IGNORED

THE400 Mini

pseudografx

13 minutes ago, donjn said:

Still not understanding buttons on the orange ring.

Feel like im taking crazy pills.
Either that or the picture does not show it.

I'm guessing the buttons are under the ring for each direction (left, right, up, down) and that the plastic of the ring will flex a bit when you press the buttons.

..Al

• Like 1

I think highly unlikely it'll take cartridges - possibly the 5th USB port is under the door, otherwise probably at the back?

Looking at the spacing of the USB ports I'd estimate the computer would be about 19-22cm wide.  An Atari cart would be narrower than the door but too tall to fit under it.

Emulation somewhat devalues it, FPGA or custom remake would be preferable but then we'd probably be talking 3-4 times the price.

Though the ability to use the system with HDMI video would be appealing, likely the system price wouldn't be too much more than aquiring VBXE or a Sophia 2.

3 minutes ago, Rybags said:

hough the ability to use the system with HDMI video would be appealing, likely the system price wouldn't be too much more than aquiring VBXE or a Sophia 2.

But let's face it - not everyone has the know-how and tools to install a VBXE or Sophia board. Plus if you are making a comparison like that, you need to count in the cost of obtaining an A8 to begin with (and the biggest market for this gadget doesn't include us who already have 1 or ... more (👀). And further, VBXE output is 15khz analog RGB so you need to worry about converting that to something a modern display can use. And while Sophia can do digital video, you gotta finagle with the audio ...

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Rybags said:

possibly the 5th USB port is under the door, otherwise probably at the back?

2 minutes ago, pseudografx said:

Yes, the 5th port is at the back.

I just added a picture of it to the other pictures I posted.

8 minutes ago, Rybags said:

Emulation somewhat devalues it, FPGA or custom remake would be preferable but then we'd probably be talking 3-4 times the price.

Though the ability to use the system with HDMI video would be appealing, likely the system price wouldn't be too much more than aquiring VBXE or a Sophia 2.

2 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

But let's face it - not everyone has the know-how and tools to install a VBXE or Sophia board. Plus if you are making a comparison like that, you need to count in the cost of obtaining an A8 to begin with (and the biggest market for this gadget doesn't include us who already have 1 or ... more (👀). And further, VBXE output is 15khz analog RGB so you need to worry about converting that to something a modern display can use. And while Sophia can do digital video, you gotta finagle with the audio ...

It's mainly something for the masses to easily -- and at a moderate cost -- get into 8-bit games; but it has some appeal to enthusiasts as a living room machine for the family/kids, etc.

• Like 2

So I understand it can't take physical plug in Atari carts.... And sorry if missed this but:

What is it's ram config? Does it support say up to 1mb?

Can it run/mount up to 1mb car files? 

Will it in principle run all stock ram homebrew games, (so 'in principle' say  128k bunny hop, 128k Prince of persia)?

If 1mb support will it run the likes of the rewind demo, and things like Atariblast, space harrier and onescape? 

Does it support Atarimax flash format cars or atr's? So Flob on Atarimax max flash 8mbit carts can save progress and achievements. And bubble shooter atr can save progress for devices that provide full atr support. 

Edited by Beeblebrox

4 hours ago, pcrow said:

But zero nostalgia appeal in Europe, as the XEGS never launched there, and not much in the US, either.

This is incorrect. The XEGS did launch in Europe (especially in the UK, France, Germany and Benelux).

I own several SECAM XEGS and a few PAL XEGS.

It did sell in stores and in special catalogs.

In parallel, the SECAM 130XE was still available in France for a reduced price until the early 1990s (that's when I bought mine).

After that, mostly Eastern Europe was still getting fresh units from ATARI Corp. until 1992.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

Why did they pick the ugliest Atari to use for the case? If this was an XL model I would be all over it just for the case, but as it is, I'll pass.

I never knew so many people here had such dreadful taste. The original Atari 400 and 800 are fantastic, visually distinctive works of 70s-era humanist industrial design. The XL and XE designs are, by comparison, just cost-reduced boring boxes.

Edited by ZylonBane
  • Like 6
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

This might appeal to me as an Atari n00b. Love it. Fingers crossed that the firmware will be easier to upgrade than the 2600+...for now at least.

Just found out that this might use a libretro core...and apparently the audio for that stinks. Whoops.

Edited by r_chase

38 minutes ago, ZylonBane said:

I never knew so many people here had such dreadful taste. The original Atari 400 and 800 are fantastic, visually distinctive works of 70s-era humanist industrial design. The XL and XE designs are, by comparison, just cost-reduced boring boxes.

Tastes differ, which is a good thing. I won't dare call someone's different taste in design dreadful.

• Like 3

It seems obvious to me why the 400:

1.  Leaves room for the THE800 big brother

2.  Has 4 joystick port design which aligns with one of the packins MULE

3.  Was the original release model

I agree the 800XL is prob the best design of the 8bits, but how would a 600XL (mini) with 4 USB ports look as well as an 800XL?

The 400 with the 4 USB ports in the front look spot on.  If a THE800 comes out it will look natural as well with the 4 port layout.

I think the 400 is a good classic design - unique and obviously generates buzz :), but Ill wait to see how the emulation stacks up and ability to add my own before making a purchase decision.

• Like 1

It was the 1st model to be released.  Why should it not be the first mini-model to be released?  Maybe instead of the same old flashback 2600 for 20 years in a row, we can get yearly releases of each model of 8-bit machine.  That would satisfy everybody except those wanting the unreleased 1400 and 1450 models!

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Stephen said:

It was the 1st model to be released.  Why should it not be the first mini-model to be released?  Maybe instead of the same old flashback 2600 for 20 years in a row, we can get yearly releases of each model of 8-bit machine.  That would satisfy everybody except those wanting the unreleased 1400 and 1450 models!

This may be the only way we get a 1450XLD.

• Like 1