IGNORED

7800 Piggyback Expansion Module comes to life!

Curt Vendel

You could use the PIA for the SIO/DB9 lines as well as for bank-switching as done on Atari 130XE. It's not just the command line, the cassette player uses the motor line from PIA and I'm using proceed line as well.

As I mentioned previously there is no A8 PIA. The RAM bank switching is handled by a PLD on PCB.

No more kidsy animal/bug themed games. Nintendo has enough of all that Yoshi crap. We don't need it on the 7800 too.

Denied! :lolblue:

More high end shooters/platformers/arcade ports/rpgs please.

You'll have to wait and see.

So you're using all of the awesome power of the expansion module to make more "Sally's Fun Farm" type games and making use of the pokey for realistic barnyard noises and cutesy animal fart sounds?

So you're using all of the awesome power of the expansion module to make more "Sally's Fun Farm" type games and making use of the pokey for realistic barnyard noises and cutesy animal fart sounds?

Yep! Absolutely! Then I'm going to convert it to a Facebook application as well.

Yep! Absolutely! Then I'm going to convert it to a Facebook application as well.

Strange I may have to buy an expansion module, and put it on my block list at the same time. :P

Just thought of another one, while reading the O2 thread.

UFO! Do it old school, and with some tweaks for variation, or to take advantage of the significantly more capable 7800.

Both of these titles can be two players as well. On the off chance we get multi-player time, it's always good to have a homebrew / port title or two to check out. It's like getting a new game. Two-fer!

Already being done by Gorf. He announced it a while back and showed some early screenshots.

Already being done by Gorf. He announced it a while back and showed some early screenshots.

Emulator binaries here :-

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/154745-maria-chip-has-been-resythensized/page__view__findpost__p__1897100

CC2 binaries here :-

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/154871-a-mea-culpa-and-some-penance-to-7800-fans/

I want to know what will happen if I buy 5 of these and piggyback them all onto themselves.

Nothing!

I don't think your right. I think it will fall over and smash on the floor. Something tells me we will never find out the truth. :D

Allan

I wonder if any precedence has been set to help determine approximately how many of these might be sold? Has anything like this been created for other retro consoles?

I guess there's a few items out there that fall in or near the same range, such as the A2600 speech module. Anyone know how many that sold?

Not trying to stir up trouble; I'm just very curious.

Thanks,

5-11under

I wonder if any precedence has been set to help determine approximately how many of these might be sold? Has anything like this been created for other retro consoles?

I guess there's a few items out there that fall in or near the same range, such as the A2600 speech module. Anyone know how many that sold?

Not trying to stir up trouble; I'm just very curious.

Thanks,

5-11under

I'd give this more chances than most. Most of what it brings to the table gamewise is the POKEY chip and extra ram; it has other features but they are more computerlike IMHO and can be mostly disregarded for games. The POKEY and to a lesser extent RAM have shown up in cartridges before. So what we have here is a device that makes things easier for an ambitious developer yet it is still on the reasonable side of what we've seen the 7800 do before. So all we really need is some software to showcase it which job Groovybee appears to be on. I'm inclined to view this as a one time purchase that would keep the price of future well-featured homebrew down and help keep POKEY from becoming an endangered species. If Groovy and the other 7800 brewers shower us will POKEY enabled mega-level goodness then they can do it with PROM only carts that are low priced rather than POKEY laden RAM stuffed carts that are difficult and expensive to produce.

I'd give this more chances than most. Most of what it brings to the table gamewise is the POKEY chip and extra ram; it has other features but they are more computerlike IMHO and can be mostly disregarded for games.

I disagree. There is more to the expansion module than RAM and POKEY. It has several NES like mappers built in purely for reducing the CPU cycle load for certain types of games. This will allow homebrewers to make more interesting games or achieve faster frame rates by shifting some of the grunt work onto the hardware.

• Like 1

yet it is still on the reasonable side of what we've seen the 7800 do before.

I suspect that one of the things the module will allow more use of is games that use the 320 modes effectively. I've seen a lot of demos and a few examples of it being used in games of the day, but not a lot due to cycles taken.

Well, perhaps you guys should post up a poll of top 10 games you'd like to see made, let the dev's know.

I know arcade ports aren't always the most popular and everyone has their choices, but...

1. Major Havoc: *never* released on any console or computer (I don't count the emulated ones that appeared on next-gen consoles) and it should use the Atari trak-ball controller.

2. Marble Madness: no Atari games console ever received a port. Track ball please.

3. Black Widow: *never* released on any console or computer (I don't count the emulated ones that appeared on next-gen consoles) and it should use dual joystick control like Robotron 7800 does.

4. Arabian. I dunno, it just needs to be released

5. Cloak and Dagger. Need I say more? See #3

6. Paperboy. I bet it would kick!

7. Quantum. *never* released on any console or computer (I don't count the emulated ones that appeared on next-gen consoles) and it should use the Atari trak-ball controller.

8. I, Robot. Now that'll be a challenge. *never* released on any console or computer

9. Crystal Castles. With trak-ball support

10. Track and Field. Additional use for the Atari controllers and would be cool with voice.

My meager and overly ambitious list.

Edited by Jet-X

The guy who requested original stuff like "Adventure III" (whatever it would be, hypothetically) is really on to something. I think original games that can't be played on other systems would make this device very, very interesting. Hell, after all the alleged "5200 hating" I still keep thinking about getting one to play "Adventure 2."

Everyone's different, but I just don't understand the interest in arcade ports. The 2 kinds of arcade games I like are (1) the flawed, limited, imperfect one I grew up playing so I'm nostalgic about and (2) the actual real-deal as played on MAME or an arcade compilation. There was a reason to play the limited ones in the old days ('twas the best you could get then) and the real-deal now ('tis the best you can get now). If someone added a bunch of new levels to arcade ports (say, Donkey Kong) it would be cool and unique though, but it should offer something that would pique the interest of gamers awash in emulators and arcade-perfect classics.