IGNORED

THE400 Mini

pseudografx

So cool this is coming out. I'm a sucker for these types of devices and will probably pick one up. 

I too was hoping the keyboard was functional. As another had said maybe it'll happen in a 800 Maxi form factor. I need to get more shelving for all these replicas from them. lol.

Would be cool if this new Atari joystick ended up being compatible with The500 mini & The C64 Maxi. 

Edited by the4thman
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, mozzwald said:

Does the keyboard work? :D

Actually, although I'm sure it doesn't, it would be the one mini where it could with that type keyboard...
It probably would be about the same size is the membrane keyboard on my TS1000 (US ZX81).

🙂

Features list includes "Rewind gameplay by upto 40 seconds."  Does that tell us which emulator they're running?

Oh, and seeing the big ATARI on the box makes it clear that this must be fully licensed.  Ignore my previous comment along those lines.

• Like 2

price is probably right. I like the fact it can run  XL/XE software. I also love the modern video out standard. Box is nice too.

Unfortunately because it can't run actual Atari carts or hook up to SIO it sort of loses the appeal. I guess maybe I am asking too much heh heh. ;)

I'd also expect it to have at least an option to use 1mb of ram.

Does this have 128k max given it supports the XE range (ergo the 130XE)? Can it run banked ram (Car) games like Atariblast, Onescape, Space harrier, or demos like Rewind. 

It's way more accomplished than a lot of modern retro units that have come out in recent years, but imho they've missed a trick with a few core things.

Personally there are plenty of unloved vintage A8s out there and I'd rather use original hardware with modern upgrades and/or multicarts. Realise this isn't for everyone.

Of course for someone who wants to enjoy the old games, have a modern machine with good video output and plug and play - I can see the appeal.

I have my vintage A8s, and also Altirra emulation. :) 

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 1

Atari 800ish emulation has never been great for me.
I still have issues with Altirra input lag.

Input lag is always the thing for me, always. Its the reason I could not stand the mini TheC64. Some are more sensitive than others and this is my thing. I know I wont get CRT-like responses but I know what works and what does not, its a feel for me.

But this could be the device I am looking for and checks a lot of boxes. Ive always wanted a quality CX40 stick that has start, select, buttons etc for use with 400, 800, 5200 etc.

I do like the new 800XL that is coming out soon because it is an FPGA solution but if this Mini 400 has super fast response time I will go with this and save money as I assume the 800 will be $299.

Edited by donjn

1 hour ago, the4thman said:

So cool this is coming out. I'm a sucker for these types of devices and will probably pick one up. 

I too was hoping the keyboard was functional. As another had said maybe it'll happen in a 800 Maxi form factor. I need to get more shelving for all these replicas from them. lol.

Would be cool if this new Atari joystick ended up being compatible with The500 mini & The C64 Maxi. 

It's half scale, the full size 400 keyboard is barely big enough to type on.

As for the stick, it's usb so don't see why it won't work.

The usb c64 mini/maxi gamepad is a suggested add on so pretty sure any usb stick will work 🤞Screenshot_20240111-182710.thumb.png.ec151e92329c2494dcfaff24df57649d.png

Wow! That is a nice mini version!

@TrogdarRobusto I really really hope that you guys will NOT use the libretro 800 core, that emulator produces very distorted sound, especially with PAL-games.

Example here (of the modified firmware for the Atari Flashback 9/X, which is using the libretro 800 core)

Edited by Fred_M
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Bill Loguidice said:

Reports are $119.99.

I've said it before and I'll say it again... The previous Atari regime was rather tone deaf, but this current regime seems to genuinely understand the market (and reasonable products).

Amen Bill.  Atari has lots of things at its disposal and products like this (along with the games they have been releasing) are most welcomed.  I / We can only hope that there is lots more yet to come.

• Like 1

I guess I'm gonna be the first negative voice.

Why did they pick the ugliest Atari to use for the case? If this was an XL model I would be all over it just for the case, but as it is, I'll pass.

Rewinding + Save states almost certainly makes this a retroarch emulation which is atari800 3.1.0 from 2019. Current atari800 is 5.2.0 but the retroarch core hasn't been updated, instead some mods have been made to 3.1.0 so the source tree is no longer in sync.

I'm glad to see someone is looking in the Atari 8-bits direction but did it really have to be these guys? These are the people who sent Revive Machines RM800XL a C&D for their upcoming project, also used Amiberry in the A500mini but shat on the developer so hard he won't even offer support for the emulator to users of the machine now. They also poop all over the open source licensing for the software in these things. I'd expect any changes they make to the retroarch core for this not to be contributed back to the retroarch project, they have form in this area.

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

Just now, pcrow said:

I hope they also sell the joystick separately.  It would likely be perfect for people already using emulators, so it might sell better than the 400 itself.

Yes I've seen pics of "The CX40" today so that is happening, apparently it works with the c64 mini as well