get a flicker of the screen but it won't start. I get this on the 2600 Plus and my old woody. Now, the cart is NTSC and my woody PAL. Could it be that the cart is good but just not compatible with the Plus yet, and not working as it won't work on a PAL woody? I think it's more likely that it's bad. I can't find any combo of difficulty switches that allows it to work. 🤷🏻

4 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

Thanks for posting this but I already read this and tried it. 

I have set both difficulty switches to A, inserted the cart and powered on. When I press fire the I get a flicker of the screen but it won't start. I get this on the 2600 Plus and my old woody. Now, the cart is NTSC and my woody PAL. Could it be that the cart is good but just not compatible with the Plus yet, and not working as it won't work on a PAL woody? I think it's more likely that it's bad. I can't find any combo of difficulty switches that allows it to work. 🤷🏻

I'm wondering, is the intro on one part of the cart and then it should 'bank switch’ (or switch banks I guess 🤣) to the next part for the game... And that part of the cart has died? Forgive me, I am techie, but not in the ways of the Atari cartridge hardware. 

Edited by JetmanUK

On 1/4/2024 at 5:13 AM, MikeM_ said:

Haven’t tested all my games yet, but just ran into an issue with one I picked up on EBay today. 

Running 1.0 FW. 

Smurfs: Rescue in Gargamel's Castle was a weird one. Is yours a white cart? Someone here on AA sent me their cart and its fixed now in a dumper update that will be released shortly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/8/2024 at 7:42 PM, tradyblix said:

If you want my copy of Double Dragon 7800 to figure out why it doesn't work, let me know and I'll mail it. It loads to a black screen on 1.1 atm

My copy of 7800 Double Dragon is also loading into a blank screen on 1.1 beta.

Also, in general, 7800 games aren't sitting properly in my unit. In order to get any 7800 games to load, I need to wedge some paper between the cart slot and the cart. Very inconvenient and annoying. 2600 games, on the other hand, have loaded just fine. 

Recently bought defender II(PAL). On the official compatibility thread it says untested.

I bought it sealed(so ripped that off) and tried it about 5 times and it would not work. I gave it a clean with some isopropyl and tried it again and again, and again and it still would not boot. Thought it was just incompatible at the mo, so then i tried inserting the cart at slightly different angles and eventually it worked! I have had these issues before with red box atari releases on my actual atari.

Maybe a lot of the time original games/homebrew won't work on the atari 2600+ because of the fit of the actual cartridge?

Maybe you have to wear the cartridge slot a bit to accommodate all the different carts 🤔

On 1/19/2024 at 8:18 AM, Ben from Plaion said:

Smurfs: Rescue in Gargamel's Castle was a weird one. Is yours a white cart? Someone here on AA sent me their cart and its fixed now in a dumper update that will be released shortly.

@Ben from Plaion Did the dumper update you posted yesterday (AtariDumper1.1.0.9.exe) include this Smurfs fix?

On 1/19/2024 at 9:18 AM, Ben from Plaion said:

Yes. Mine is a white cart. 

thank you for all the effort you and your team are putting in to make this the best console possible. 

• Like 2

On 1/8/2024 at 6:42 PM, tradyblix said:

This got fixed in dumper version 1.1.0.9 for anyone reading this thread.