IGNORED

THE400 Mini

pseudografx

3 minutes ago, zzip said:

It's funny,  I had EletraGlide on an A8/C64 Flippy disk, so I took it to a Commodore friend's house to play.   Back then I would have sworn the C64 was better.   I think it was a case of 'grass is greener'  I was enamored with how the SID music had sounds I would never hear on my A8, but would ignore the superior colors and shading on A8.   Now if I compare both side by side, the A8 version is clearly better

That was one of the few Mastertronic games where that was the case. Usually the Atari 8-bit was the lazier version.

9 minutes ago, zzip said:

Since this is a 3rd party creation, Atari didn't do the licensing, right?   3rd parties seem to license games we wish Atari would.  

I find it unlikely they went to the Battlezone rights holders, just like it's unlikely they went to EA for Seven Cities of Gold. Perhaps those two games will also have different names and modified title/load screens? That was the move with "Lee."

1 minute ago, Bill Loguidice said:

I find it unlikely they went to the Battlezone rights holders, just like it's unlikely they went to EA for Seven Cities of Gold. Perhaps those two games will also have different names and modified title/load screens? That was the move with "Lee."

Since they got both MULE and Seven Cities, I'm guessing they went to whomever has the rights to Ozark Softscape's titles these days.   Since they have these two and no other EA titles, perhaps EA doesn't own them?   Battlezone is a bigger surprise to me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, zzip said:

Since they got both MULE and Seven Cities, I'm guessing they went to whomever has the rights to Ozark Softscape's titles these days.   Since they have these two and no other EA titles, perhaps EA doesn't own them?   Battlezone is a bigger surprise to me.

Great point. I can't believe I overlooked that. Clearly the rights must have reverted, so no need for EA to be involved. Now we just need to figure out the Battlezone thing. Obviously, it would be much easier to know if we had an official list to see if the Battlezone name was being used or not (and with an official list we might get the list of copyrights, etc.). Even so, Battlezone on the Atari 8-bit is pretty much the same as the arcade version, so I don't think that would necessarily work. And it certainly wouldn't be cost-effective to get the rights to Battlezone for this type of product. It's indeed a mystery.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bill Loguidice said:

Great point. I can't believe I overlooked that. Clearly the rights must have reverted, so no need for EA to be involved. Now we just need to figure out the Battlezone thing. Obviously, it would be much easier to know if we had an official list to see if the Battlezone name was being used or not (and with an official list we might get the list of copyrights, etc.). Even so, Battlezone on the Atari 8-bit is pretty much the same as the arcade version, so I don't think that would necessarily work. And it certainly wouldn't be cost-effective to get the rights to Battlezone for this type of product. It's indeed a mystery.

Maybe one of the unknown games will be "Rescue On Fractalus" with the name changed to "Behind Jaggi Lines" to avoid the wrath of Lucasfilm :lol:

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Bill Loguidice said:

Yes, it is, which I find VERY interesting. EA doesn't license out classic content anymore, so perhaps the rights reverted to the developers or something.

So we have:

1. Airball
  2. Battlezone (how?!)
  3. Berzerk
  4. Boulderdash
  5. Capture the Flag
  6. Crystal Castles
  7. Elektra Glide
  8. Lee (aka, Bruce Lee)
  9. Millipede
  10. M.U.L.E.
  11. Star Raiders II
  12. The Seven Cities of Gold  (how?!)
  13. Zorro (it's likely it might be named something else)
  14. Yoomp!

There may also be Centipede in the middle left and something I can't quite place in the upper right. That would get us to 16.

Missile Command is at the bottom of the screen, so there's another. Top right corner is Henry's House, I believe.

18 hours ago, ZylonBane said:

I never knew so many people here had such dreadful taste. The original Atari 400 and 800 are fantastic, visually distinctive works of 70s-era humanist industrial design. The XL and XE designs are, by comparison, just cost-reduced boring boxes.

Yeah,

especially the 1400XL, 1450XLD, 1600XL and 1850XLD computers - heavily cost reduced. They reduced cost so much, that they even did not (regularly) produce them.

And Beetle's 1500XL laptop thats such a boring box, which everyone would like to own.  😜

Elektra Glide was an English Software title, it was published by Mastertronic in the US but I doubt that Mastertronic would be the people it would be licensed from. 

English Software did some great titles, maybe that's a clue to some of the other built in games?

Here's a thought, will the emulation auto change speed between PAL/NTSC titles or allow you to pick the speed? 

Will the 5200 emulation in the atari800 core be improved as it's pretty neglected just now. 

Edited by Mr Robot

Back to the 400 being the ugliest of the A8's, it's surprising that an English company would choose the most popular American machine over the most popular UK/European machine. 

I notice that Revive 800 is still being produced, you think maybe Retrogames sold/licensed the 800XL look to them so now they have to pick something else? 

2 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

...it's surprising that an English company would choose the most popular American machine over the most popular UK/European machine. 

Because Americans are wayyyyyyyyy moreeeeeeeee important. :D

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

48 minutes ago, davidcalgary29 said:

Missile Command is at the bottom of the screen, so there's another. Top right corner is Henry's House, I believe.

1. Airball
  2. Battlezone (how?!)
  3. Berzerk
  4. Boulderdash
  5. Capture the Flag
  6. Crystal Castles
  7. Elektra Glide
  8. Henry's House
  9. Lee (aka, Bruce Lee)
  10. Millipede
  11. Missile Command
  12. M.U.L.E.
  13. Star Raiders II
  14. The Seven Cities of Gold
  15. Yoomp!

Ten to go.

3 minutes ago, zzip said:

I'm not sure the 400 is the most popular American machine, I think the 800XL was

So they picked a machine that is liked and was popular in the USA (it hardly sold at all in Europe in comparison) over the machine that was the most popular everywhere... 

Maybe there is a reason why they couldn't use the 800xl

1 minute ago, Mr Robot said:

So they picked a machine that is liked and was popular in the USA (it hardly sold at all in Europe in comparison) over the machine that was the most popular everywhere... 

Maybe there is a reason why they couldn't use the 800xl

It was probably nothing more than it being the first model, iconic/infamous keyboard, and as good of a choice as any. It's not like how it looks would sway sales notably one way or the other, particularly if a later design was used as the model. It's hard enough to get people to understand that no, the keyboard doesn't work, no, it doesn't take cartridges, no, it's actually really small, etc.

2 minutes ago, Bill Loguidice said:

It's hard enough to get people to understand that no, the keyboard doesn't work, no, it doesn't take cartridges, no, it's actually really small, etc.

All people have to do is look at some reviews for the other minis they sell. It pretty much tells you what to expect.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

I think they picked the machine with the most unique design.    I don't think it's the most well-liked,  the 400 design seems to be either "love it or hate it",  it's easily the most divisive.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MrFish said:

All people have to do is look at some reviews for the other minis they sell. It pretty much tells you what to expect.

How are you so not jaded? ;-) That's a BIG ask. Most people (in this case, the average Atari and/or retro enthusiast) make assumptions first and "research" later. It's especially bad on the various Facebook groups (including AtariAge).

• Haha 4