IGNORED

THE BIG CHRISTMAS 2600+ GIVEAWAY COMPETITION!

Ben from Plaion

15 hours ago, Dalton said:

Amoeba Jump.

I discovered the world of homebrew games quite recently. In general, they are usually "better" than legacy games, but this particular one is very exceptional.

It is only 4KB of code, but contains a nice title screen, even with music. The character is sweet, the graphics is great, the gameplay is very addictive.

I enjoy video games on Atari 2600, Atari 800XL, NES, Amiga 600, PSX, PS3, PS4, PS5 (even with VR). Amoeba Jump is my favourite game since the last few months, no matter for which platform.

And it runs on Atari 2600+ without any issues. It's a great showpiece for Atari 2600.

(If it's not enough - when you fail, the score is displayed for 21 seconds... I was born on 21 July, my wife was born on 21 March and we got married on 21 November... That makes it a perfect game for us :))

I would love this and many other homebrews to be readily available in the UK without huge postage/import costs.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Warboss Gegguz said:

Here's a stupid idea: Remake Aqua Teen Hunger Force Zombie Ninja Pro-Am on the 7800!

Just add more and more layers of irony. Would be pretty on brand.

That's a wonderful idea, actually!  Zombie Ninja Pro-Am was like a spiritual successor to Ninja Golf so a de-make for the 7800 would bring things full-circle.  It's also something I could totally see [adult swim] doing.

Edited by KainXavier
  • Like 1

On 12/14/2023 at 7:25 AM, beatles2001 said:

I would love to see heroquest on the 2600 & 7800, could be fantastic, if done right.

There is a lot of user created heroquest adventures and a lovely PC version as well. I have been tinkering with the idea for some time. In the Amiga version the magical music track and the beautiful graphics create the atmosphere.

The game is turn based for up to 4 players so a single controller is ok.

When I checked the licenses years ago they allowed fans to make games based on heroquest but not with the same character names or graphics. The fan version by Gerwin Broers seems to be gone. I actually have a Raspberry Pi zero version of it that I made for Ropecon.

ropecon1.thumb.jpg.8d1e4fb9697fc5b977a34316a086a2ae.jpg

HQ.thumb.jpg.055ccdfb6409ca0db5ddf42523e3bdd0.jpg

In this game I used light sensitive pegs so you could play it on a TV screen lying down on a table. Like a real board game!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

My first thoughts were of an expanded "Adventure" or a "Pitfall 3", but the more I think about it, what I'd really like to see is how good of a pinball game could be done now.  I've got tons of time in on the original Pinball as well as Midnight Magic and we could use something new there!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KainXavier said:

That's a wonderful idea, actually!  Zombie Ninja Pro-Am was like a spiritual successor to Ninja Golf so a de-make for the 7800 would bring things full-circle. 

I'm aware, lol.

Hence the "layers of irony". A demake of a remake to the same console as the original game.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, nopaybob said:

lol yeah, if compatible how many thousands of controllers could you sell though?

I think the tooling costs and per unit manufacture costs would be substantially higher then the CX30 or 40 making a break even point probably too high to warrant the effort. Plus the CX52 is a hideous device.

11 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

I think the tooling costs and per unit manufacture costs would be substantially higher then the CX30 or 40 making a break even point probably too high to warrant the effort. Plus the CX52 is a hideous device.

I suppose there exist decent controllers for the 5200 too?

20 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

In my mind it would need to be aestheically the same as the original - just that I feel I'd need to engineer the internals to be better. To start a snap back to centre Joystick and buttons with a pop.

20230919_134756.jpg.61fdc5e18807d7492390

This is the ultimate in 5200 controls. It can be set to self-center, or you can disable the self-centering on either axis independently. Perfect for every 5200 game. I have a spare of the joystick, if you want to look inside.

• Like 5

21 hours ago, PacManPlus said:

Someone started a Tank AI routine for the 2nd player in Combat YEARS ago...  It actually was coming along quite nicely...

Here it is.  I hope the person doesn't mind me posting it.  If so, just let me know and I'll remove it.

Tank AI maze demo Jun03.bin

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ben from Plaion said:

In my mind it would need to be aestheically the same as the original - just that I feel I'd need to engineer the internals to be better. To start a snap back to centre Joystick and buttons with a pop.

I may have a better solution.  Why don't you recreate the Jaguar (Pro) controller and make it compatible with the 2600+ / 5200(+) instead?  It has a D-Pad and a numeric keypad, and it's way more ergonomically pleasing than any other controller Atari has put out.  I'm sure the internal wiring's different, but you could theoretically use the controller to play 2600, 5200, 7800, and Jaguar games with the right adapter.  You might even be able to save on design costs by working with Songbird and using their existing replica as a base.

Edit: This might be a good way to support the Video Touch Pad for 2600 games as well.

Edited by KainXavier
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, karri said:

There is a lot of user created heroquest adventures and a lovely PC version as well. I have been tinkering with the idea for some time. In the Amiga version the magical music track and the beautiful graphics create the atmosphere.

The game is turn based for up to 4 players so a single controller is ok.

When I checked the licenses years ago they allowed fans to make games based on heroquest but not with the same character names or graphics. The fan version by Gerwin Broers seems to be gone. I actually have a Raspberry Pi zero version of it that I made for Ropecon.

ropecon1.thumb.jpg.8d1e4fb9697fc5b977a34316a086a2ae.jpg

HQ.thumb.jpg.055ccdfb6409ca0db5ddf42523e3bdd0.jpg

In this game I used light sensitive pegs so you could play it on a TV screen lying down on a table. Like a real board game!

That is very cool! Well done! 

• Thanks 1