IGNORED

Forum Upgrade Complete!

Albert

As for old entries getting their formatting stripped out, not sure what happened there. I looked through all your blog entries and it looks like only ones from 2005 were affected (not sure if this is also true with Nathan's). Something probably changed in the software around that time, and for whatever reason the script that rebuild all the bbcodes (the same script run on all 1.8 million posts in the forum) must not have processed those old entries correctly.

It's got nothing to do with the date, the script screwed up all blog entries that didn't have a category assigned at the time of migration.

Found what I think must be a bug (or maybe another awesome Invision feature! ;))

In the blogs, I can't get some of the orange AA logos to turn blue. For instance, Andrew's blog. I've clicked on every link in it I can find, and it won't mark it as "read". So at the bottom of his blog, I clicked on "mark board as read", hoping that would do the trick.

What it did, however, is marked everything in all of the AA forums as read, except the blogs:

post-2641-125097980668_thumb.gif

It's got nothing to do with the date, the script screwed up all blog entries that didn't have a category assigned at the time of migration.

It didn't screw up all of my uncategorized ones - and it did screw up some of mine that have categories. It seemed almost random (although I'm certain it wasn't), and for my blog, it only affected entries from about March 2006 and earlier (what was then about page 21). I'm not sure what the cutoff was though. It's either a date, or an entry ID#, or a page number, or a butterfly flapping its wings in Argentina.

I just posted a long rant on Invision's forum about their IP.Blog 2.0. It will be interesting to hear what they have to say. At any rate, please bear with me for now and I'll try to get everything straightened out in the end. Had I known there were going to be all these issues with the blog, I probably would have held off upgrading a bit longer.

..Al

Not sure if some conversion process is still going on but I noticed when I did a search of older messages (going back to 2005?) that all the attachments were missing from a couple of messages.

Can you point me at some specific messages so I can take a look?

Thanks,

..Al

Just noticed something strange. The word alert is switched to lowercase.

The following start with an uppercase A:

Alert

Apple

Allergy

Alerted

Alertastic

This is all uppercase:

BALERTIMINIUM

:ponder: Does it quoted too. Weird.

Thinking about it maybe the user removed the attachments from their profile page and the tags never got removed from the originating message? Anyways here it is..

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/126177-screenshots-and-vids-fromtempest-xtreem

That's the only one I found. I just remembered it because there were several "attachments" missing..

I accidentially unsubscribe do Nathan's blog and now I cannot find a way to subscribe to it again.

Is that just (stupid) me or is that interface not intuitive?

You can either use the +/- hearts on the ugly overview page or open the blog and use the link in the "My Blog Links" section on the right side.

Thinking about it maybe the user removed the attachments from their profile page and the tags never got removed from the originating message? Anyways here it is..

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/126177-screenshots-and-vids-fromtempest-xtreem

That's the only one I found. I just remembered it because there were several "attachments" missing..

I looked on the old forum and the attachments are missing there as well, so they must have been removed.

..Al

I do have one question... is there a "help" page for this new software? I clicked on public view for a poll (because I am not smart enough to know what that REALLY means)... and now, even with editing, can't undo it. Or at least I can't find where to undo it. I prefer the polls for the 8-bit HSC be anonymous. I don't want everyone knowing who voted for what. I can avoid this with the next poll by not clicking that option...I just can't fix it now! :(

Oh, BTW... nice job... thanks for all of your hard work Al. It is greatly appreciated!!

Edited by JellE

I do have one question... is there a "help" page for this new software? I clicked on public view for a poll (because I am not smart enough to know what that REALLY means)... and now, even with editing, can't undo it. Or at least I can't find where to undo it. I prefer the polls for the 8-bit HSC be anonymous. I don't want everyone knowing who voted for what.

There is a "Help" link at the top of the page under your username:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=help

However, I'm not sure it's detailed enough to answer your question. Hmm, I tried editing the poll and I don't see any way to change it back to a "Private" poll. I'm sure I can manipulate the database directly to fix that, though. Okay, fixed. :)

..Al

I do have one question... is there a "help" page for this new software? I clicked on public view for a poll (because I am not smart enough to know what that REALLY means)... and now, even with editing, can't undo it. Or at least I can't find where to undo it. I prefer the polls for the 8-bit HSC be anonymous. I don't want everyone knowing who voted for what.

There is a "Help" link at the top of the page under your username:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=help

However, I'm not sure it's detailed enough to answer your question. Hmm, I tried editing the poll and I don't see any way to change it back to a "Private" poll. I'm sure I can manipulate the database directly to fix that, though. Okay, fixed. :)

..Al

Thanks Al!! :)

Problems I have noticed so far that you probably already know about:

1. My Posts isn't showing the latest threads posted in at the top of the list. It's in some kind of weird order.
    _
  2. External links in posts are opening in the same tab instead of a new one. (Is that on purpose?)
    _
  3. Is Search My Blog supposed to only search my blog? If so, it's not working correctly. It's searching all blogs.

Problems I have noticed so far that you probably already know about:

My Posts isn't showing the latest threads posted in at the top of the list. It's in some kind of weird order.

Yes, this is a known issue and something I expect to be fixed on Invision's end.

External links in posts are opening in the same tab instead of a new one. (Is that on purpose?)

This is intentional. There are several threads on Invision's support site hammering this one back and forth. I agree with their decision--if the forum software forces links to open in another Window/Tab, there is generally no way for the end user to override that and have the link open in the same window. However, if the forum opens the link in the same window, it is quite easy for the user to have the link open in another tab/window. Most big sites I've seen that live on external links (Digg, Reddit, Slashdot, etc.) open links in the same window.

Is Search My Blog supposed to only search my blog? If so, it's not working correctly. It's searching all blogs.

Good question and something I'll have to look at. Would not be surprised if this is another "issue" with the blog system.

..Al

This is intentional. There are several threads on Invision's support site hammering this one back and forth. I agree with their decision--if the forum software forces links to open in another Window/Tab, there is generally no way for the end user to override that and have the link open in the same window. However, if the forum opens the link in the same window, it is quite easy for the user to have the link open in another tab/window. Most big sites I've seen that live on external links (Digg, Reddit, Slashdot, etc.) open links in the same window.

Agreed.

But instead of discussing back and forth, why not let the user decide? Google has a setting for this.

But instead of discussing back and forth, why not let the user decide? Google has a setting for this.

There actually is an admin-level setting for this, meaning I can enable/disable external links opening in a new setting for everyone. Given that logic is already in place for this, it probably would not be difficult to add a user-level setting. I'll add this to my list of mods I'd like to do. :)

..Al

I am now getting notified by e-mail when someone posts a reply under one of my blog entries. :thumbsup:

Don't know if you fixed that or if I fixed it by going to My Settings, Blogs, clicking on my blog title, then using the Save Changes button.

I can't take credit for this. :)

..Al

For those who are curious, I posted some gripes about the new Blog on Invision's site, and one of their employees responded this morning:

http://forums.invisionpower.com/topic/291502-very-unhappy-with-ip-blog-2-0/page__gopid__1848348entry1848348

Well, at least they read user feedback... although I noticed they didn't answer about the lack of support of the year 2005 (or earlier). :roll:

I had a thought on the broken formatting in older blog entries using search and replace... but I don't know how effective it might be.

Can the old paragraph markers (that it's presumably ignoring) be replaced with new ones, or a temporary character that could then be replaced by a new marker?

Or, what about searching for periods that have an ASCII character immediately following them, (i.e. no space or paragraph), then add them in?

Just wondering. :)