IGNORED

Forum Upgrade (mostly) Complete!

Albert

Just reporting what I'm seeing.. I've been actively posting in that "Jungle King" thread, but whenever I click "my content", the thread is never listed. :P Works fine otherwise. :)

My guess is that the software might be assuming you don't care that you are the last one who posted. It's only letting you know when someone else posted in a thread you posted in or created. The thinking might be "Who wants to be notified about the post they just made?"

Just reporting what I'm seeing.. I've been actively posting in that "Jungle King" thread, but whenever I click "my content", the thread is never listed. :P Works fine otherwise. :)

My guess is that the software might be assuming you don't care that you are the last one who posted. It's only letting you know when someone else posted in a thread you posted in or created. The thinking might be "Who wants to be notified about the post they just made?"

I'm pretty sure one of the two "View New Content" methods does just this, which is why I asked NE1 above which method he's using.

..Al

If there are no new posts since you posted, it may not show the thread. Which "View New Content" method are you using? It's shown on this page in your settings (look for "Search Settings"):

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=usercp

..Al

My search settings are set to "show me all new content since my last visit". The method I'm using to search is I'm clicking the "My Content" link on the top right of the screen. I just did it now for example and it's still not showing that Jungle King thread, and really that's where all my posts were prior to this.

post-31-0-51405600-1300473778_thumb.gif

In either case though, shouldn't the thread always show up in my results (since of course, I have posts in there)? Looking at that list there are a bunch of threads that haven't had any posts as opposed to the relatively active Jungle King thread.

The new upgrade allows you to see who's added rep points to a particular post. I'm not 100% sure I can get behind that, nor am I sure that it'll be a net positive for discussions here. Is there a way for individual posters to opt out?

You can opt out by not voting posts up.

..Al

• Like 4

OK, but in the past the rep point process was anonymous (except to admins, I assume), and people used it with the assumption of privacy. Now it's been de-anonymized, which is fine -- but it also appears to be retroactive, and I'm not sure that's appropriate.

EDIT: My answer was originally in reply to the previous iteration of your post ("No."), but my reply still stands, I think.

Edited by thegoldenband

OK, but in the past the rep point process was anonymous (except to admins, I assume), and people used it with the assumption of privacy. Now it's been de-anonymized, which is fine -- but it also appears to be retroactive, and I'm not sure that's appropriate.

There is no way for me to selectively turn it on or off. I think this will keep people from simply voting up their friends, as opposed to voting up a post based on its merits. There's certainly been plenty of abuse of this feature. I think the only times people are going to look at this are when rep points look "fishy", that is, bands of people (or just individuals) are voting someone up. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it though.

..Al

Just fyi, looks like that JK thread still isn't showing up on my content page despite it having new posts recently.

I'm not trying to complain at all.. just reporting on what I'm seeing with the new software. :)

I appreciate these reports, so keep 'em coming. I did just look at "View New Content" and the Jungle King thread is showing up in the proper place. These sorts of issues are going to be harder to track down. :D

..Al

Just fyi, looks like that JK thread still isn't showing up on my content page despite it having new posts recently.

I'm not trying to complain at all.. just reporting on what I'm seeing with the new software. :)

I appreciate these reports, so keep 'em coming. I did just look at "View New Content" and the Jungle King thread is showing up in the proper place. These sorts of issues are going to be harder to track down. :D

..Al

It still isn't even showing up on mine, and I tried seperate browsers (ie/ff). I wonder if it's an issue displaying content from some subforums depending on the user? I realize something like that would be hard to track down.. if you really want you can use my login/pass to check it out. That'd be fine with me. :P

You may need to change your settings.

Go to My Settings, then Notification Options, then check Watch every topic I reply to.

That fixed it for me.

post-2641-0-79606500-1300482447_thumb.gif

You may need to change your settings.

Go to My Settings, then Notification Options, then check Watch every topic I reply to.

That fixed it for me.

post-2641-0-79606500-1300482447_thumb.gif

Long shot.. but ok done.

Ok I just checked and it doesn't look like it's changed anything. That Jungle King thread which I have 1 or 2 recent posts to is absolutely nowhere to be found when I click "My content" :P

I think I'm going to dink around with a couple more settings but at this point it just seems like a strange bug. I mean, every other thread I've ever posted to recently seems to show up in my list just fine.. just not that one.

I too have noticed that a few of the threads that I replied to have yet to show up on my "my content" list. Maybe they don't show up until someone else posts a reply in that same thread?

I've noticed this as well. I don't think the "My Content" function behaves the same way as it did on the old forum. It's seems to behave more like "View New Content In Threads I've Previously Posted In".

• Like 1

I've lost almost all my member updates except for one. And that one seems to have doubled it's self.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/statuses/all/page__member_id__18160

Before the forum update, you only had "one" status. The forum did not record a history of all your status updates. With this update, now a history is maintained and other members can respond to your status updates. Therefore, you did not lose any member updates.

The doubling bit is due to a problem during the upgrade process--that happened to everyone. At some point I may try to get clever and remove all the duplicate entries.

..Al

I've noticed this as well. I don't think the "My Content" function behaves the same way as it did on the old forum. It's seems to behave more like "View New Content In Threads I've Previously Posted In".

Well, it is different in that the "My Posts" page with the old forum software is something I wrote. The "View My Content" page is something new that was added to IP.Board 3.1.x. It should function in a similar fashion to the old "My Posts" functionality I wrote, but obviously it's behaving differently in some fashion. I need to spend some time investigating this, and I really won't have a lot of time to until next week. However, if members here can provide screenshots showing views of "My Content" and pointing out specific threads that are either being shown multiple times or are missing (with screenshots showing the forum showing the thread or threads that obviously have new messages) that is information I can pass on to Invision in hopes that they'll acknowledge and/or fix the issue(s).

Thanks,

..Al

• Like 1

Well, it is different in that the "My Posts" page with the old forum software is something I wrote. The "View My Content" page is something new that was added to IP.Board 3.1.x. It should function in a similar fashion to the old "My Posts" functionality I wrote, but obviously it's behaving differently in some fashion. I need to spend some time investigating this, and I really won't have a lot of time to until next week. However, if members here can provide screenshots showing views of "My Content" and pointing out specific threads that are either being shown multiple times or are missing (with screenshots showing the forum showing the thread or threads that obviously have new messages) that is information I can pass on to Invision in hopes that they'll acknowledge and/or fix the issue(s).

I don't think "My Content" is necessarily broken, it just works different than "My Posts" insofar as it isn't a straight ego search like "My Posts" was. Interestingly, you can't even do a "My Posts"-style ego search using the Search engine directly. The Search engine returns the exact same results (leaving out topics that you were the last to post in) as "My Content", so there may be no way to make this work like it used to. I believe most here will agree that "My Posts" provided a greater level of functionality, (thanks again for giving it to us (+1) ), but "My Content" isn't unusable in it's current form, especially when you consider that most people were probably using "My Posts" just to quickly check if someone responded to a thread that they were posting in, and that functionality appears to basically still be there.

Here are some screen shots. The first is a standard search that returns a result showing that I was the last individual to post in the Dragon Age 2 thread at 5:02 PM. The second screenshot is a "My Content" search that is missing the Dragon Age 2 thread. It should be between the.golden.ax's feedback thread (3:56 PM) and the official thrift finds thread (7:28 PM).

Standard Search Results ("dragon age ii")

post-2851-0-50305200-1300511082_thumb.png

"My Content"

post-2851-0-28135800-1300511129_thumb.png

So much for that theory...

Here's a screen shot of a "My Content" search I just did, and it now appears to be behaving properly insofar as it is showing this very thread and me as the last poster in it.

post-2851-0-92403600-1300512226_thumb.png

A standard ego search returns the same results.

post-2851-0-71663100-1300512323_thumb.png

I now have no idea what is going on. Why would this particular thread show up, but not Dragon Age 2, which is still not showing up?