IGNORED

Atari Flashback 2.0 now listed @ Gamestop...

This seems unlikely to me since they are still letting AtariAge give away the ROMs for free...:ponder:

...for now, at least... this could change before the launch of the Flashback, remember, they made AtariAge pull a bunch of games from the store, too when they sold the first Flashback

No better time than the present to download the entire 2600 catalog, then! :lol:

But I guarantee you they will NOT be compatible with straight up Roms.
Sign me up for the secret list of people who want the tool for coverting ROMs to/from their proprietary encoding scheme. I'd like to put all these new titles on my CC2!

Am I the only one who read this:

It is running 100% 2600 compatible binaries...

While that doesn't rule out the possibility that the ROMs are compatible with original hardware but the new hardware isn't compatible with old ROMs, I think it implies it heavily. I think it's a bit early to be jumping to conclusions about proprietary formats.

Am I the only one who read this:

It is running 100% 2600 compatible binaries...

While that doesn't rule out the possibility that the ROMs are compatible with original hardware but the new hardware isn't compatible with old ROMs, I think it implies it heavily. I think it's a bit early to be jumping to conclusions about proprietary formats.

No, you're not the only one who read that- that's why my guess is still that you'll be able to download the ROMs for a fee and play them on your Flashback 2.0. It makes good business sense for Atari, since they will not have the added expense of packaging, shipping, and marketing for the old games, but yet they can still make money reselling all the old games, and they'll probably let Atari Age sell the homebrews for download to the new Flashback 2.0 format. In short, Atari can make money on the new Flashback hardware, and make money from game downloads.

Which is exactly why I'm saying that they aren't just going to let you load up 4096 byte files that you found at any of 999 romzzz sites online into the thing. If they are going to make money selling these old games online for instant download and use the format won't be straight up ROM Binaries.

Curt - if you're paying attention - I have one question.  

Is this going to be a 2600 or 7800 based system?  

The reason I ask is that I'm toying with the idea of buying a 7800 again, but wondering if I should just save my money and buy a Flashback 2 when they hit the store.

System will run 100% 2600 compatible binaries.

Curt

Do you like the idea of the new flashback?

That depends. If this is a skin and bones 2600 and NOT another cheap emulator, maybe. As with the first one (which I will now vocally say was a piece of poorly emulated, cheaply manufactured garbage after having a chance to test one out for a few weeks), I'll reserve judgement until after I see what this new Flashback system has to offer and what kind of an impact it has on the people who have kept interest in older systems alive.

I guess what I meant is that Atari wouldn't be interested in producing any classic hardware which, in my opinion, would be a bad thing.  This way we have a large corporation (somewhat) supporting our hobby.
My hobby is collecting and playing classic games. Seeing the release of a classic compilation or system to which I own most/all the originals does not excite me. With the exception of Namco Museum for the PS2 and the Activision Anthology, every one of these has been a big let down to me when it was released. If they dropped support and/or lost interest, which WILL happen once the current fad has run its course, it won't affect me. As I've pretty much expressed since the first hint of a Flashback 1, I'm NOT the target market all these plug and plays have been trying to cater to. Up to now, these have catered to people waxing nostalgic looking for a quick laugh and a quicker fix.[/i]

This is why the system will have several "real skin and bones" 2600 games onboard which are brand new, never been seen before on the 2600 platform, so the system will have something that attracts and interests everyone, to coin an old Atari commercial phrase:

"Only from Atari, only on systems made by Atari..." Which I'm sure hackers will have fun hardware modd'ing this system, but the games stored within it will not be easily accessible, nor piratable, so that means if you want to play brand new Atari 2600 titles, you'll only be playing them on the Flashback line of consoles. (excluding FB1 since its not real Atari hardware)

Curt

I can't see them having roms or packets available for download.. if you think the 1-800 numbers would be busy from the public trying to unsuccessfully plug carts into the thing, wait till you get all those "40 somethings" trying to download a game to it via USB...  :roll:

I know. I mean seriously, all these iPods that people aren't able to use.... :roll:

atariPod. LOL.

The reason I ask is that I'm toying with the idea of buying a 7800 again, but wondering if I should just save my money and buy a Flashback 2 when they hit the store.

Curt

So no 7800 capability?

I can't see them having roms or packets available for download.. if you think the 1-800 numbers would be busy from the public trying to unsuccessfully plug carts into the thing, wait till you get all those "40 somethings" trying to download a game to it via USB...  :roll:

I know. I mean seriously, all these iPods that people aren't able to use.... :roll:

atariPod. LOL.

I think the iPod demographic would handle it fine... :? What was your point?

I think the iPod demographic would handle it fine...  :?   What was your point?

There are many people who bought an iPod and can't work it. I saw 2 news stories on this just after Xmas. There are even people offering to fill your iPod from your CD collection and teach you to use it. I have people at work asking me all the time how to work their iPod.

With any electronic gadget, there are people who just won't get it. Somewhere there is someone who can't operate their toaster properly.

The iPod Demographic is every man, woman and child on the planet who likes music.

iPods and similar mp3 playing units are the fastest selling, most popular electronic gadgets on the planet today.

and much of the target audience for Retro Gaming is 40 Something, is is the demographic for iPods.

The iPod Demographic is every man, woman and child on the planet who likes music.

iPods and similar mp3 playing units are the fastest selling, most popular electronic gadgets on the planet today.

and much of the target audience for Retro Gaming is 40 Something, is is the demographic for iPods.

I think if you do a little looking I think you'll find the demographic for iPods is with the 16-25 year olds... not everyone who likes music.

There are many people who bought an iPod and can't work it. I saw 2 news stories on this just after Xmas. There are even people offering to fill your iPod from your CD collection and teach you to use it. I have people at work asking me all the time how to work their iPod.

With any electronic gadget, there are people who just won't get it. Somewhere there is someone who can't operate their toaster properly.

I'm actually VERY disappointed with the UI on the iPODs host-side application, it sucks to put it plainly, I expected a far better layout and design given its Apple, you expect such things from PC firms, but from Apple you expect a much more intuitive interface for handling the h/w and music, also the whole registration and sign-up process leaves a lot to be desired, my wife and I both have iPods, I use mine with an RF transmitter to my car stereo primarily, they are great devices, but the host-side of them is crap.

Curt

And I think if you look at the sales numbers vs. price point for the iPod (and consquentally the price point for ALL Apple products) you will notice that there is no way in hell that most 16-25 year olds can afford an iPod. the Target is the working young professional, early 20's to late 30's. But more 40 year olds can afford an iPod than 16 year olds.

At any rate my point was that if the Flashback 2.0 has some sort of USB connectivity to it, it won't be any more difficult to use than an iPod. Sure there will be a minority of Dolts who rampage through the packaging wiht out RTFM and end up getting frustrated by their own impatience, but the majority of people who purchase this product will take to it rather easily.

I also thought the comment about "A bunch of dumb 40 somethings" was rather idiotic, considering that is the majority demographics HERE at Atariage.

My personal feeling is that they will continue to let AtariAge to download the roms. Remember why the ps2 is the most selling system: its the easiest to pirate. The public wants easy, and if they affialiate atariage to host the roms, suddenly they have access to a lot of Atari 2600 games that they could not play/used to play when they was a kid. Don't forget, Atari wants to sell systems, the games have already been produced. Besides, by doing that, it makes it easier on the average Joe. I also think it will be able to have a cartridge slot, but only hackable. Which is fine as I modify Atari's to give them A/V (most of the time for free), so I'll be able to use my Krocodile cart on the FB2.

Also the ability to use old controllers will make things interesting in the line of mods, portables, and well just general use. If this thing does as it says, I think I am going to buy two, one for use and one to solder Synthcart to the FB2 and make a Synthcart box out of it with built in keyboard controllers ;)

Hi there!

So no 7800 capability?

Did you ever succeed running a 7800 binary on a 2600?

Greetings,

Manuel

My personal feeling is that they will continue to let AtariAge to download the roms. Remember why the ps2 is the most selling system: its the easiest to pirate. The public wants easy, and if they affialiate atariage to host the roms, suddenly they have access to a lot of Atari 2600 games that they could not play/used to play when they was a kid. Don't forget, Atari wants to sell systems, the games have already been produced. Besides, by doing that, it makes it easier on the average Joe. I also think it will be able to have a cartridge slot, but only hackable. Which is fine as I modify Atari's to give them A/V (most of the time for free), so I'll be able to use my Krocodile cart on the FB2.

Also the ability to use old controllers will make things interesting in the line of mods, portables, and well just general use. If this thing does as it says, I think I am going to buy two, one for use and one to solder Synthcart to the FB2 and make a Synthcart box out of it with built in keyboard controllers  ;)

If this is true, it would be an interesting reversal of traditional Atari ideology (and Microsoft for that matter).

You know, give the HW away and make money on the software. In this scenario, they'd be attempting to do the opposite.

It will be interesting to see what this beast really turns out to be.

Hi there!

So no 7800 capability?

Did you ever succeed running a 7800 binary on a 2600?

Greetings,

Manuel

Flashback 1.0 used 7800 games ported to "NES on a stick".

It would stand to reason that Flashback 2.0 might also have 7800 capability, afterall, 100% 2600 Binaries WILL RUN on a 7800.