IGNORED

Forum Upgrade Complete!

Albert

I am hard pressed to believe that it's running "significantly" slower unless you are using a browser with a slow Javascript engine.

It's an Opera 9, so I guess it's probably rather depending on the 800MHz CPU. Each click in the forum is taking at least 3-4 seconds now.

Thanks for forwarding the other problems.

I am hard pressed to believe that it's running "significantly" slower unless you are using a browser with a slow Javascript engine.

It's an Opera 9, so I guess it's probably rather depending on the 800MHz CPU. Each click in the forum is taking at least 3-4 seconds now.

Thanks for forwarding the other problems.

Yeah, that's a pretty slow machine. I haven't tried Opera in a long time, but I'm going to install it in the next day or two so I can see how things look. Isn't Opera 10 in beta now? Maybe it has a much faster Javascript engine? An 800Mhz CPU is pretty slow these days, so I'd definitely want to use a browser with a fast JS engine (like Firefox, Chrome, or Safari, with Safari being the fastest by far). Doesn't look like Opera 9.x is too bad--slower than Firefox 3.5, but not nearly as slow as IE8. :D

..Al

I had major speed issues with the new site using IE6 on a fairly fast machine. I just switched over to Firefox and I haven't had any problems since.

I imagine IE6's Javascript engine is light years behind everything else these days. Not to mention all the rendering issues IE6 has with this software. They let you install Firefox at work?

..Al

Yeah, that's a pretty slow machine. I haven't tried Opera in a long time, but I'm going to install it in the next day or two so I can see how things look. Isn't Opera 10 in beta now?

Release candidate currently, final release 1st September.

Maybe it has a much faster Javascript engine?

It has a JIT Javascript compiler. Much faster than now (and even that's way faster than IE8, not to mention IE7 or 6). Though not quite as fast as FF 3.5, Chrome or Safari.

I'm on IE6, which is the reason why it's so slow. I'll need to get chrome and try it instead.

You get used to it though - when I click on a forum topic, I pass the time waiting for the page to load by making myself a cup of tea.

There is a "Lo-Fi" skin you can choose at the bottom of the page. It probably has very little (if any) Javascript and it's much smaller in terms of page size, and no images. Invision is working on an improved version of this that is supposedly nearly done. For speed, you really can't beat that. It doesn't support all the pages no the site (like the user control panel), but for basic browsing of the forum it's fine. I think they will be adding the new topic indicators to the new version.

..Al

It's a old P4 ~2.6GHZ with 1GB RAM, GeForce 6800. Laptop is Core Duo 2.0GHZ with 4GB RAM.

Hmm, I have to take a look at the PC I'm using at my soldering station. It's running XP and it's several years old as well. It's at least five years old.

..Al

The PC is only for browsing, Photoshop, universal device programmers and EPROM emulators for me, so it doesn't matter that it's that old. But stuff got a lot slower.

Another minor rendering bug:

The user menu at the top right has no rounded corners with Opera (9.64).

I just installed Safari to give it a brief try. JavaScript seems to be faster, but overall it "feels" slower than Opera. At least at AtariAge.

I just installed Opera and I'm using it now. For one thing, the blue color differences you pointed out before are considerably more pronounced in Opera than they are in Firefox, Safari and IE7. I have to wonder if this is an Opera-related issue. As for the rounded corners, Opera doesn't support either of these two CSS style:

-moz-border-radius: 6px;

-webkit-border-radius: 6px

While you noticed them in the user box at the top of the page, the rounded corners are used all over the place. You can see them in Safari and Firefox. Not sure if any other browsers support those styles. The rounded tab at the top of the page is actually comprised of two images, which is why you can see those rounded corners in Opera.

Speedwise Opera seems pretty fast for the small amount of browsing I've done so far in the forum. I do see the menu briefly at the upper right as you described.

..Al

More to the point - you're stripping out entire sections of your blog because they can't get their crap together, and come up with a way to properly migrate the older entries over. It ain't brain-surgery. It's data. If a web browser can still parse it, they should be able to cobble together a script that can properly transfer it over to the new software. :x

I spaced on this earlier, I didn't realize Manuel was removing so many entries. Manuel, why are you doing this?

..Al

As for the rounded corners, Opera doesn't support either of these two CSS style:

-moz-border-radius: 6px;

-webkit-border-radius: 6px

From the names I guess those are propietary. Not a very good idea to use propietary stuff, IMO.

EDIT: Found those properties are called experimental.

Maybe that helps for Opera: http://home.e-tjenesten.org/~ato/2009/08/border-radius-opera

After browsing a bit more, I've only seen that appear once in 20 page loads, and that was after switching back and forth between two skins.

Makes sense, as it seems to be a matter of CPU speed. And I am seeing it fewer now too.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch