IGNORED

Forum Upgrade Complete!

Albert

Not sure if it weas mentioned before, but I just noticed, that emoticons in my blog are all disabled. But I am sure they were enabled before the switch.

They are also disabled by default for new blog entries and for single blog comments. Even if you had already enabled them and just edit an entry/comment, it falls back to disabled.

Will look into this.

..Al

When you're in a forum, and click on the icon to mark messages read in a sub-forum, the sub-sub-forums do not get marked as read.

Specifically, when you go into the Programming forum and mark the messasges in "Atari 2600 Programming" as read by clicking on the AA icon, the sub-sub forums "2600 Programming For Newbies" and "batari Basic" do not get marked read.

As far as I can tell, if you do this from the top level forums view, all sub-sub(-etc) forums do get marked read. It's just when you do this from inside a forum that it doesn't work right.

When you're in a forum, and click on the icon to mark messages read in a sub-forum, the sub-sub-forums do not get marked as read.

Specifically, when you go into the Programming forum and mark the messasges in "Atari 2600 Programming" as read by clicking on the AA icon, the sub-sub forums "2600 Programming For Newbies" and "batari Basic" do not get marked read.

As far as I can tell, if you do this from the top level forums view, all sub-sub(-etc) forums do get marked read. It's just when you do this from inside a forum that it doesn't work right.

I'll have to see if this was done intentionally by Invision.

..Al

I spent some time yesterday working on the visual appearance of the search results (used when you do a normal search, and also "View New Content", "My Posts" and "Today's Active Content", among other things). It now looks closer to the previous forums, I fixed the order of the tabs and also eliminated the "All New Content" and "All Users Content" tabs that should not have been visible (I believe that's a bug in the software). I still need to add the "New Post" icon back to some of these queries (such as "View New Content"), and need to fix the title for the "My Posts" query.

..Al

I don't get why they have to keep bringing out new versions all of the time. Just make a version that works and add cool things to it over time to make it better. Doing completely new versions with a ton of new bugs seems insane.

Well, I suppose we could just be calling Bulletin Board Systems on our 14.4K dial-up modems! ;)

You can only add things to software for so long before it becomes bloated and difficult to maintain. Just look at Windows--there's so much cruft and backwards-compatibility crap in there that it's been a nightmare. Sometimes you just need to start fresh as you learn new things and to build a solid foundation that supports new technologies and techniques that simply were not around for your "current" version of the software. IP.Board 3.0 was pretty much rewritten from the ground up, so it's going to have more bugs than a more simple "upgrade" of a previous version.

Except perhaps for the Blog module (whose changes actually have little to do with the 3.0 forum software--I just hadn't upgraded it in some time), there haven't been that many visible bugs for end users given how complex this software is. There may be 150 bugs they've fixed between this version (3.0.2) and the next (3.0.3) about to come out, but of those maybe 10% would be noticeable by users here, and nearly all of those are relatively minor issues.

The foundation in IP.Board 3.0 will allow developers (both Invision and third-party) to create some great additions and enhancements to the software over time--things that weren't as easily possible with the the previous version.

..Al

The foundation in IP.Board 3.0 will allow developers (both Invision and third-party) to create some great additions and enhancements to the software over time--things that weren't as easily possible with the the previous version.

Until those great additions and enhancements stop working when IP.Board 4.0 is released. :D

Thanks for the info. I guess you have to start over sometimes, but you'd think they'd catch some of these bugs themselves since the bugs stand out like a polar bear standing on a big pile of coal.

Thanks for the info. I guess you have to start over sometimes, but you'd think they'd catch some of these bugs themselves since the bugs stand out like a polar bear standing on a big pile of coal.

It was in public testing for over six months before it was released. Again, it's very complex software and it's not until people start installing it on large forums with a wide variety of server environments, locales, and so forth that many bugs become apparent. Most of the stuff being fixed now is pretty minor.

..Al

This is the slowest forum on the internet now, for me anyway. What about everyone else?

It's pretty fast for me and I haven't really had any complaints about it being slow after the initial two days. What exactly is slow for you?

..Al

It's a bit sluggish for me as well. Not like the first couple of days but still not like it was pre-upgrade. It seems to want to reload everything when you click on any link.

Mitch

It's a bit sluggish for me as well. Not like the first couple of days but still not like it was pre-upgrade. It seems to want to reload everything when you click on any link.

What do you mean by reload everything? You mean your browser isn't caching any of the images? I still do not have "xcache" enabled, which generally helps a fair bit in that it caches a TON of pages so they can be served up immediately without them having to be processed (which saves a lot of time). Having xcache enabled makes skinning the forum a royal pain in the neck--I will work today on getting AA up and running on my local machine so I can do the skinning work there. That will take care of the caching problem I'm having and I will leave xcache enabled.

I just turned xcache back on, which should help a bit. Other than that, though, I haven't noticed any weird issues with Firefox or Safari trying to reload everything on each page refresh.

..Al

What do you mean by reload everything? You mean your browser isn't caching any of the images? I still do not have "xcache" enabled, which generally helps a fair bit in that it caches a TON of pages so they can be served up immediately without them having to be processed (which saves a lot of time). Having xcache enabled makes skinning the forum a royal pain in the neck--I will work today on getting AA up and running on my local machine so I can do the skinning work there. That will take care of the caching problem I'm having and I will leave xcache enabled.

I just turned xcache back on, which should help a bit. Other than that, though, I haven't noticed any weird issues with Firefox or Safari trying to reload everything on each page refresh.

..Al

Yes, it just sped up quite a bit. So I'm assuming that was the issue.

Mitch

Maybe he doesn't like, that e.g loading this website requires more than 400k. And opening the Reply screen takes more than 250k.

Or he uses IE which is known to be extremely (6) to still very (8 ) slow at Javascript.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch

Maybe he doesn't like, that e.g loading the website requires more than 400k. And opening the Reply screen take more than 250k.

Yes, but how much of that is cached after you load the page initially? All of that can't possibly be loaded on a modern browser with every page refresh.

..Al

Here's a link to the old forum:

http://atariage.com/forums_236

About the same amount of data, but a bit faster display.

Maybe due to less Javascript. My Athlon 2000+ isn't very fast anymore. I hope the JIT Javascript compiler of Opera 10 will help here.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch

About the same amount of data, but a bit faster display.

Maybe due to less Javascript. My Athlon 2000+ isn't very fast anymore.

I'm glad to hear it's about the same amount of data, thanks for checking. There certainly is more Javascript, no doubt about that, so faster computers will fare better there.

..Al