IGNORED

THE400 Mini

pseudografx

9 minutes ago, Stechmann said:

wait.... what? USB ports????

wtf

so joysticks and paddles are NOT interchangeable with the 2600+???

which total moron made that decision

Again, this is not supposed to be a legit Atari machine.

It's just an SOC with a fancy case running an emulator playing a selection of old games.

This is not targeted at us die hards.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, w1k said:

only emulator.. :)

1 hour ago, Steril707 said:

Guys, this is just a little SOC in a cute case with an emulator playing 8-bit Atari games. Like any other "mini"-console released out there over the last ten years.

Really??? I thought this was supposed to be an electric cheese grater.

Alright close the topic, we've all been duped...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

To clarify my edited statement, yes it is an emulator in a box and yes, it is probably using an emulator based on a crappy libretro core, BUT at least it'll easier-to-upgrade than the 2600+, with all due respect to @Ben from Plaion of course. HOWEVER, since both of these consoles are going to be upgradable, I'd say we should try to talk to the actual makers of THE400 Mini to improve on it, just like we did with 2600+.

I'm sure there will be improvement in the future. All they really need to do is fork the libretro core (if they're gonna keep the stupid rewind feature) and improve the audio. OR we could create a community image like we did with the RetroN 77...only with (probably) better and easier-to-work-with hardware.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Mercenary said:

The 400 is a weird choice.

Despite my favourite being the 130XE (for me, it's the best looking 8-bit Atari by far and I like the cartridge slot around the back) you'd think the 800XL - being the most popular - would be the choice for a mini. I guess maybe the argument is that the 400 has four joystick ports. But that’s a weak argument if they’re going for accuracy. I mean, the 400 didn’t play games that required more memory, or 5200 games, and the 400 also had a working keyboard. I doubt the mini 400 will have, just like the C64 mini didn’t. Plus, they could stick 4 ports on a 800XL mini

I'm in agreement with Mr Robot that the 400 is the ugliest of the 8 bit systems. I'll pass on this.

I would have went with the XEGS...but that's me.  Always dug the look of the XEGS even when others didn't. (I also really love the look of the Atari 800 as well).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ClausB said:

Bonus! Pre-yellowed, for those who don't want to wait 40 years!

Yeah, but is the plastic good and brittle, so it'll get broken a little during shipping? And does it smell like a 25 year old dog that's never been bathed?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

6 hours ago, Steril707 said:

Again, this is not supposed to be a legit Atari machine.

It's just an SOC with a fancy case running an emulator playing a selection of old games.

This is not targeted at us die hards.

But it can play 4-player M.U.L.E!    It's going to suck some of us die-hards in whether we like it or not!  :lol:

• Like 2

A lot of people have been discussing on why they went with the 400 as a model for this initial release. I think it is fitting since it was 45 years ago exactly when the Atari 400 and 800 was first released. For a lot of people, it was their very first computer and introduction to the Atari 8bit ecosystem then since it was the 800’s lower cost sibling.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Steril707 said:

Guys, this is just a little SOC in a cute case with an emulator playing 8-bit Atari games. Like any other "mini"-console released out there over the last ten years.

And the point is....so is the Atari 2600+, so is Gamestation Pro..

IF there is no input lag (like a true FPGA) my brain cant tell the difference.

1 minute ago, zzip said:

But it can play 4-player M.U.L.E!    It's going to suck some of us die-hards in whether we like it or not!  :lol:

I think the question is how it will handle games that need paddles or a trackball.  Also, how the 5200 controller support is going to be implemented?

1 minute ago, scorpio_ny said:

A lot of people have been discussing on why they went with the 400 as a model for this initial release. I think it is fitting since it was 45 years ago exactly when the Atari 400 and 800 was first released. For a lot of people, it was their very first computer and introduction to the Atari 8bit ecosystem then since it was the 800’s lower cost sibling.

My guess is it's because the 400 is the most unique of the Atari 8-bit designs.     Personally it's my least favorite, but I can see why it might work well for a retro designed gadget like this.

• Like 1

Just my opinion on the chosen case.  I agree with others who state the 400 and 800 are classic designs, and obviously a lot of thought was put into them.  I think the mini 400 looks great, and was a good choice for Atari's first 8-bit offering in the modern era.  Now, having said that, my first computer was an 800XL, so I also have a lot of nostalgia for that design.  While a much simpler design than the 400/800, I appreciate it's clean lines and simplicity.  I don't really care for the look of the XE versus the XL for the 8-bit line, although I do like the ST styling (which is basically the same, just, larger).   And I did use a 130XE for a few years while my 800XL was running a BBS 24/7.  :)

..Al

• Like 2