IGNORED

2004 Mini Game Contest has started!

Cybergoth

Next year, we need more ATARI 800 games in the competition.

The ATARI 800 is a great machine and everything doable on the C64 and the Spectrum can be done on the 800.

I may create a 4K version of my 1K Boulder Dash clone.1K was not enough to get some main features (enemies, slime, huge levels) in, but in 4K 10-15 huge levels + all features and MUCH better graphics are possible, since the level data is easy to compress.

But others should try, too, so we have at least 5 games for the 800 XL/XE next year.

Thimo

Here's a comment I made on 13th December last year about Cave 1K in the original Cave thread that was started back then to help it's development:

"I've just played Cave for a few days, and it's the best 1K game I've seen. The reason why it works so well is the feel of gliding quickly over the barriers and then dropping sharply to get under the next one - a superb piece of programming. Nice graphics too. It surely is the bookies favourite for the 1K title next year."

How's that for a prediction eh?

Well done Thomas, it was clearly the best program of the lot. ;)

Well, I wasn't that sure. And Splatform isn't that bad, is it?

Nah, it's neat...but it's very difficult. By the time you see you're going to miss a platform the die has been cast...I'm sure someone can get better with but the initial learning curve is steep. Actually, the learning curve is interesting: it's tough for a newbie to get a strategy that works better than just hold right until you finally die...it's kind of an evolutionary deadend, so to speak. (Same thing happened to me in this old game called Omega, where you'd program a tank to fight another tank...my strategy of sit-n-scan and let the enemy come to me worked so well that when I finally got to tanks that strategy couldn't beat I had no skills to really make a good tank)

And Crash-N-Dive...I think it lacks a strong sense of achievement, it seems like you play strictly for points, not to survive for longer or anything.

Just some thoughts. ANd of course, I dig Cave1K's control scheme ;-)

I registered to vote, but I never received the confirmation email. :sad: It's probably just as well; All of the VCS entries are excellent, and it would have been hard to choose one over another. Also, I only managed to get a fraction of the other games to run on MESS and so I couldn't have voted fairly.

Congratulations, Thomas! Cave1k is superb! 8) :thumbsup:

I think that each of the VCS entries should receive honorable mention.

And who will win next year? :-)

No clue. But I'll try again! :-)

JUMPMAN!!!

Nah, it's neat...but it's very difficult. By the time you see you're going to miss a platform the die has been cast...

Really? IMO, if you you move carefully, then there is plenty of time.

But then I have played the game very often during development. :)

And Crash-N-Dive...I think it lacks a strong sense of achievement, it seems like you play strictly for points, not to survive for longer or anything.

Agreed. I am also not too happy with this game, but I couldn't find a better solution that still fits into 1K and utilizes the basic kernel. Actually this game is the one of the three that had to be optimized most.

Hi there!

I'll be back.

Me too

Wow, cool! Any concrete plans already?

I've been looking at a few more arcade ports lately, and while I'm certain that some would make excellent 2600 ports (like "Cosmic Guerilla" for example) I'm not 100% positive about a project yet.

Greetings,

Manuel

Wow, cool! Any concrete plans already?

I'm hoping to enter MMd again.

I'v already addressed all the constructive criticizm from the contest (exept sound)

And I also want to do some more 1k board games. Kinda like Thomas' 1k trillogy this year

I'm thinking about Connect 4. I Already have a display working (looks terrible) so I can work on game-logic and worry about displaying 7 objects (each with 3 possible colours) later.

attatched is my latest Master Mind deluxe

Scoring is still the same :(

P1 difficulty switches between guess duplication or a clean line

Colours are all the same lum value so they are easily identifieable (lum value is higher than the background colour so nothing is too dull)

Input uses state change debouncing instead of frame based countdowns

and this is all one days work 8)

master.bin.gz

Hi there!

I'm thinking about Connect 4. I Already have a display working  (looks terrible) so I can work on game-logic and worry about displaying 7 objects (each with 3 possible colours) later.

Sounds like an interesting project. You can base it on my 7x7 chessboard code if you like - it could display a unique color for each tile, so it would easily do the trick for for Connect 4.

http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archiv...4/msg00229.html

Greetings,

Manuel

Sounds like an interesting project. You can base it on my 7x7 chessboard code if you like - it could display a unique color for each tile, so it would easily do the trick for for Connect 4.  http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archives/200404/msg00229.html

Thanks.

Thats so simple I probably never would have thought of it :D