IGNORED

Are any more classic 7800 games likely to get modern reprints?

T.A.P.

1 hour ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Of course we all want enhanced editions. 

When I fill in my profitandlossforecastcalculator.excel, the key is forecasted unit sales of a cart release. So in this case I'd have two tables one for original repress and one for enhanced edition, I'd have to think how many additional units I'd sell of the enhanced edition which comes with a whole heap of mind share input and undetermined additional cost Vs just sending a bin file to the factory for them to flash to an existing cart PCB design. That difference one way or the other primarily determines the decision

I do apologise to bring boring commercial detail to the conversation and as consumers of the product you just want as much as Atari can give to satisfy your wants and desires. But in my defense without the business viability there just wouldn't be the 2600+ and everything else that's been released and that's coming.

I appreciate and respect the decision that would have to be made.  Not easy. 

What if you released the enhanced version of Dark Chambers (sound effects, boss battle, accelerated walking/running, etc) but hopefully drive up sales to offset the development cost by advertising that inside the box the consumer will find a special order form or a QR code with instructions on how to purchase a Dark Chambers T-Shirt or bumper sticker or patch but only after they beat the game (honor system).  

Is there any way to utilize volunteers from the AtariAge community to help write the enhanced code?   I totally acknowledge that this is all way easier said than done, but I feel that because Dark Chambers is already a great game with a very cool sounding title, it deserves just a little bit more love and attention before you release it as an enhanced game. 

Hopefully, other members of this talented AtariAge community will share even better ideas than what I have for helping to justify the cost of an enhanced version. 

(Just so you know, I’ve already put Enhanced Dark Chambers on my “future buy list” even though it doesn’t exist yet.)

But I do understand and respect that at the end of the day, Atari needs to be profitable in order to keep going. 

2 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

When I fill in my profitandlossforecastcalculator.excel, the key is forecasted unit sales of a cart release. So in this case I'd have two tables one for original repress and one for enhanced edition, I'd have to think how many additional units I'd sell of the enhanced edition which comes with a whole heap of mind share input and undetermined additional cost Vs just sending a bin file to the factory for them to flash to an existing cart PCB design. That difference one way or the other primarily determines the decision

I do apologise to bring boring commercial detail to the conversation and as consumers of the product you just want as much as Atari can give to satisfy your wants and desires. But in my defense without the business viability there just wouldn't be the 2600+ and everything else that's been released and that's coming.

Damn that player's walking sound effect! I'm sorry I asked, I've been thinking about it seriously and among other things it looks like we don't even have the source code.

Considering the resources that would be spent to get a significant updated version, I think there's a much better option...do a sequel. And maybe call it "Dark Caves" or something.

With that in mind, feel free to do a quick and dirty release that also preserves the value of the original version. Let's forget about that horrible Pokey audio and the cockroach noise. :)

Edited by Defender_2600

7 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

On the contrary, I find those details interesting!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

I feel like it's 2600 re-releases that require the enhanced edition treatment more than 7800 games. I would be fine with a Dark Chambers standard classic cart.

I think most 'new' experiences should be officially published homebrews, like the recent announcements. In general I think seeking out publishing of 2600 and 7800 homebrews would be the most interesting release schedule going forward, with just some classics thrown in, occasionally enhanced. 

EDIT:

I recognise that not everyone has a large collection of classic carts, so maybe others out there would favour more re-releases rather than newer homebrews. 

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 2

With regards to enhanced editions in general, and licensed property that current IP owners want a high price for, why not do a premium range of carts that are £5-£10 more? Throw a sticker or badge in maybe, or maybe not. 

Atari already has premium carts for sale on its website, below their price and above the current Atari+ pricing could be acceptable.

I assume most buyers are Gen X 40 something (like me) to 60ish. This bracket would mostly have the disposable income to stand an extra £5 - £10 for a game they really want. 

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

I'm all for enhanced editions, in most cases some little love is all that is needed to make a classic game perfect ! Check the myriad of hacks to see this in effect.

In particular when porting games from the A8/5200 (since they are made from scratch) it's really a missed opportunity to be straight ports not taking advantage of the 7800 improved specs..

I was very disappointed to see the old primitive main sprite in Bounty Bob, so I did my own take for comparison..

I'm sure you have great artists in your team, but I can lend a hand if some help is needed 😮

new_Bob.gif.b1b77e039d8b2f33141f28d680c7fe7b.gif

• Like 8

30 minutes ago, TIX said:

I'm all for enhanced editions, in most cases some little love is all that is needed to make a classic game perfect ! Check the myriad of hacks to see this in effect.

In particular when porting games from the A8/5200 (since they are made from scratch) it's really a missed opportunity to be straight ports not taking advantage of the 7800 improved specs..

I was very disappointed to see the old primitive main sprite in Bounty Bob, so I did my own take for comparison..

I'm sure you have great artists in your team, but I can lend a hand if some help is needed 😮

Nice sprite and I generally agree with you. However some classic games are so iconic that the original graphics are untouchable and an improvement would make some people unhappy. For example, I would never want the graphics of 2600 Space Invaders to be changed.

However, there is a solution that would make everyone happy, in fact it is possible to include the improved sprites as a selectable option via difficulty switches. For example this was done with 7800 K.C. Munchkin which contains both the original sprites and new improved sprites. :)

3 hours ago, TIX said:

In a similar vein, I can offer my helping hand with POKEY sound.

• Like 1

Well, I do not have the Excel file of @Ben from Plaion, which allows him to move ahead with possibly narrow margin for it to be  for Atari and Plaion. The easiest thing to do is to give advices, for which you do not take responsibility. :) Saying that, maybe it would be worth to trying if getting 5$ more for an enhanced version would pay for the enhancements and still sell enough copies?

• Like 2

I'd love to see any of these old Atari-published 7800 games get reprinted, since they all seem to go for a lot of money these days (and for the selfish reason of I don't have any of them already):

Ikari Warriors
Mean 18 Ultimate Golf
Motor Psycho
Planet Smashers
Summer Games

Are any of those possible?

I figure Ikari Warriors isn't too likely, since you mentioned license issues already. I assume Mean 18 is the same way.

Motor Psycho and Planet Smashers seem like they might have a chance, since Atari has put them out already on stuff like the VCS.

Does Summer Games have much of a chance, or is it too niche of a title, even though Atari has access to the Epyx catalog these days?

As for old 3rd party releases, are those pretty much a no go? I'd love to see the old Froggo games re-appear, although I imagine that just wont happen.

Edited by T.A.P.

On 9/10/2024 at 10:32 PM, Ben from Plaion said:

Oh boy I need messages like this, thank you. You and other posters probably don't realise how much our thoughts chime in with yours. I can tell you Atari and myself talk about and try making these dreams a reality.

But we have to be grounded and things take time....boring to hear but that's the bottom line.

One thing I'd say is look at the publicly available evidence you get.... Atari bought some of Bob DeCresendzos catalogue a while back....BAM a few months later Atari make that catalogue front and centre of the new release wave...same with M-Network catalogue.

If you want to speculate and suggest look at the path of least resistance to Atari bringing out new product, the clues are there.

So guys, time for some wild speculation!

Which games has Robert DeCresendzos made that haven't been announced for release yet?

2 hours ago, Dr Karnov said:

So guys, time for some wild speculation!

Which games has Robert DeCresendzos made that haven't been announced for release yet

By PacManPlus:

Adventure III: The Race For The Chalice | Aug 29, 2016 | Dormant
Armor Attack II* | Jun 27, 2023 | Done
Asteroids/Asteroids Deluxe* | Oct 14, 2007 | Done
Asteroids (Vector Edition Hack)* | Jul 24, 2005 | Done
Astro Blaster* | Jun 27, 2023 | Done
Astro Fighter* | Aug 26, 2023 | Done
Battlezone | Feb 08, 2016 | Dormant
Bentley Bear's Crystal Quest¹ | Dec 20, 2015 | Done
BMP7800 (Utility) | May 23, 2016 | Dormant

Bounty Bob Strikes Back | Aug 20, 2024 | Done
Clean Sweep | Feb 08, 2016 | Dormant
Crazy Brix* | Apr 27, 2016 | Done
Crazy Otto (Hack)* | Jun 27, 2023 | Done
Dark Tower (Demo) | May 06, 2013 | Dormant
Defender | Mar 15, 2022 | Dormant
DLLTemplate (DL & DLL Template) | Jul 23, 2008 | Done
Dual Pac-Man (Hack)* | Sep 02, 2005 | Done
FailSafe* | Feb 27, 2010 | Done
Frenzy (w/Berzerk)* | Oct 25, 2021 | Done

Galaxian* | Aug 26, 2023 Done
Hangly-Man (Hack)* | May, 31, 2005 | Done
Jr. Pac-Man* | Jun 27, 2023 | Done
KC Munchkin | Jun 27, 2023 | KC Munchkin (Alt Movement) Apr 09, 2017 | Done
Meteor Shower* | Aug 26, 2023 | Done
Moon Cresta* | Aug 26, 2023 | Done
Ms. Pac-Attack (Hack)* | May 31, 2005 | Done
Ms. Pac-Man (Fast Hack)* | Mar 04, 2006 | Done
Ms. Pac-Man (Hack)* | May 01, 2009 | Done
Ms. Pac-Man 320*¹ | Aug 08, 2011 | Done
Ms. Pac-Man Twin* | Feb 08, 2016 | Dormant
Pac Pollux (Hack)* | Mar 05, 2006 | Done
Pac-Man - Energy Drink Edition | Jul 07, 2023 | Done

Pac-Man (Hack)* | May 30, 2005 | Done
Pac-Man 320*¹ | Aug 10, 2011 | Done
Pac-Man Collection*¹ | Jun 27, 2023 | Done

Pac-Man Collection - 40th Anniversary Edition*³ | Jun 27, 2023 | Short Mazes | Jun 27, 2023 | Done

Pac-Man Plus 320¹ | Jun 25, 2019 | Done
Pac-Man Plus (Hack)* | Jun 02, 2005 | Done
PinOut | Jan 29, 2011 | Dormant

Plutos (XM Required Version) | Jun 27, 2020 | Done
ReZolve | Feb 08, 2016 | Dormant
Rip-Off* | Jun 27, 2023 | Done
Scramble* | Jun 27, 2023 | Done

Sirius (XM Required Version) | Jun 27, 2020 | Done
Source Code List | Sep 30, 2012 | Done
Space Duel* | Oct 14, 2007 | Done
Space Invaders* | Aug 26, 2023 | Done
Super Circus AtariAge (POKEY 0450) / (POKEY 4000) | Jun 11, 2017 | Done
Super Pac-Man* | Jun 27, 2023 | Done
Ultra Pac-Man (Hack)* | Jun 19, 2005 | Done

UniWarS* | Aug 26, 2023 | Done

PacManPlus / Defender_2600 / RevEng / Trebor / tep392 / Atariboy2600

Pac-Man Collection - Ultimate Edition¹ | Dec 29, 2023 | Done
Pac-Man Collection - Remastered Edition | Dec 29, 2023 | Done

PacManPlus / Kurt_Woloch
Baby Pac-Man | Feb 08, 2019 | Done

PacManPlus / RevEng

KiloParsec | Jun 21, 2021 | Done

• Thanks 1

I've been away for a while. Busy busy busy...

Great to see everything that has happened recently!

New Games! New System! It's like reliving the 80's except with a way better paycheck in my pocket and zero inflation from Atari! ;)

I managed to build my vintage game collection up to where I have pretty much have all of the original release games I consider the most fun for the console. 

What I'm most interested in now is new games instead of straight re-releases (New to the platform, not necessarily new IP).

Everything that was announced alongside the 7800+ hits the nail on the head perfectly! When Ben said round 2 needed to be amazing and surpass the 2600+ release, I think he and his team delivered in exactly the right way! I'm already getting excited for round 3. 👍

It really is a shame that some 3rd party IP owners (especially the ones who own IP that hasn't had a retail offering in years or decades) would put excessive financial roadblocks in front of the possibility of new revenue. I get negotiating for the best offer possible, but some of these stories of upfront licensing fees are just incredible to me. Positive revenue is better than zero revenue.

But I'm not an economist...

I'll put my vote in for enhanced titles as well. Doesn't always need to be audio enhancements though. Added levels, sprite improvements, ties to modern releases. Think of a 7800+ copy of Yars Revenge for example that has some or all of the mini-games from Yars Rising as the levels on it. Skys the limit.

Can't wait to see what comes next.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Defender_2600 said:

By PacManPlus:

Adventure III: The Race For The Chalice | Aug 29, 2016 | Dormant
Armor Attack II* | Jun 27, 2023 | Done
Asteroids/Asteroids Deluxe* | Oct 14, 2007 | Done
Asteroids (Vector Edition Hack)* | Jul 24, 2005 | Done
Astro Blaster* | Jun 27, 2023 | Done
Astro Fighter* | Aug 26, 2023 | Done
Battlezone | Feb 08, 2016 | Dormant
Bentley Bear's Crystal Quest¹ | Dec 20, 2015 | Done
BMP7800 (Utility) | May 23, 2016 | Dormant

Bounty Bob Strikes Back | Aug 20, 2024 | Done
Clean Sweep | Feb 08, 2016 | Dormant
Crazy Brix* | Apr 27, 2016 | Done
Crazy Otto (Hack)* | Jun 27, 2023 | Done
Dark Tower (Demo) | May 06, 2013 | Dormant
Defender | Mar 15, 2022 | Dormant
DLLTemplate (DL & DLL Template) | Jul 23, 2008 | Done
Dual Pac-Man (Hack)* | Sep 02, 2005 | Done
FailSafe* | Feb 27, 2010 | Done
Frenzy (w/Berzerk)* | Oct 25, 2021 | Done

Galaxian* | Aug 26, 2023 Done
Hangly-Man (Hack)* | May, 31, 2005 | Done
Jr. Pac-Man* | Jun 27, 2023 | Done
KC Munchkin | Jun 27, 2023 | KC Munchkin (Alt Movement) Apr 09, 2017 | Done
Meteor Shower* | Aug 26, 2023 | Done
Moon Cresta* | Aug 26, 2023 | Done
Ms. Pac-Attack (Hack)* | May 31, 2005 | Done
Ms. Pac-Man (Fast Hack)* | Mar 04, 2006 | Done
Ms. Pac-Man (Hack)* | May 01, 2009 | Done
Ms. Pac-Man 320*¹ | Aug 08, 2011 | Done
Ms. Pac-Man Twin* | Feb 08, 2016 | Dormant
Pac Pollux (Hack)* | Mar 05, 2006 | Done
Pac-Man - Energy Drink Edition | Jul 07, 2023 | Done

Pac-Man (Hack)* | May 30, 2005 | Done
Pac-Man 320*¹ | Aug 10, 2011 | Done
Pac-Man Collection*¹ | Jun 27, 2023 | Done

Pac-Man Collection - 40th Anniversary Edition*³ | Jun 27, 2023 | Short Mazes | Jun 27, 2023 | Done

Pac-Man Plus 320¹ | Jun 25, 2019 | Done
Pac-Man Plus (Hack)* | Jun 02, 2005 | Done
PinOut | Jan 29, 2011 | Dormant

Plutos (XM Required Version) | Jun 27, 2020 | Done
ReZolve | Feb 08, 2016 | Dormant
Rip-Off* | Jun 27, 2023 | Done
Scramble* | Jun 27, 2023 | Done

Sirius (XM Required Version) | Jun 27, 2020 | Done
Source Code List | Sep 30, 2012 | Done
Space Duel* | Oct 14, 2007 | Done
Space Invaders* | Aug 26, 2023 | Done
Super Circus AtariAge (POKEY 0450) / (POKEY 4000) | Jun 11, 2017 | Done
Super Pac-Man* | Jun 27, 2023 | Done
Ultra Pac-Man (Hack)* | Jun 19, 2005 | Done

UniWarS* | Aug 26, 2023 | Done

PacManPlus / Defender_2600 / RevEng / Trebor / tep392 / Atariboy2600

Pac-Man Collection - Ultimate Edition¹ | Dec 29, 2023 | Done
Pac-Man Collection - Remastered Edition | Dec 29, 2023 | Done

PacManPlus / Kurt_Woloch
Baby Pac-Man | Feb 08, 2019 | Done

PacManPlus / RevEng

KiloParsec | Jun 21, 2021 | Done

Quite a selection of games there. Obviously some could not be released without a license. I wonder if it would be viable to  take the likes of a Pac-Man game and swap Bentley Bear in? Or maybe take a Space Invaders game and theme it with Asteroids or Gravitar etc?

Basically any classic game which should be licensed, thrown Atari IP in there. 

Probably a lot of hours programming but cheaper than a licence?

From an Atari perspective you then also have a new game in an established Atari IP and sequels could be made on modern consoles and PC.

3 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

Quite a selection of games there. Obviously some could not be released without a license. I wonder if it would be viable to  take the likes of a Pac-Man game and swap Bentley Bear in? Or maybe take a Space Invaders game and theme it with Asteroids or Gravitar etc?

Basically any classic game which should be licensed, thrown Atari IP in there. 

Probably a lot of hours programming but cheaper than a licence?

They could, but it wouldn't be the same. I hope the A+ consoles quickly sell over 500k units and start getting every license they want. Small toy companies do it, Atari should be able to do it too.

https://myarcade.com/collections/ms-pac-man

https://evercade.co.uk/cartridges/namco-collection-1-cartridge/

https://blast.atgames.net/blast_family