IGNORED

Previous 7800 HSC Rounds

shadow460

Yeah, all games will be on standard difficulty unless otherwise noted.

Fair warning, though. Some games have a setting in the arcade that was usually used, but not necessarily the 7800's standard setting. If we're playing an arcade port, it'll start on whatever level most arcade machines did.

Tales of untold treasures lure many explorers into the caves. So far, none has returned. Now another one has decided to brave the quest. You are faced with endless labyrinths of danger. Wratihs, wizards, skeletons, and zombies stalk you from every corner. Your gun and your life energy are all that stand in between you and the Grim Reaper. Do you have what it takes to escape from the Dark Chambers?

Game Information:

This week's game: John Palevich's Dark Chambers.

Controllers supported: ProLine Joystick, Atari joypad

Difficulty Switches: n/a

Game Mode: One player standard

Scores may be posted in this thread until January 24th at approximately 10 PM Central Time.

Due to a tie in the voting, we will run Donkey Kong Junior from Jan 24 to Jan 31. This week we will feature a different poll along with Dark Chambers.

Become a member of the 7800 High Score Competition simply by posting a score in this thread.

Current High Scores

1. bfutrel 320,530

2. Cybergoth 197,500

3. Artlover 49,110

Shadow's first score of the week:

To be Scored

Member List (post a score to join!)

silver_surfer, keilbaca, Mind Game, birdie3, Cybergoth, jedijeff, video game addict, FireTiger, Mordax, RJ, keitaro, Almost Rice, Pac Man Plus, jwierer, Artlover, hanglyman, bfutrel, Zylon Bane (?)

Death defying tactics:

Try not to let enemies approach you at an angle. It's easier to shoot them if they are directly horizontal or vertical to you.

When entering a room with lots of enemies, try to get a shot or two into the spawner each time you fight and enemy off. Early on, you will be able to destroy the spawner before enemies get too close, but later you must hit the spawner once or twice, then continue to fight off enemies.

Pick up the gun, the shield, and the knife the first time you see them. The gun and knife increase your firepower, while the shield increases your defense.

Don't forget that you can shoot bombs to detonate them instantly. Do this if you already have plenty, or if you are using the CX-40 joystick.

Don't shoot the food! You need it to refill your life! Also, if there is food in a level and your life is nearly full, go clear any remaining enemies before eating the food. This way, if you get hit, more of your life energy will be restored by eating the food.

Finally, know when to tuck tail and run. When there's an invincible spawner, you must simply avoid some of the enemies it produces instead of trying to kill them all.

Edited by shadow460

Hi there!

Phew... almost beat it on my first game ever :ponder:

Made it down to level "S" I think, final score:

Not sure if I play it again, as it wasn't really an experience I'd consider "fun" :twisted:

Just curious though: During the game, I collected lotsa stuff, a sword, a shield, a pistol some handgrenades... is that just eye-candy or can you activate that somehow? I didn't find a key in MESS to make any of it work, except managing to ruin the frameskip for a while, so I quit trying keys again... :ponder:

Greetings,

Manuel

dc.gif

Hi there!

BTW, how come your screen shot says beginner?  :P

Something is wrong with my computer, it gets "phantom" joystick readings very often (no kidding, it doesn't even matter which of the three Joysticks/pads I use at the moment). If I don't do anything, it slowly cycles through the options. It was actually a major pain when playing Commando and it'd accidentally select the 2-Player mode, because I could then either wait until both players were dead, or RESET and watch the intro again...

And I guess what happened now is that before I managed to take a screenshot, it already cycled to a different mode.

Yup... I know how lame that sounds... :ponder:

Nevertheless, unfortunately it's the truth :sad:

Greetings,

Manuel

We trust ya.

Most of the items simply earn you some points. The first shield increases your defense. The first dagger increases your firepower, and the first gun increases your rate of fire. Once you've gotten these items the first time, just shoot them for points when you see 'em again.

The bombs are carried in your inventory, and activated by pressing the right joystick button. They destroy every enemy on the screen. Bombs can also be activated by shooting them.

Hearts are used solely in the two player mode--do not shoot them in single player.

Edited by shadow460

Just curious though: During the game, I collected lotsa stuff, a sword, a shield, a pistol some handgrenades... is that just eye-candy or can you activate that somehow? I didn't find a key in MESS to make any of it work, except managing to ruin the frameskip for a while, so I quit trying keys again... :ponder:

1002620[/snapback]

The bombs are carried in your inventory, and activated by pressing the right joystick button.  They destroy every enemy on the screen.  Bombs can also be activated by shooting them.

1002929[/snapback]

Neither MESS 0.102 nor EMU7800 0.60 seem to correctly support dual buttons. This is really odd for MESS considering it specificly has seperate mappings for each key.

Been trying xevious to test.

Under MESS, both buttons each fire a shot and drop a bomb.

Under EMU7800, at first, the left button only fires a shot. Pressing the right button does nothing except that from then on, pressing the left button causes it to fire a shot and drop a bomb. So it seems to be "trying" to support duals buttons then fails as soon as you use the second.

Results are the same when using a joystick connected too.

Also tried Asteroids. No hyperspace on buttons, only joystick down. Anywho, this pretty much makes Dark Chamber unplayable since you have no way of using bombs short of shooting them (which doesn't help if it's not where you need it).

F'in emulators. :x

Bombs really aren't required to finish the normal level, though. I ususally play this game with a CX-40 since the game takes so long to win or lose and the CX-40 is more comfortable to hold.

I'll trade bombs for comfort any day.

I haven't posted a score yet because I know it will take a while for me to end the game, and I don't have a lot of time this week.

Is there controls to change the joystick switch?  I think 1 position allows for 1 button control of fire and bomb.

1003510[/snapback]

Not that I can see. All the input settings are fairly straight forward, nothing regarding single fire button mode. I even looked at the .ini files, nothing in there that I could see either. :|

Bombs really aren't required to finish the normal level, though.

1003525[/snapback]

So you say. :P ;)

Hi there!

Neither MESS 0.102 nor EMU7800 0.60 seem to correctly support dual buttons. This is really odd for MESS considering it specificly has seperate mappings for each key.

Now that is weird, as I had no problems launching the grenades in Commando with the second button :?

So who is responsible for the 7800 MESS driver? Dan Boris?

Greetings,

Manuel

Now that is weird, as I had no problems launching the grenades in Commando with the second button :?

So who is responsible for the 7800 MESS driver? Dan Boris?

1003612[/snapback]

Ok, this IS weird. I just tried Commando again too, and each button works seperately just fine.

So this means the emu's are proccessing the 2 buttons correctly, and that my keyboard and computer aren't the problem either.

So why on earth are only some 2 button games not working correctly?

Uh-oh. Mario's got Papa locked up in a cage. Junior;s determined to free his Pop, and he's looking for help from you. Junior has the strength to climb up and swing between the vines. He's nimble enough to climb trees and hop between platforms. He just doesn't understand how it all works to save his dad, though. Come on over here and help out Donkey Kong Junior!

Game Information:

This week's game: Nintendo's Donkey Kong Jr.

Controllers supported: ProLine Joystick, Atari joypad

Difficulty Switches: n/a

Game Mode: One player standard

Scores may be posted in this thread until January 31st at approximately 10 PM Central Time.

Next week's game will be chosen from the following: Centipede, Choplifter!, Pole Position II, and Winter Games.

Become a member of the 7800 High Score Competition simply by posting a score in this thread.

Current High Scores

1. bfutrel 52,300

2. Goochman 38,200

3. Almost Rice 17,500

4. vdub_bobby 6,800

5. Artlover 4,200

Shadow's first score of the week:

Member List (post a score to join!)

silver_surfer, keilbaca, Mind Game, birdie3, Cybergoth, jedijeff, video game addict, FireTiger, Mordax, RJ, keitaro, Almost Rice, Pac Man Plus, jwierer, Artlover, hanglyman, bfutrel, Zylon Bane (?)

Getting the swing of things:

Ya'll are gonna have to help me out here, I'm totally new to DK Junior.

Edited by shadow460