IGNORED

Wich one of these two Prince of Persia you prefer?

José Pereira

Sprites and colours&luminances (can be others) apart, what of these two Rocks type you think look better designed/better looking:  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Sprites and colours&luminances apart(can be others), what of these two Rocks type you think look better designed/better looking:

• PC original looking
    • C64 remake looking

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

It's in the spirit of keeping the look/feel of the other original versions, ie Apple 2, Amiga, ST, early Mac version.

Those original screens also transition well into the animated harem sequence and game itself. Going away from that would just stuff up the continuity of the game.

actually they don't transition well at all from a design point of view because it "breaks the rules" that the previous 2 screens of intros have created when it goes to full screen for the harem scene.

using 3 sets of full screens would in actual fact have been much better from a design perspective. or put a frame around the harem sequence.

In the original version he ( or the artist) leaps back and forth from one style to another.

not a good example tbh.

Steve

So which is it emkay? One hour? I thought you lost "so much time" on "bugware." Now that time is mentioned, it's just not that much time?

Oh, and knocking out some fun little game can totally happen within the time frame of discussion on this thread. At the least, the animation test could be done...

So which is it emkay? One hour? I thought you lost "so much time" on "bugware." Now that time is mentioned, it's just not that much time?

Oh, and knocking out some fun little game can totally happen within the time frame of discussion on this thread. At the least, the animation test could be done...

Bugging with the software takes much time.

Working around them has already brought a usable picture, just the text has to be changed

The main title needs standard handling, so no problem there.

this is amied at all of you and no one in particular...

Why are you expending so much wasted energy on trying to match the c64/apple title screens?

you already have a perfectly fine title screen done by Mr Fish.

the "title cards" can be done in hires with no coloured borders, you could instead copy the style of the old silent films that were Jordan Mechner's inspiration like so:

tumblr_l2y0w8rDPr1qzs56do1_500_thumb.jpg

all you have to do is Google for "arabic Borders" and you are sorted.

not all the versions of Pop had opening titles exactly the same, so why keep trying to copy something that's always just out of reach or costs a ludicrous amount of time and effort to attempt to get close to.

I can readily visualise a really nice opening sequence done in this manner and am quite baffled why you keep trying to overthink it.

Steve

Perhaps, we are also wasting time in using you're sprite frames ;) ...

And, just because you are into here, can you say/answer why Mrsid didn't use yours 'Fat Guard man' shapes? Was it just Kbs. saving?

STE86 I always try to be with all guys but don't take it personal, why did you enter here with this comments...

You know or not... that we can have some 'secret treasures/possbilities' around?

If there is really some PoP 'running' can we, at least have some freedom?

This includes your sprites frames, if you kindly give us the rights to use them...

:-o LOL. whole games have been written in the time it will take to get this front end into shape :)

I have respect for your work and sadly, probably there isn't or there wasn't a guy like you in the A8 world on the past or even today but please respect us...

I may be really satrting to think that there some people that really wants to ...

And no, in this simple things the A8 computer are not saying 'NO':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bov7UiyJacA&feature=related

Because on the END can exist a computer saying YES :-D

Edited by José Pereira

why did I enter here with my comments?

because all i see on here are fantasy graphics and imaginary code as per usual.

You dont need some half arsed conversion of my c64 pop title, because you already have a very nice one thank you very much to Mr. Fish.

one which looks INFINITELY better than those g2f conversions. and more to the point, is programmer friendly and actually usable.

you could, should you want to, have a working into to PoP inside a few days. But i suspect that some on here don't actually WANT a workable solution because then you have to stop blathering about how you COULD do it and actually DO it.

oh and when i played it last night, the fat guard was on level 6 just before you meet the shadow for the second time.

• Like 1

LOL

Looking at the graphics and listening to the sound, it seems, this will be the 1st time, the A8 will beat C64 at least with the intro part.

Colours get closer to the PC version and SID seems to have somehow problems with that orientalic sounds.

Well, also in RMT it would be possible to set the 16 bit values directly for the basses, and a reminder of the colours...

post-2756-0-32469300-1319402608_thumb.gif

this is amied at all of you and no one in particular...

Why are you expending so much wasted energy on trying to match the c64/apple title screens?

you already have a perfectly fine title screen done by Mr Fish.

the "title cards" can be done in hires with no coloured borders, you could instead copy the style of the old silent films that were Jordan Mechner's inspiration like so:

tumblr_l2y0w8rDPr1qzs56do1_500_thumb.jpg

all you have to do is Google for "arabic Borders" and you are sorted.

not all the versions of Pop had opening titles exactly the same, so why keep trying to copy something that's always just out of reach or costs a ludicrous amount of time and effort to attempt to get close to.

I can readily visualise a really nice opening sequence done in this manner and am quite baffled why you keep trying to overthink it.

Steve

Sometimes I feel that if someone gets something then it is the only one that can do it...

And yes, maybe we are using your work, but just because I must say that it's a very good work and yes, your work is also possible on A8...

LOL

Looking at the graphics and listening to the sound, it seems, this will be the 1st time, the A8 will beat C64 at least with the intro part.

Colours get closer to the PC version and SID seems to have somehow problems with that orientalic sounds.

Well, also in RMT it would be possible to set the 16 bit values directly for the basses, and a reminder of the colours...

:?

LOL

:?

The colour-density is easily reached, and the fitting colours can be adjusted nicely.

When did this become beating the C64?

Each port of this game was done to make the most of the machine attributes, whatever they are. Frankly, the A8 would have trouble duplicating what we see on the Apple screen, AND what we see on the C64 one, though I think the character movement and resolution characteristics are doable in a way that's on par with the other two, but it will take some work.

The Apple has nice color density on it's hi-res screen, and it's got small color pixel sizes too, both of which allow for pixel art not possible to duplicate on the A8*. C64 can do it though, because it too has nice color density on it's hi-res screen, and it's got small color pixel sizes.

Those attributes ALONE mean there will be compromises on the Atari 8 bit computers. The PC version has different strengths, and the game was matched to those, as it was on every other platform where it appeared. None of that is about beating the other machines, but is all about the game, it's nice character motion and screen art to a nice level the machine in question is capable of.

Sound? The Apple sucks, unless one has a Mockingboard. Not sure whether this game saw Mockingboard support. I don't think it did.

C64 does music tunes very well, and guess what? This game features music! Again, what could happen on A8 isn't about beating the C64, but all about taking those tunes and rendering them in a compelling way, which happened even on the 1 bit audio speaker output of the Apple.

As for the screens, sure. A8 can make them look nice. The other machines can too. I don't see any serious "beating" going on though, as the other machines can pretty easily toss up enough colors to make those screens work.

Add that all up, and a nice, playable, solid looking A8 port is possible. Great! That does nothing to diminish the already excellent C64 one out there, and beating it? High school ended a long time ago.

*if possible, then a LOT of work with PM overlays on hi-res graphics would be required, and I remain dubious. Somebody should try that as a side experiment using overlays to see what is possible on artifact colors.

Edited by potatohead

This things started when I was posting one more of my screens, then Emkay was posting his ideas.

I didn't agree with him and him with me...

If I was into 'A8 vs C64' then I would say that C64 hasn't, or the author don't want to, get things really good colour looking.

C64 runs in Multicolour Bitmap Mode and that would probably be impossible in A8, impossible if the author uses all C64 possibilities.

And that isn't there.

Isn't there and now on A8 we have something to begin:

First we can use our better A8 colour/luminance Palllete

(a green/gray/blue front Rock will never be a 'turning/backstage gray'

But this is just an IMHO/colours thing...

And if a good IMHO with A8 Pallete joined with the same gameplay would makes the difference...

A8 can have less colours by line but the colours can be more 'true colours'.

The coder would do the rest...

It isn't not another 'vs' but you all know that C64 and A8 will ever have a 'vs'.

This is our nature...

And this is good because we all will try to get better than the other.

If we like what we are doing why ask if this is possible or not... we have to ask but with people that can get the answers:

(from the same time we stared ours 'A8 vs C64 wars)

When did this become beating the C64?

Each port of this game was done to make the most of the machine attributes, whatever they are. Frankly, the A8 would have trouble duplicating what we see on the Apple screen, AND what we see on the C64 one, though I think the character movement and resolution characteristics are doable in a way that's on par with the other two, but it will take some work.

The Apple has nice color density on it's hi-res screen, and it's got small color pixel sizes too, both of which allow for pixel art not possible to duplicate on the A8*. C64 can do it though, because it too has nice color density on it's hi-res screen, and it's got small color pixel sizes.

Those attributes ALONE mean there will be compromises on the Atari 8 bit computers. The PC version has different strengths, and the game was matched to those, as it was on every other platform where it appeared. None of that is about beating the other machines, but is all about the game, it's nice character motion and screen art to a nice level the machine in question is capable of.

Sound? The Apple sucks, unless one has a Mockingboard. Not sure whether this game saw Mockingboard support. I don't think it did.

C64 does music tunes very well, and guess what? This game features music! Again, what could happen on A8 isn't about beating the C64, but all about taking those tunes and rendering them in a compelling way, which happened even on the 1 bit audio speaker output of the Apple.

As for the screens, sure. A8 can make them look nice. The other machines can too. I don't see any serious "beating" going on though, as the other machines can pretty easily toss up enough colors to make those screens work.

Add that all up, and a nice, playable, solid looking A8 port is possible. Great! That does nothing to diminish the already excellent C64 one out there, and beating it? High school ended a long time ago.

*if possible, then a LOT of work with PM overlays on hi-res graphics would be required, and I remain dubious. Somebody should try that as a side experiment using overlays to see what is possible on artifact colors.

Wer lesen kann, ist klar im Vorteil ;)

I've written "Intro Part".

Seems some nature of things let's look the A8 better there.

Just like the RED of the C64 is too "brown", the Yellow misses the "gold" and blue is too bright, violett is too "blue" . The title also uses only 11 colours , because not all of the 16 colours/palette were usable, if you want to have a serious looking screen on the C64.

STE did a good job, converting the pictures to the C64, they are a good "blueprint" to work on the A8. The final results look simply better due to the available colours.

Same with the sound. The SID sounds like "du du du .... dääääääääääää" ..... horrible. POKEY has an original generator for those sounds.... only basses have to be set "per hand" , since no 16 bit Tracker exists.

Reading has absolutely nothing to do with my post. In this day and age, tossing out some tripe in another language really doesn't get you much. Just so you know.

{retracted, I've much better things to do}

Have fun with that.

Writing just silly comments, seems you haven't really better things to do?

How old are you ? I guess somewhere between 6 and 12 .... depending on your behaviour.

If we like what we are doing why ask if this is possible or not... we have to ask but with people that can get the answers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEpAtTe-oJY&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL3E34B09EDB815000

(from the same time we stared ours 'A8 vs C64 wars)

funnily enough when the A8 vs C64 thing starts, there's some reference to the C64 conspiracy or an endless cyclic debate about screenmodes and PMG positioning kicks off with no end in sight this smiths song comes to mind:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btOyj3qM_Dk

Edited by sack-c0s

because all i see on here are fantasy graphics and imaginary code as per usual.

Here is what I did yesterday :) (while avoiding spending time on forums ;) ).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iafkjemUWr8

ps. This is probably the simplest (copy block of ram) routine that can be made, and as such not that usefull.

No masking, no shifting , but at least it restores background as it goes along :)

Purple color in the upper part of screen shows how much cpu is used (routine is in vbi).

Edited by popmilo
  • Like 5