IGNORED

THE400 Mini

pseudografx

4 hours ago, Bill Loguidice said:

So I do think even if it's not quite all there, it deserves a little bit of special consideration so future products centered around the platform will be possible. Certainly, if it's truly awful, that's a different story, but I find that highly unlikely. It only has to be good enough.

Honestly, I'm not yet sold on this device - there's more I want to know.  But M.U.L.E. built-in, support for four controller ports and easy hookup to modern TV's make this machine compelling on that point alone.  I've wanted a machine that I could bring to a friend's house to host a M.U.L.E. party and this product, assuming it doesn't suck, really fits the bill.

I also find it interesting that a group of people has declared Retroarch A8 core as the emulator employed in this console, despite no official declaration, and then started beating up Atari over it.  At least find out for sure before getting out your pitchforks.

Edited by FifthPlayer
  • Like 4

32 minutes ago, donjn said:
4 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

That's a very valid point. This may be a reason for me to get one, even if I think it's so ugly it hurts my soul. 

WE GET IT, you think its ugly. Noted and logged, 3 times already...

That's like calling someone's wife or first love ugly.  Maybe some of us that had this machine as their first computer in 1982 like the look of it?  Feel free to bag on it for shit emulation core, but not for the case design.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jetboot Jack said:

I have a TheC64 Maxi and it’s great, there is a community around theses systems that has hacked them all - adding better emulators, editing the built in games carousel etc…

That's good to know. I expected it to be the case, but hadn't looked into that aspect yet. I had seen some reviews for TheC64 (and TheA500), before, and watched them again when this was announced. I know there'd been plenty of firmware updates for TheC64, but hacks by the community were also of interest. Thanks for the info.

As an enthusiast, this is the kind of stuff that makes me more interested.

I preordered mine while I was on break at work earlier. I checked YouTube and one of the channels I subscribe to dropped the news that it was available for preorder on Amazon (US version) so I ordered it there. I also ordered a second controller. It might be fun to mess with that on a computer too.

We had the 5200 when I was a kid, but we never had any of the Atari computers. I've looked into possibly getting one, but they're pretty expensive. So, I'm really looking forward to this.

• Like 2

I have an 800XL and I'm very happy with it, yet I'm still strangely tempted to buy this A400 Mini.

Is there anyone in the same boat, people who have original hardware but are buying the A400 Mini anyway?  Why?

(Basically I'm looking to see if anyone has a good reason to get one that I haven't thought of)

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, scifidude79 said:

I preordered mine while I was on break at work earlier. I checked YouTube and one of the channels I subscribe to dropped the news that it was available for preorder on Amazon (US version) so I ordered it there. I also ordered a second controller. It might be fun to mess with that on a computer too.

We had the 5200 when I was a kid, but we never had any of the Atari computers. I've looked into possibly getting one, but they're pretty expensive. So, I'm really looking forward to this.

Cant find it on Amazon US.

EDIT: Found it 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CS3VD9TJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by donjn

So to repeat but I've asked a few times and searched for specs and the answers to my questions posed here, which I won't bother repeating in this reply 😉😁

Anyone know? 

Specs just say 256MB; FLASH: 128MB, but nothing of what limit is for games you might wanna run (1mb car's?) 

If we can't run our homebrew games like Flob, (latter ATR allows progress and achievements to be saved on current supporting devices), Atariblast! or Onescape - then that's a serious limitation.

Homebrew is one of the key things that keeps the Atari scene going, maintains interest and hooks some new people in. 

Edited by Beeblebrox

17 hours ago, donjn said:

And the point is....so is the Atari 2600+, so is Gamestation Pro..

IF there is no input lag (like a true FPGA) my brain cant tell the difference.

The point is that some people in this thread are wondering if this will have full blown functionality, eg SIO, working Keyboard, cart slots, etc.

It won't.

On 1/12/2024 at 10:48 AM, MrFish said:

Really??? I thought this was supposed to be an electric cheese grater.

Alright close the topic, we've all been duped...

Considering 80% of people here are asking if this thing will be able to run Fujinet or have SIO ports your cheap shot is a bit lame.

Maybe you could try to be helpful to people here as well instead of acting like a jackass.

Edited by Steril707
  • Confused 1

39 minutes ago, Steril707 said:

Considering 80% of people here are asking if this thing will be able to run Fujinet or have SIO ports your cheap shot is a bit lame.

80%?? bullcrap... more like 0.8%... yeah, the majority of us are completely clueless here as to what we're looking at without your extremely insightful comments.

43 minutes ago, Steril707 said:

Maybe you could try to be helpful to people here as well instead of acting like a jackass.

"Helpful", yeah, you are, to a class full of kindergarteners.

6 hours ago, akator said:

I have an 800XL and I'm very happy with it, yet I'm still strangely tempted to buy this A400 Mini.

Is there anyone in the same boat, people who have original hardware but are buying the A400 Mini anyway?  Why?

(Basically I'm looking to see if anyone has a good reason to get one that I haven't thought of)

I have the 800 and 800XL but have pre-ordered The400 Mini.

Apart from it looking very cool I want to support anything to do with the A8 lineage.  The ability to easily connect to a new tv via hdmi, usb loading and joystick support are major selling points.

Although Retro Games aren't a company that I am particularly fond of due to certain business practices, the products they have released so far were well put together (apart from the original joystick they released) and have had firmware support.  I currently use the TheVic20, A500 Mini and TheC64 Mini on a regular basis.  Hopefull if The400 sells then in the future a Maxi A8 with working keyboard will be released.  And an ST possibly!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

So to repeat but I've asked a few times and searched for specs and the answers to my questions posed here, which I won't bother repeating in this reply 😉😁

Anyone know? 

Specs just say 256MB; FLASH: 128MB, but nothing of what limit is for games you might wanna run (1mb car's?) 

If we can't run our homebrew games like Flob, (latter ATR allows progress and achievements to be saved on current supporting devices), Atariblast! or Onescape - then that's a serious limitation.

Homebrew is one of the key things that keeps the Atari scene going, maintains interest and hooks some new people in. 

I would be interested to know if there is support for any homebrew software that uses more than 64k ie Prince of Persia (128k)

Let's be fair: the scope of this thing is just to have a simple and direct way to play A8 games in your current-gen TV. Having said that, it is expected that it won't be able to sport an SIO port, PBI, ECI, cartridge port and so on.

The same happened with the C64 mini, that doesn't have user port, iec port, cart port, etc...

It's just a simple device, maybe with some aspirations to become a collectable item in the near future.

For me, it's something that does not inspire much appeal, I'm fine with the original hardware and other emulation options. But we are enthusiasts, not just a casual gamer interested in reviving or get acquainted with the platform.

Just my humble 2 cents...

Let's play our Ataris, folks, in any way that fits your will (or bill).

Edited by Peruchi
Input mistake
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Bill Loguidice said:
  1. Airball
  2. Battlezone (how?!)
  3. Berzerk
  4. Boulderdash
  5. Capture the Flag
  6. Crystal Castles
  7. Elektra Glide
  8. Henry's House
  9. Lee (aka, Bruce Lee)
  10. Millipede
  11. Missile Command
  12. M.U.L.E.
  13. Star Raiders II
  14. The Seven Cities of Gold
  15. Yoomp!

Ten to go.

Yoomp! PAL or NTSC ?

What would add appeal is if you can break out of the factory environment and do general system emulation on it, without modifying the hardware itself.

I just don't know about these things - I bought one of those C64 joysticks on eBay over 10 years ago and have barely touched it.

It's nice and all to have a remake of the old case but equally you could just get something 3D printed and put a Raspberry Pi inside it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, donjn said:

I couldn't find it either. I searched, but my break was almost up. So, I went back to the YT post and clicked on the provided link. Luckily, that opened in the Amazon app and I was able to order. Sometimes, I just shake my head at Amazon's search results. 🙄

2 hours ago, TheMontezuma said:

Yoomp! PAL or NTSC ?

It doesn't matter. Emulation can run in either mode, regardless of which standard your TV/monitor uses. The only thing that might be affected (if the emulator supports it) is the difference in pixel aspect ratio.

10 hours ago, akator said:

I've got multiple 400,800, xl, xe and emulation via pi, MiSTer FPGA and Xbox etc etc.

Still getting one 

Why? Because I like the look of it. It can sit in the family room without me being moaned at for all the cables everywhere, it can work on my plasma TV without messing about with video converters and audio injectors and I can throw it in an overnight bag to take away on holiday or business trips.

And I think this gen of Atari are really trying to do something good so I'm going to back this one

Edited by mimo
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Rybags said:

It's nice and all to have a remake of the old case but equally you could just get something 3D printed and put a Raspberry Pi inside it.

You absolutely can, though that takes this device from "Click Buy and done" to a DIY project, which doesn't have the same kind of appeal.

Edited by FifthPlayer
  • Like 1