IGNORED

Atari Flashback 2.0 now listed @ Gamestop...

There's no external cartridge port on the second Flashback unit. But take it apart once you get it home.

I'd really like to see Lunar Lander, Tempest or a *better* 7800ish version of Crystal Castles. Not to mention some of my favorite AA homebrew titles! Can't wait to see what Curt has in store for us.

There is another possibility. It could be as was stated and that the cart port is hidden inside the unit and not really seen externally. Or, it could mean that there is a way to add games to it, but not through the use of an actual 2600 style cart connector. More like perhaps a flash ram thingie...

That is what popped into my head. Afterall, if Jakks is gonna start doing that to make some of their offerings upgradable as it were, it only makes sense that Atari would try to follow suit or one up even better.

I am very curious to see what this one is all about as well.

How about if the Flashback Unit had a cartridge port but instead of using big clunky 2600 carts, it used some smaller carts? Remember those music clip things that the young'uns had last year or so ago? They were tiny little carts that had tunez on them. I'm thinking this new Flashback could be the system to go into everyones house and then people can collect all the mini carts for the system?

I could see myself doing the Pokemon dance (ie - Gotta Catch 'Em All! - running through the malls looking for the latest games!). What a dream that would be! Come on Curt.... are we getting close here? I'd love to be right with this one! :)

How about if the Flashback Unit had a cartridge port but instead of using big clunky 2600 carts, it used some smaller carts?  Remember those music clip things that the young'uns had last year or so ago?  They were tiny little carts that had tunez on them.  I'm thinking this new Flashback could be the system to go into everyones house and then people can collect all the mini carts for the system?

I could see myself doing the Pokemon dance (ie - Gotta Catch 'Em All! - running through the malls looking for the latest games!).  What a dream that would be!  Come on Curt.... are we getting close here?  I'd love to be right with this one!  :)

Good marketing standpoint for Atari -- but my God, the last thing I need right now is another system to collect for -- especially when it's a system I already have in its original form. :-)

I know we don't need another system to collect games for... but in a way it would be fun! Perhaps each cart will have 3 games on it to make each purchase reasonable ($2.99 US.. $3.99 CDN) I dunno.

It sounds like a good marketing strategy and it's something Atari needs to really get some GOOD exposure. After the first unit, they'll need something better. This could be it!

It would be great to ask the wife for some Atari games for the Stocking next Christmas abd actually expect her to find some! (She's not much for thrifting and sources have dried up here for the most part).

I can imagine little game cases with little instruction booklets! (Remember those jokebooks that were the size of a stamp in the 70's and 80's?... Hopefully they're not that small though!)

Ahh... I'm a dreamer... more than likely this Flashback will be similar to the first but improved. I'd just like to live this "Flashback 2.0 Fantasy" a little while longer! :love: LOL!

Ferris..

I think it'll likely be something for everyone to rip apart and plug in carts but I like my marketing theory here. I know it's got about a 5% chance of happening but it is possible.

It's fun speculating but from Albert's comment about him planning on having several units. That does suggest having one to enjoy and one to open up.

Perhaps this is what the NEXT-GEN console will be this year! Who wants an X-Box 2? Not when I can get an Atari Flashback 2.0 with cartridges! LOL!

Curt... does your Yes and No answer mean either:

A) Yes someone knows and no you can't say... or..

B) Yes it has cart support but you can't say??

:ponder:

No, it means that if you are handy with a soldering iron, you can solder in the cart-slot yourself. ;)

Seems the most likely, and similar to how the C64 DTV stick handled things.

If it has 2600 hardware, and has composite video, and can have a cart port added (or use media cards or some such) I'll be happy

If it has 7800 hardware, and has composite video, and can have a cart port added, and I can use my on-order Cuttle Cart with it, I'll be freakin' ecstatic!

So if modern homebrews are included, doe sthis mean there is some kind of cooperation between the classic gaming community and Infogrames?

Wow that would be sweet. I wonder if those people will/are recieving any sort of compensation? Surely if this unit REALLY out sells the last one, sells way above expectations, Atari would realize the potential revenue that could be generated buying homebrews, or even hiring folks to produce homebrews. Man thats would be cool for the homebrewers.....That is if they haven't boycotted Atari.

Curt... does your Yes and No answer mean either:

A) Yes someone knows and no you can't say... or..

B) Yes it has cart support but you can't say??

:ponder:

No, it means that if you are handy with a soldering iron, you can solder in the cart-slot yourself. ;)

That's kind of disappointing. While I don't think I would have any trouble adding a cartridge slot as I'm relatively handy with a soldering iron, it seems to me that it would have been a better idea to have one already included on the unit. Without one, it is going to be just like the Jakk's units, only with a stellar selection of games. (I mean, who wouldn't want homebrews and prototypes?)

Besides - if it had a cart slot, perhaps all those extra combat cartridges could get sold on ebay! :P The demand for the commons would probably have skyrocketed.

No, it means that if you are handy with a soldering iron, you can solder in the cart-slot yourself.  ;)

That's kind of disappointing. While I don't think I would have any trouble adding a cartridge slot as I'm relatively handy with a soldering iron, it seems to me that it would have been a better idea to have one already included on the unit. Without one, it is going to be just like the Jakk's units, only with a stellar selection of games.

Wrong, being able to add a cart slot is fantastic news, and puts this new unit far and away above the old flashback and the jakk's crap.

Can't wait to get my grubby little mitts on one.

-S

Surely if this unit REALLY out sells the last one, sells way above expectations,  Atari would realize the potential revenue that could be generated buying homebrews, or even hiring folks to produce homebrews. Man thats would be cool for the homebrewers.....That is if they haven't boycotted Atari.

:lol: (I missed the bus!)

Keep in mind that many of the homebrews probably would not qualify for this type of commercial release due to some of the copyrights and trademarks being infringed.. ie. most (all?) of Manuel's games.

In the future, I would see many new homebrews having the same issues...because the community is always hungry for more VCS versions of arcade and other console games.

I wonder if Thomas' mini-games will be included? :ponder:

It IS fantastic news, and makes me very excited. It would have been even better, though, if there were already a cartridge slot...

I think it would have increased sales, since I know there are people out there with games and no working console,

and increased interest in the market for carts (which could be both good and bad, of course).

No, it means that if you are handy with a soldering iron, you can solder in the cart-slot yourself.  ;)

That's kind of disappointing. While I don't think I would have any trouble adding a cartridge slot as I'm relatively handy with a soldering iron, it seems to me that it would have been a better idea to have one already included on the unit. Without one, it is going to be just like the Jakk's units, only with a stellar selection of games.

Wrong, being able to add a cart slot is fantastic news, and puts this new unit far and away above the old flashback and the jakk's crap.

Can't wait to get my grubby little mitts on one.

-S

I don't think you fully understand what I was saying. I'm not saying that it sucks that you CAN put a cartridge slot on it, I'm just saying that it sucks that it doesn't come with one already on the unit.

The average person isn't going to add a cart slot or even crack the unit open. If it doesn't have a cart slot, to most people, it will be just another Jakk's unit. That's what I meant by my previous post.

But for the hobbyist, yes, this will be a fantastic little unit from what I have read already.