IGNORED

Atari Flashback 2.0 now listed @ Gamestop...

And I think if you look at the sales numbers vs. price point for the iPod (and consquentally the price point for ALL Apple products) you will notice that there is no way in hell that most 16-25 year olds can afford an iPod. the Target is the working young professional, early 20's to late 30's. But more 40 year olds can afford an iPod than 16 year olds.

Just because someone can afford something doesn't make it desirable to them...

I also thought the comment about "A bunch of dumb 40 somethings" was rather idiotic, considering that is the majority demographics HERE at Atariage.

Now, did you read that, or did you assume that? I never said "dumb", nor did I imply that they were "dumb"... that is your creation...

My personal feeling is that they will continue to let AtariAge to download the roms. Remember why the ps2 is the most selling system: its the easiest to pirate. The public wants easy, and if they affialiate atariage to host the roms, suddenly they have access to a lot of Atari 2600 games that they could not play/used to play when they was a kid. Don't forget, Atari wants to sell systems, the games have already been produced. Besides, by doing that, it makes it easier on the average Joe. I also think it will be able to have a cartridge slot, but only hackable. Which is fine as I modify Atari's to give them A/V (most of the time for free), so I'll be able to use my Krocodile cart on the FB2.

Also the ability to use old controllers will make things interesting in the line of mods, portables, and well just general use. If this thing does as it says, I think I am going to buy two, one for use and one to solder Synthcart to the FB2 and make a Synthcart box out of it with built in keyboard controllers  ;)

If this is true, it would be an interesting reversal of traditional Atari ideology (and Microsoft for that matter).

You know, give the HW away and make money on the software. In this scenario, they'd be attempting to do the opposite.

It will be interesting to see what this beast really turns out to be.

If you think about it, it makes sense. Anyone can download these on emulators as most of the games have company release of the roms. FB2 is getting their sales for the fact of unreleased games, homebrews, and popular games. The fact that they can just download already company released games will add more to sales.

Just because someone can afford something doesn't make it desirable to them...  

Now, did you read that, or did you assume that?  I never said "dumb", nor did I imply that they were "dumb"... that is your creation...

1. Companies don't market to people they don't think can afford their product. You don't see ads for Abercrombie & Fitch or Banana Republic on Billboards in the Bronx or South Central LA or Trailer Parks in the Midwest.

2. You're right the word "dumb" wasn't there. But the fact that you cited a specific age demographic of people as not capable to handle a USB port on a device just SOUNDED dumb. Sorry if I misinterpreted your insult.

If you think about it, it makes sense. Anyone can download these on emulators as most of the games have company release of the roms. FB2 is getting their sales for the fact of unreleased games, homebrews, and popular games. The fact that they can just download already company released games will add more to sales.

This is kinda what made me think of the iPod. I mean seriously - how many iPod users are ONLY using iTunes and paying for the mp3's they dump onto their players?

And with the classic gaming industry, it's not anywhere near as bad as the mp3 controversy, becasue these games have already sold millions. It's not like it's going to cut into anyone's profit margin.

Hi there!

Flashback 1.0 used 7800 games ported to "NES on a stick".  

It would stand to reason that Flashback 2.0 might also have 7800 capability, afterall, 100% 2600 Binaries WILL RUN on a 7800.

What do you mean "also"? Running on a NES core, the first flashback can't handle 7800 binaries either.

Besides with Curt saying "the system can run 100% 2600 compatible binaries", he absolutely excludes 7800 binaries with that as they definitely aren't 2600 compatible.

Greetings,

Manuel

1. Companies don't market to people they don't think can afford their product. You don't see ads for Abercrombie & Fitch or Banana Republic on Billboards in the Bronx or South Central LA or Trailer Parks in the Midwest.

Because they don't fit the "demographics"...???

Companies do market things to young people that they can't afford - because their parents can afford it.

2. You're right the word "dumb" wasn't there. But the fact that you cited a specific age demographic of people as not capable to handle a USB port on a  device just SOUNDED dumb. Sorry if I misinterpreted your insult.

I was naming a specific age group because they are the ones who will wax nostalgic and purchase the product which also happens to be the subject of this thread.

There was no insult intended. There is an implication that overall the 40's and older folks are less tech savvy.. and that is only natural, most of these people were finished school by the time computers hit the classroom, and may have never had a home computer until the mid 90's and the explosion of the internet - again, that is not an insult.

I apologize to the OP. This is ridiculous.

I was responding to the earlier statement from Curt that Atari was concerned with being barraged by customer service calls. Sorry to get so OT.

Hi there!

It would stand to reason that Flashback 2.0 might also have 7800 capability, afterall, 100% 2600 Binaries WILL RUN on a 7800.

What do you mean "also"? Running on a NES core, the first flashback can't handle 7800 binaries either.

Besides with Curt saying "the system can run 100% 2600 compatible binaries", he absolutely excludes 7800 binaries with that as they definitely aren't 2600 compatible.

Greetings,

Manuel

The first flashback runs 5 7800 games. Are you not aware of this?

Hi there!

Greetings,

Manuel

No it doesn't.. that isn't 7800 code. They are ports to the "NES on a chip" hardware.

Hi there!

Greetings,

Manuel

VERY poorly to add to that. THE only reason why they worked is because they were REPROGRAMMED to the NES on a chip. the NES cannot handle it, as you can see by the poor performance of the games.

I'm with you there, and if the InfoTari people want to do this, then good for them!

It would be a huge boost to AA-types if they were to do as you suggest.

Of course, the other posters who say that they are not aiming at the classic gaming community are spot on, but if they did things in this way, they would win lots of friends.

Can't wait to find out.

Hi there!

It would stand to reason that Flashback 2.0 might also have 7800 capability' date=' afterall, 100% 2600 Binaries WILL RUN on a 7800.[/quote']

No it doesn't.. that isn't 7800 code. They are ports to the "NES on a chip" hardware.

If you're going to get snippy - you might want to read what you quote. I said GAMES not CODE.

I merely asked if theFlashback 2 was going to be 7800 compatible as well. The First flashback was MARKETED as playing 5 "7800 game titles".

I merely wanted to know if they were going to continue with this trend, or if they were going to limit it to 2600 games only.

Curt still hasn't said whether it would or it wouldn't. All he said was that it would be compatible with 2600 binaries. a Real 7800 IS COMPATIBLE with 2600 binaries.

He never said yes or no.

And I didn't ask you, I asked Curt, since he's the onyl one who would ACTUALLY know.

VERY poorly to add to that. THE only reason why they worked is because they were REPROGRAMMED to the NES on a chip. the NES cannot handle it, as you can see by the poor performance of the games.

Precisely why I DIDN'T buy one. MESS and Prosystem and EMU7800 do a far better job than teh Flashback did.

Now I'm asking this simply becasue I like BOTH the 7800 and the 2600, but if it's going to be 2600 only, I'm not going to waste my money. I can get a 2600 on ebay or from any number of online dealers for $20-$30 and it's the real deal.

But 7800's tend to go for a little more ($50-$75) and I'm trying to get an honest opinion.

Precisely why I DIDN'T buy one. MESS and Prosystem and EMU7800 do a far better job than teh Flashback did.

Now I'm asking this simply becasue I like BOTH the 7800 and the 2600, but if it's going to be 2600 only, I'm not going to waste my money. I can get a 2600 on ebay or from any number of online dealers for $20-$30 and it's the real deal.

But 7800's tend to go for a little more ($50-$75) and I'm trying to get an honest opinion.

With the info we got so far, no. But, who knows before release.

Why not buy one if it can utulize roms? Its real atari 2600 guts, unreleased games, can use original controllers, and it'll probably be $40. Throw shipping into the ebay auction and you can get a FB2 with games built in (not to mention homebrews).

You know, I just thought about something. Climber 5 and a few others can't be on the FB2 because of copywrite issues. Who has these games already? Activision! What do you know, 25 years later, and Atari and Activision are still going at it about Atari 2600.

You know, I just thought about something. Climber 5 and a few others can't be on the FB2 because of copywrite issues. Who has these games already? Activision! What do you know, 25 years later, and Atari and Activision are still going at it about Atari 2600.

Activision does not own the copyright to Climber 5--that is owned by the game's author, Dennis Debro. And Climber 5's appearance on the Activision Anthology does not preclude its use in other products, such as the Flashback 2.

..Al

Hi there!

Didn't you say it's powered by a NES chip? As fas as I know, a NES can't run 7800 games. How would they do that?

Greetings,

Manuel

They're very poor and slow and are different from the true 7800 games. They're not really emulated, but are made to run like a typical NES game would run in this technology (at least that's what I saw as a gamer with no major hardware expertise when it comes to the NES but have played many NES games) They were probably thrown on there in a last minute attempt to legitimize the similarity between the 7800 and the Flashback in cosmetic appearance for those who may have owned a 7800.

Hi there!

Didn't you say it's powered by a NES chip? As fas as I know, a NES can't run 7800 games. How would they do that?

The games on the Flashback are NOT the original games. They were ported/reprogrammed to work on the NES on a chip thingie.

Hi there!

Hi there!

The games on the Flashback are NOT the original games. They were ported/reprogrammed to work on the NES on a chip thingie.

Ah that's fine, because that's exactly what I was thinking until Danno started confusing me :)

Greetings,

Manuel