IGNORED

Atari 2600+ Beta Update 1.1

Ben from Plaion

Update process worked for me successfully on a bootcamped Windows 11 that I bypassed Security (ie, Trusted Platform Modules) on via registry entries on a 2017 iMac :)

Frenzy works, so does Asteroids Deluxe. (No luck on "stella's stocking" - black screen, but it's a multi game cart so I expected as much).

My christmas is complete ! Gotta love the Stella 6.7 text. Eat that Retron 77 ! lol. 

Does anyone know if Penult is gonna work yet ? 

Edited by tradyblix
  • Like 3

Here's my brief report on the 1.1 beta.

I had no problems using the installer and following the directions.

All NTSC

2600 (though I don't think this was supposed to do too much to the 2600 end of things anyway)

Yars Return (2022 cartridge) still has the right side of the playfield malfunctioning. It's a rectangular brick instead of a circle, and you can't shoot it to pick away at it.

Paddle control still seems to be iffy. Whether it's acceleration effects, lag, skipping activity, whatever, something's not right. I used my ancient copy of Warlords. I am eagerly awaiting a fix to this.

The vsync/frame pacing/whatever is still improper, too. The ball was subtly skipping around the screen on Warlords.

Overall accuracy seems to be up across the board here. Even with this being Prosystem, it seems more accurate than the current Retroarch core.

The buttons are indeed in the correct order now.

Commando's title screen is now displaying properly. The game over jingle no longer gets cut off. If anything, this game may be running too accurately, since I'm getting more pronounced slowdown than was present on 1.0. I'm not sure how this compares to real hardware yet.

Pole Position 2's course select screen still fails to let you select the left two courses with the joystick/d-pad. You have to use the select switch on the console to select those courses. I know this is not accurate to the real hardware.

Hat Trick seems fine. The zamboni jingle is seemingly playing correctly, too.

Asteroids seems fine, too. I used this primarily to check for phantom hyperspace inputs, though I didn't notice any phantom button 2 presses in any of the games.

Centipede seems fine. Nothing much to report here.

It still can take a couple tries to get games to load.

I'm very pleased with the 7800 improvements. The 2600+ is proving to be worth the money. I'm looking forward to more improvements, especially on the 2600 end, but I'll take whatever 7800 improvements you want to give me, too ;)

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, ls650 said:

I am running Windows 11, V.23H2.  Everything worked great, exactly as outlined in Ben's detailed instructions.  The entire process took less than 8 or 10 minutes from beginning to end.  Now when I see the Atari fuji, instead of V1.0, it instead says V1.1, Stella 6.7

I popped in 7800 Pole Position II.  It worked great with the stock CX-40+ joystick; the accelerator is now tied correctly to the lone fire button.

I then tried 2600 Asteroids; I can verify that the Difficulty Switches are now correct, and Position A (as labelled) causes the saucers to appear.

I also hoped that Robot Tank and BurgerTime might be working now, but they are the same as before - Robot Tank has a badly rolling screen and BurgerTime generates a bunch of color vertical bars.

Thanks to Ben for making this update available!

I'm running Windows 11 on an Apple Silicon Mac, so it's the ARM version of Windows. I'm guessing that's the problem - there's no drivers compatible with ARM Windows?

The other thing I noticed is I still can't get those M system "super challenge baseball" games to do anything (they load, but can't play seems like). This update seemed to be much more focused on 7800, which was welcome, but yeah, thought I'd say something. 

Guys... we gotta get Klax for the 7800 working. That game is so awesome lol. It's a system seller lol

Edited by tradyblix
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, tradyblix said:

This update seemed to be much more focused on 7800, which was welcome, but yeah, thought I'd say something. 

Guys... we gotta get Klax for the 7800 working. That game is so awesome lol. It's a system seller lol

What about: Sirius, Plutos (other system sellers 😄) BBs Crystal Quest (pokey music?), Motor Psycho, Rampage, Double Dragon?

I only had 3 problem games with the new beta.  All NTSC as far as I can tell.  All are homebrews.

2600: Space Cactus Canyon - fails to load

2600: Cave In - loads, but does not run properly

7800: Possible Mission - loads, but only black screen afterwards (the fixed Impossible Mission, not a mistype LOL)

Very much improved from the 1.0 release.  

I appreciate the effort Ben & crew are putting into fixing the issues.

Edited by Thran
added error description to Possible Mission
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Hello all, 

Thanks for all the offers to try out the 1.1 beta software. More people have offered then I thought so probably best if I just provide the instructions and files here.

First of all, on my Windows 11 PC the device *did not* come up as unknown, it came up like this:
image.png.6ada5b2f51ebc368e6c6bc967786590a.png
I have installed the firmware updated for Evercade, so I assume there are some similarities here.

Second of all, I was able to get the Time Crisis 7800 Home Brew cart to work.
Thirdly, I was also able to get my demo game "7800 XMAS" running, with Pokey Music on the Dragonfly cart.

Very very nice update, looking forward to where this goes. 

-Steve

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, fultonbot said:

First of all, on my Windows 11 PC the device *did not* come up as unknown, it came up like this:
image.png.6ada5b2f51ebc368e6c6bc967786590a.png
I have installed the firmware updated for Evercade, so I assume there are some similarities here.

Second of all, I was able to get the Time Crisis 7800 Home Brew cart to work.
Thirdly, I was also able to get my demo game "7800 XMAS" running, with Pokey Music on the Dragonfly cart.

Very very nice update, looking forward to where this goes. 

-Steve

I had the same note above regarding "Evercade."

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, fultonbot said:

Would you bother to quickly test the Scrapyard Dog hacks I and KevinMos3 made? If you have Trebors collection on the Dragonfly, they should be easy to find and test.

Edited by Giles N

I tested a couple of carts I have not seen mentioned thus far:

2600 Stunt Cycle does work (with paddles)

2600 Bugs Bunny also works fine.

7800 Dig Dug seems 100% now, had the random line beneath the score fixed.

7800 KLAX still gives me a blank screen, loads, screen flashes and then blank.

7800 Popeye ALMOST works.  Demo mode works, but game crashes when you try to start, plays a few notes and locks up (my cart says it is version 2.3C)

Also, the Cuttle Cart 1 (the 2600 version) actually boots and displays the load screen correctly, but it doesn't react when you try to load a track from the audio input to play (of course).  Didn't expect it to even get that far! 

Cuttle Cart 2 (7800) doesn't work at all of course.  

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Giles N said:

Would you bother to quickly test the Scrapyard Dog hacks I and KevinMos3 made? If you have Trebors collection on the Dragonfly, they should be easy to find and test.

There were four Scrapyard dog hacks in the Homebrew directory.
All of them load to title screen, but it's corrupted.
When trying to start the game the first intro screen shows, but then the actual game never loads.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, RevEng said:

swlovinst (John Hancock) reported his Klax cart was working. Any chance yours needs a cleaning?

I don't have one. I was under the assumption it wasn't working "7800 KLAX still gives me a blank screen, loads, screen flashes and then blank."  Would love to get one tho ! 

may have to get a 2600 version of it at some point

Edited by tradyblix

So far I'm happy that the 1.1 beta did fixes I needed

I can finally have the Difficulty switches to the correct labeling now and the fix of the 7800 reversed button layout I love it too, I can finally play 7800 Asteroids with my CX40+ until I can get a custom made 7800 controller.

Sadly Star Raiders is still useless without the touchpad support I've tried every button and nothing from the touchpad.

1 hour ago, SabertoothRetro said:

Mine Klax isn't loading on the 2600+. Works fine on my 7800. Just cleaned.

Thanks for the confirmation. The original klax proto had a race condition that caused it to crash on some 7800s. I'm thinking it's related to that.

[edit - this is the issue I'm talking about, though likely it can be worked around in the emulation]

• Like 2