IGNORED

THE400 Mini

pseudografx

4 minutes ago, Bill Loguidice said:

Where do you see the driving game and "Zorro"? I can see Zorro getting the Lee treatment potentially, but I'd be surprised about TGACCRR, since that's an Activision property.

It's at the 22s mark in the video at Amazon UK.

I see now that M.U.L.E. is one of the games. That should please a lot of people...

Just now, DjayBee said:

I hesitate to claim that many because many of those are just tables made with Pinball Construction Set. Really, most of the major paddle games for the ATari 8-bit were from Atari I think, with the occasional addition from publishers like Datasoft. Similarly, for the C-64 and VIC-20, most of the major paddle games were from Commodore, although there are a few notable exceptions like for Arkanoid and Questron. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bill Loguidice said:

That looks like MULE at the 22s mark. What about the racing game?

I can't figure out what it is! The mountains and the tree are rendered nicely...which rules out 99% of A8 driving games from the '80s. And that dashboard is unfamiliar, too. Maybe a European game?

1 minute ago, davidcalgary29 said:

I can't figure out what it is! The mountains and the tree are rendered nicely...which rules out 99% of A8 driving games from the '80s. And that dashboard is unfamiliar, too. Maybe a European game?

No, I mean where in the video?

• Like 1

25 games seems a bit sparse for one of these things. I know you can load your own games, but part of the attraction is the built-in games that you scroll through with artwork, etc. IDK, maybe that part can be hacked to add individual games and artwork, like people have done with the NES mini and others. I'm not sure if something similar has already been done with TheC64 mini or not. It's been around for long enough.

Just now, MrFish said:

25 games seems a bit sparse. I know you can load your own games, but part of the attraction is the built-in games that you scroll through with artwork, etc. IDK, maybe that part can be hacked to add individual games and artwork, like people have done with the NES mini and others. I'm not sure if something similar has already been done with TheC64 mini or not. It's been around for long enough.

I suspect one of the reasons we haven't seen much related to Atari 8-bit in the mainstream is precisely because of the lack of available IP outside of what Atari themselves owns. So 25 is about right. It's been easier with the Commodore stuff because there have been collections of games from various publishers (mostly from the European side) that have made it relatively easy to put together different combinations and more than "just" 25. I'd still say it's worth supporting regardless of the built-in game count as it's a relatively underrepresented platform in terms of mainstream coverage.

11 minutes ago, davidcalgary29 said:

9 minutes ago, davidcalgary29 said:

Right side of the video -- screen above Berzerk at 22s.

I think you're talking about Elektra Glide.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MrFish said:

I think you're talking about Elektra Glide.

You know I was thinking that it might be a Mastertronic game for a hot second, but thought "but I don't remember the graphics being that nice". I was wrong! I didn't play Elektra Glide in the '80s, even though I had a few Mastertronic flippies.

16 minutes ago, DjayBee said:

But remove all those pinball tables (which are really the same game) how many is it?   I see a few breakout/kaboom/circus Atari clones that benefit from paddles,  And a number of games that work as well or better with joystick.

For me, not having paddles won't hurt the experience at all, but if you're a fan of the games that absolutely need them, you will of course have a different opinion.

• Like 1

Just now, davidcalgary29 said:

I think that the game above is Seven Cities of Gold, and not Zorro.

Yes, it is, which I find VERY interesting. EA doesn't license out classic content anymore, so perhaps the rights reverted to the developers or something.

So we have:

1. Airball
  2. Battlezone (how?!)
  3. Berzerk
  4. Boulderdash
  5. Capture the Flag
  6. Crystal Castles
  7. Elektra Glide
  8. Lee (aka, Bruce Lee)
  9. Millipede
  10. M.U.L.E.
  11. Star Raiders II
  12. The Seven Cities of Gold  (how?!)
  13. Zorro (it's likely it might be named something else)
  14. Yoomp!

There may also be Centipede in the middle left and something I can't quite place in the upper right. That would get us to 16.

6 minutes ago, davidcalgary29 said:

You know I was thinking that it might be a Mastertronic game for a hot second, but thought "but I don't remember the graphics being that nice". I was wrong! I didn't play Elektra Glide in the '80s, even though I had a few Mastertronic flippies.

I didn't really appreciate how good Elektraglide looked at the time,  it was a cheap budget game, I didn't expect much from graphics.   But looking at it now, it does stand out among A8 games!

Edited by zzip
  • Like 1

Just now, zzip said:

I didn't really appreciate how good Elektraglide looked at the time,  it was a cheap budget game, I didn't expect much from graphics,  but looking at it now, it does stand out among A8 games.

That's also a perfect example of a game being designed with a particular platform in mind and being garbage on the other systems it was ported to.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bill Loguidice said:

I suspect one of the reasons we haven't seen much related to Atari 8-bit in the mainstream is precisely because of the lack of available IP outside of what Atari themselves owns. So 25 is about right. It's been easier with the Commodore stuff because there have been collections of games from various publishers (mostly from the European side) that have made it relatively easy to put together different combinations and more than "just" 25. I'd still say it's worth supporting regardless of the built-in game count as it's a relatively underrepresented platform in terms of mainstream coverage.

Yeah, I'm not saying it isn't worth supporting because of that; but 40 - 50 seems like a minimum for something like this. I find it rather hard to believe that they can't dig up some more games to include; but I'd not want to see any shovelware on it.

If they're not going to include more games, it would greatly add value to the device if there was a simple way to add games to the system with artwork and so forth (I don't mind bringing my own artwork, in fact I prefer it). I can browse lists of files in any emulator...

Personally, I'll wait until the price drops, though -- which it will.

2 minutes ago, MrFish said:

Yeah, I'm not saying it isn't worth supporting because of that; but 40 - 50 seems like a minimum for something like this. I find it rather hard to believe that they can't dig up some more games to include; but I'd not want to see any shovelware on it.

If they're not going to include more games, it would be greatly add value to the device if there was a simple way to add games to the system with artwork and so forth. I can browse lists of files in any emulator...

Personally, I'll wait until the price drops, though -- which it will.

25 is very low for a system like this. But I think putting 25 and not 75 or 100 is a *wink wink* basically telling us to just download and add more roms.

1 minute ago, Bill Loguidice said:

That's also a perfect example of a game being designed with a particular platform in mind and being garbage on the other systems it was ported to.

It's funny,  I had EletraGlide on an A8/C64 Flippy disk, so I took it to a Commodore friend's house to play.   Back then I would have sworn the C64 was better.   I think it was a case of 'grass is greener'  I was enamored with how the SID music had sounds I would never hear on my A8, but would ignore the superior colors and shading on A8.   Now if I compare both side by side, the A8 version is clearly better

• Like 1