IGNORED

New(ish) 7800 Games and Accessories Giveaway

I'd love to see reissues of some classic Atari 2600 games BUT with added simultanious multiplayer options. Missile Command, Breakout,  Berzerk, so many others we all love would be amazing to play with family and friends AT THE SAME TIME! I think that would add a whole new level to a lot of games. 

If multicarts are the way forward for 2600 releases let's get one that's every release by US Games! Imagine the excitement of flipping some dip switches to change Gopher to Squeeze Box! Tired of Entombed!? Bust out those paddles for Eggomania! 

Food Fight is the best video game for the 7800 (or any other system) so I'm crossing my fingers for a Food Fight Frenzy release I can play on the 2600+. I don't know much about Food Fight Frenzy yet, but it looks like Food Fight so I'm already completely sold. More Charley Chuck please.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Crazy Climber said:

I get it man, I do...

For some games it makes sense (and I did mention that) but for many of them it seems kind of unnecessary...

I guess if people are buying them though its a good move for the company. I'm just kind of surprised there is that much interest in say an "Outlaw" remake. Thats a pretty common game thats not really on the "A list" if you know what I mean

The multicarts sound interesting though...

Ultimately I really do want Atari to succeed...I'm a fan and will support as much as I can. Ive got a VCS and an Atari 2600+ but I kind of draw the line at buying games I already own, or can acquire originals much cheaper (food fight for instance) I understand its a good way for Atari to (cost effectively) get software out but...

I wonder how many people saying they want or support these reissues of old games (they likely already own in some form, flashcards, etc) are actually PURCHASING them? 

It would be easy for me to say "remake Ninja golf" since I don't own it and its expensive with the box, but am I going to actually pay $30, $40 or $50+ for it? Probably not...

Just thought I owed it to Atari to be honest...I'm not very interested in remakes of the same old games. 

but if other people are buying them and its making Atari some decent money....I totally support it 😃 so don't get me wrong here!

By the way - Plutos and Sirius are 2 games that could really benefit from some minor tweaking. I think they would play well with some very small "enhancements" (assuming these IP are owned by Atari?) I don't know though...maybe not? 😄 

Just post what you want to see released.

This was the first post on the thread.

“just post in the thread what 2600 or 7800 game you'd like to see Atari release - re-issue of an old game, port from a different system, perhaps a newly developed game?”

Thats the best thing about the Atari 2600+. It runs old and new cartridges. If you want to acquire originals much cheaper that’s great, But you’ll most likely acquire a deteriorating copy. One with damaged label! Most likely without a box and manual.

Speaking for myself I purchased the Atari 2600+ looking to buy Brand new homebrews, Brand new rereleases of games and New releases.

Who would have thought in our lifetime we would see the Atari 2600/7800 brought back to life!

Have You Played Atari Today!

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, SuperZapperRecharge said:

Adventure but make the mazes huge, nearly impossible. Add a lot more enemies. Add a lot more Easter eggs. Call it "The Next Adventure". Have it be a 64K rom. Keep the square as the protagonist.

Add other characters from other Atari games.

I believe Robert DeCrescenzo was working on Adventure 3 for the 7800, but had to stop due to the buyout of AtariAge.  Let's revive that!

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

post in the thread what 2600 or 7800 game you'd like to see Atari release - re-issue of an old game, port from a different system, perhaps a newly developed game?

First pick would be a port of Warlords for the 7800. Second choice would be an Empire Strikes Back port.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, bent_pin said:

Dark Cavern 7800. More bad guys, more twists and turns in the levels, enhanced sprites, pokey sounds. @GoldLeader

18 minutes ago, Marc Fiorillo said:

I believe Robert DeCrescenzo was working on Adventure 3 for the 7800, but had to stop due to the buyout of AtariAge.  Let's revive that!

There we go!  ^^^^THESE!!!!

Actually,  Anything Bob DeCrescenzo will work!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Crazy Climber said:

I get it man, I do...

For some games it makes sense (and I did mention that) but for many of them it seems kind of unnecessary...

I guess if people are buying them though its a good move for the company. I'm just kind of surprised there is that much interest in say an "Outlaw" remake. Thats a pretty common game thats not really on the "A list" if you know what I mean

The multicarts sound interesting though...

Ultimately I really do want Atari to succeed...I'm a fan and will support as much as I can. Ive got a VCS and an Atari 2600+ but I kind of draw the line at buying games I already own, or can acquire originals much cheaper (food fight for instance) I understand its a good way for Atari to (cost effectively) get software out but...

I wonder how many people saying they want or support these reissues of old games (they likely already own in some form, flashcards, etc) are actually PURCHASING them? 

It would be easy for me to say "remake Ninja golf" since I don't own it and its expensive with the box, but am I going to actually pay $30, $40 or $50+ for it? Probably not...

Just thought I owed it to Atari to be honest...I'm not very interested in remakes of the same old games. 

but if other people are buying them and its making Atari some decent money....I totally support it 😃 so don't get me wrong here!

By the way - Plutos and Sirius are 2 games that could really benefit from some minor tweaking. I think they would play well with some very small "enhancements" (assuming these IP are owned by Atari?) I don't know though...maybe not? 😄 

I think for Atari to succeed it needs to go forward based on what is past.  Best way to leverage a name that brought so much happiness to so many of us over the years.  And my teenage self really wants to see all of this succeed, and I love to see what could have been, and now can be again!

What I want to see for game releases follows some themes:

1. New titles, especially arcade classics for the 7800.  It deserved a lot more love back in the day than it got, and here we are 30 years later seeing that happen, especially in the homebrew space.

2. I definitely believe in re-releases, especially of games that did not have a wide release, whether they were sold in exclusive locations (Atari Club comes to mind) or at the tail end of the crash, where copies were not plentiful, or retail chains decided not to take these games seriously because Nintendo.  Also, I agree with John Stamos Mullet: time to undercut all these eBay sellers who want to sell these carts at ridiculous prices.  I'm all about the capitalism and making a buck, but I care about the hobby more.  Everyone who wants a shot at obtaining these games should get that chance, and at a reasonable price.  And if Atari does this at reasonable prices (which I'm okay with the 30 dollar price point its been using - beyond that, not so much), then hopefully they can succeed, and be with us for a long time.

3. Any of the games Atari release over the past couple of years as limited editions.  There should be a regular release of those games so the rest of us can enjoy them.  Save Mary, Aquaventure, Saboteur, and Yars Return.  I'm not against a collectors' version for those that are into that, but lets make sure there is a reasonably priced version for the masses (small as we may be!). 

Of course I remember that patience is a virtue here, as Atari's abilities are limited compared to its heyday, but that's my dream!

Don't get me started on my 5200 wishlist!

P.S.  I'm looking for work...hey Atari, I'm looking at you!!

• Like 4

I'd love to see what talented developers could do porting "The Way of the Exploding Fist" from the C64 to the 2600+ via 7800 mode. I shudder to think what the music might sound like though...   😬

• Like 2

I'd love to see even more 7800 games return; Dark Chambers is top of the list, I think.

Desert Falcon and Pole Position II are also up there for me, but there'd be plenty more if licensing weren't an issue!

The same applies for the 2600 games I'd like to see return; imagine an Activision multi-cart with dip switches, featuring games like Pitfall, Chopper Command, H.E.R.O. and Keystone Kapers, for example. If only!

• Like 5

I'd like to see Dark Chambers and Commando for 7800.

But most of all, I'd like to see some brand new game release for 7800. So that I can experience this pleasure of waiting for a new yet-unknown game, then buy it on the real cart (just like it should be), cool manual in color, beautiful box, and then be super-excited before I plug it to 7800. Just like in the old days... Only that I couldn't do it in the old days because I was growing up in the communist Czechoslovakia and we were not allowed to have these imperialist pleasures 🙂 So basically I have nostalgia for times that I have never known (btw, such a sentiment even has its own name - anemoia).

So I'd like Atari to help me and my peers with this anemoia 😉

• Like 6

14 hours ago, Marc Fiorillo said:

I think for Atari to succeed it needs to go forward based on what is past.  Best way to leverage a name that brought so much happiness to so many of us over the years.  And my teenage self really wants to see all of this succeed, and I love to see what could have been, and now can be again!

What I want to see for game releases follows some themes:

1. New titles, especially arcade classics for the 7800.  It deserved a lot more love back in the day than it got, and here we are 30 years later seeing that happen, especially in the homebrew space.

2. I definitely believe in re-releases, especially of games that did not have a wide release, whether they were sold in exclusive locations (Atari Club comes to mind) or at the tail end of the crash, where copies were not plentiful, or retail chains decided not to take these games seriously because Nintendo.  Also, I agree with John Stamos Mullet: time to undercut all these eBay sellers who want to sell these carts at ridiculous prices.  I'm all about the capitalism and making a buck, but I care about the hobby more.  Everyone who wants a shot at obtaining these games should get that chance, and at a reasonable price.  And if Atari does this at reasonable prices (which I'm okay with the 30 dollar price point its been using - beyond that, not so much), then hopefully they can succeed, and be with us for a long time.

3. Any of the games Atari release over the past couple of years as limited editions.  There should be a regular release of those games so the rest of us can enjoy them.  Save Mary, Aquaventure, Saboteur, and Yars Return.  I'm not against a collectors' version for those that are into that, but lets make sure there is a reasonably priced version for the masses (small as we may be!). 

Of course I remember that patience is a virtue here, as Atari's abilities are limited compared to its heyday, but that's my dream!

Don't get me started on my 5200 wishlist!

P.S.  I'm looking for work...hey Atari, I'm looking at you!!

Completely agree with you on point 3 there, all of those please!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, susy said:

Se fosse possibile mi piacerebbe vedere "I predatori dell'arca perduta" migliorato per il 7800.

And I wouldn't mind Gyruss either.

Raiders of the Lost Ark? I’ve tried it once I think, not sure what I was doing lol!

E mi piace Gyruss!

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, MrChickenz said:

Tunnel Runner would be a really good choice. Not sure who has the rights though.
Or
🕹🕹🕹🕹🕹  AIR RAIDERS   🕹🕹🕹🕹🕹

Tunnel Runner is one of the best 2600 games. Perhaps a 7800 version would be nice. It's a CBS game though, so I assume they still own the rights. 

• Like 3