IGNORED

Atari 7800+ announced, along with 10 new games and 2 new controllers

Ben from Plaion

All these new games are thrilling!  Official releases from Robert DeCrescenzo! Wireless controllers compatible with both 2600+ and 7800+! Filling gaps with M-Network multicart! Save feature on Caverns of Mars!  Fantastic!  Have I played Atari today, tomorrow, the next day.....

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

They are all interchangable games and accessories between the 2600+ and 7800+. Thats why Atari introduced the A+ platform to signify that its compatible on both machines. You'll need to be on the latest firmware on a 2600+ for most of these new releases. The 7800+ (and recently manufactured 2600+ machines) come with latest firmware.

Does it run the same software and will be the upgrade process the same as on 2600+?

I would expect 2600+ Rev2 and 7800+ are basically the same machine with a different look?

Thought about a 2nd 2600+ but this looks interesting🤗

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JetmanUK said:

@Ben from Plaion

Thanks and well done to you and all involed, a huge announcement.

A couple of questions:

Is Caverns of Mars Conquest of Mars with minor changes?

Are all the 2600 games NTSC? (Hope so!)

Thanks

Yes, Caverns of Mars is Conquest of Mars, I believe there has been some changes made, details will follow.

Indeed all the 2600 games are NTSC

• Like 2

Just now, Ben from Plaion said:

Yes, Caverns of Mars is Conquest of Mars, I believe there has been some changes made, details will follow.

Indeed all the 2600 games are NTSC

Conquest of Mars, now officially licensed. 👍🏻😊

Great news about NTSC, makes sense. 

Will be ordering from Amazon again I guess. I need to head over there now.  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, DEANJIMMY said:

Does it run the same software and will be the upgrade process the same as on 2600+?

I would expect 2600+ Rev2 and 7800+ are basically the same machine with a different look?

Thought about a 2nd 2600+ but this looks interesting🤗

There are some differences, for one the 7800+ comes with the new cartridge socket (and so do newly manufactured 2600+) plus there are some changes to the dumper/controller chips and how they work. I'll be providing more details as we go along.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

6 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

The Plaion Benelux office distribute the 2600+ and 7800+ in their territory.

I understand, but at the moment there are no retailers who are selling the latest 2600+ products like the CX78 pad. We have to buy them from Germany.

Official retailer bol.com only sells the 2600+ ( € 97), no games,no accessoires) and also Amazon.nl sells the 2600+ console only.

Edited by Fred_M

4 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

There are some differences, for one the 7800+ comes with the new cartridge socket (and so do newly manufactured 2600+) plus there are some changes to the dumper/controller chips and how they work. I'll be providing more details as we go along.

So in simple terms this is an all around improvement, new socket, new chips, wireless controller, latest firmware plus new game?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Ok, will my Trakball be able to work on the 2600+ or only on the 7800+ with the new chips? 😉

• Haha 1

Mighty Need Reaction GIF

Alright I just bought a 7800+, an extra controller, and all 10 games. I forgot Bob in the original order:

bill murray film GIF

So I had to place a 2nd order, but I picked up ninja golf, food fight, and fatal run with Bob.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

46 minutes ago, OldSchoolRetroGamer said:

This does beg the question though, is it worth it for anyone other than a serious ATARI collector if they already have a 2600+ ? 

More importantly, should people like myself who don't already have a 2600+ but have been considering it simply wait for the 7800+ ?

Either way seems like sweet times to be a classic Atari fan! 

Obviously need one for the lake house.  If I had a lake house.  Or a second room.  Or to travel with?  Was thinking about grabbing a second 2600+ just because, but this will more than suffice I think.

• Like 4

Here’s the big question! Even though I’m getting this regardless! Will the Touch Pad for Star Raiders work? Driving Paddles?

Improvement with Super Breakout and Kaboom?

Has any of this been tested????

And the vision that was planted in my brain, Still remains, Within the sound of silence

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

I worked through my vacation! Its been all systems go over the past month....TBH its been all systems go since this time last year when the 2600+ was announced, crazy times for me and everyone else involved.

Take care, we need you. 🙂 

I can relate to you, I also have crazy job. 
Congratulations to the whole team! This is probably the most successful re-launch of Atari product line to date. 

• Like 3