IGNORED

Images generated by RastaConverter

Philsan

I have a question. Is possible to modify Rasta Converter to make bigger images?
164 or 168 pixels wide?
As shown in demo (Death of the Right Side Garbage - Atari XL/XE demo) recently made?
They somehow controlled the 4 pixel noise on the right side of the screen...
Rasta Converter just covers the noise with black (dark gray)?

Celebrity 2
real palette -   real.act
47 colors

All files (xex, an output.png and orher) in zip file.
The image is output.png with lowered brightness and higher contrast to simulate a TV attached to an Atari with lowered brightness and higher contrast set to achieve real white and black. I wanted her hair to be black

GravityWorm_Celebrity_0002_output_brightnes_contrast.png

GravityWorm_Celebrity_0002.zip GravityWorm_Celebrity_0002.xex

Edited by GravityWorm
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Sheddy said:

Nice! Is that rate what you normally get or just a fluctuation with 16 threads or more?

My best machine only manages peaks of 90 000, but it is old now.

My machine averages 500 million per hour when using YUV image distance.  CPU is pretty stout - it's an i9-12900 and can run 24 threads but Rasta only allows up to 16.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sheddy said:

I think that error is coming from the separate GUI front end program. Are you able to try same options from command line to confirm?

Unfortunately I don't know anyone who has the source code for the front end.

Sorry - this is in fact an issue with the front end, not the actual Rasta Convertor.

5 hours ago, GravityWorm said:

I have a question. Is possible to modify Rasta Converter to make bigger images?
164 or 168 pixels wide?
As shown in demo (Death of the Right Side Garbage - Atari XL/XE demo) recently made?
They somehow controlled the 4 pixel noise on the right side of the screen...
Rasta Converter just covers the noise with black (dark gray)?

I think this relates to use of the wide playfield setting, which Rasta doesn't currently use (it uses standard width playfield).

The black quadruple-width missiles at the left and right borders of Rasta images are used currently to mask stripes created by changes to the background colour (which displays in these borders) not the 'garbage pattern' 'Virtual playfield DMA' ANTIC/GTIA glitch seen at the extreme right of wide playfields.

Rasta could in theory be reprogrammed to use a wide playfield, but it would reduce the CPU cycles available for enhancing the image through register updates because of increased ANTIC 'cycle stealing' for playfield graphic DMA memory access.  A wide playfield in the usual Rasta resolution would display 176 pixels (160, plus 4 extra pixels to the left and 12 extra pixels to the right) plus 2 pixels of 'garbage' at the extreme right border of the image (seen only on real hardware coupled to displays capable of fully showing these extreme widths, or on emulators programmed to display them- currently I believe only Altirra with certain display options set).

It would also in theory be possible to furthermore program Rasta to use the 2 'garbage' pixels at the extreme right border of each image, using a technique similar to but slightly different from that described for the Death Of The Right Side Garbage demo- as described in detail here- but this would eat up further CPU cycles, so again the result would be a marginally wider image (178 pixels vs 176 pixels) but at the cost of some degradation of the quality of the rest of the image.

So, yes, these things are possible but I doubt anyone is going to implement them as options to Rasta any time soon, as unfortunately those with the requisite skills have repeatedly said they don't have sufficient time or interest to invest in making further improvements to the app.

Edited by drpeter
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Philsan said:

I attach the complete folder (W10 64 bit).

RastaConverterBeta8_Test1.zip 3.59 MB · 4 downloads

OK, thanks.

That confirms that there are no player repositioning artifacts in that image- there are no discrepancies between output.png and the displayed xex, also Rasta Slide detects no potential player positioning artifacts.

So that's a pass for @Sheddy's new Rasta version.

Edited by drpeter
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, Stephen said:

Sorry - this is in fact an issue with the front end, not the actual Rasta Convertor.

Using ILSpy, I see what the issue is.  When the code loads, it attempts to grab the # of threads the system can use, and then set text based on a dropdown value.  The control contains entries for 1 through 16.  Since my CPU has 24 threads, the line " ComboBoxThreads.Text = Conversions.ToString(ComboBoxThreads.Items[checked(Environment.ProcessorCount - 1)]);" is trying to set the text to array subset 23, but that does not exist.  Nobody will see this error if their processor has 16 threads or less.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2