Images generated by RastaConverter

Philsan

11 hours ago, Atari8man2004 said:

Mother Mary

Color: Monochrome

Atari8man_Mother_Mary.png

Atari8man_Mother_Mary.xex 22.15 kB · 4 downloads

We are so in telepathic connection?
I am working on something connected to Apostle Cyril!
He developed an alphabet. I was talking to a friend today she is catholic. I showed her Cyril's ancient alphabet. I posted Indian symbols recently, so I wonder If I could make a Atari 800/400 picture?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Beeblebrox said:

I thought the last version of RC was ver7? Or have I missed something? 

Sheddy's working on a new version of the Rasta Converter that dose away with horizontal artifacts and needed some feedback last night. I threw 8 images at it some that gave me big problem with horizontal artifacts in the past and there gone!  But somehow this new version dose a lot more it seems faster so on some of the images instead of using 4 threads I used only 2 and they converted just as fast but better.  This new version will produce way better conversions.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Atari8man2004 said:

Sheddy's working on a new version of the Rasta Converter that dose away with horizontal artifacts and needed some feedback last night. I threw 8 images at it some that gave me big problem with horizontal artifacts in the past and there gone!  But somehow this new version dose a lot more it seems faster so on some of the images instead of using 4 threads I used only 2 and they converted just as fast but better.  This new version will produce way better conversions.

Ah, interesting. I didn't think sheddy was working on RC itself, rather just the slide creator and tools suite. 

Do you have the link to the beta 8 of Sheddy's RC? :)

• Like 1

RastaConverter Beta8 Testing

I've been messaging people who might know a bit about the RastaConverter source code to see if some simple hack or work-around could be done to help stop those ugly horizontal line artefacts it does sometimes which only show up when viewed on real Ataris or modern emulators

After being pointed to an idea in the right kind of direction and place (thanks @phaeron) I've done a small hack to the Evaluator function which I'm getting some feedback from @ilmenitabout. The idea (which has been suggested by others in the past too) avoids a complete rewrite of some things, and makes RastaConverter give a bad score to scan lines that meet certain fairly simple conditions instead.

In the meanwhile I've been trying it out myself with some good results, and as you can see here recently, have let @Atari8man2004 have at it, as he has a powerful rig and lots of pictures on the go, so would likely notice any problems sooner than most. So far so good by the looks of it! Thanks very much for testing.

So sharing it with you all here now. @ilmenit has been kind enough to try getting his RastaConverter development environment set up again to check things out properly, which we've both found is unfortunately a pain to get working now on newer environments due to the age of the libraries and things used originally. Although it is only quite small changes, please let me know if you come across any new weirdness with this version, as it is very possible for me to have made mistakes with this, not being too familiar with the codebase or C++ (learning a lot from trying this)

Thanks to @drpeter for managing to find an example of a wrongly self overlapped player and of course for highlighting the artefact issues in the first place, what causes them at a deep level and how to try and fix them (building on @phaeron findings in his Altirra Hardware Reference manual, making Altirra more accurate, and prompted at least partly by... what RastaConverter actually shows on a real Atari) 

Kind Regards

Sheddy

sheddy_ding.png

RastaConverterBeta8.zip sheddy_ding.xex

Edited by Sheddy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 9

6 hours ago, Sheddy said:

RastaConverter Beta8 Testing

I've been messaging people who might know a bit about the RastaConverter source code to see if some simple hack or work-around could be done to help stop those ugly horizontal line artefacts it does sometimes which only show up when viewed on real Ataris or modern emulators

After being pointed to an idea in the right kind of direction and place (thanks @phaeron) I've done a small hack to the Evaluator function which I'm getting some feedback from @ilmenitabout. The idea (which has been suggested by others in the past too) avoids a complete rewrite of some things, and makes RastaConverter give a bad score to scan lines that meet certain fairly simple conditions instead.

In the meanwhile I've been trying it out myself with some good results, and as you can see here recently, have let @Atari8man2004 have at it, as he has a powerful rig and lots of pictures on the go, so would likely notice any problems sooner than most. So far so good by the looks of it! Thanks very much for testing.

So sharing it with you all here now. @ilmenit has been kind enough to try getting his RastaConverter development environment set up again to check things out properly, which we've both found is unfortunately a pain to get working now on newer environments due to the age of the libraries and things used originally. Although it is only quite small changes, please let me know if you come across any new weirdness with this version, as it is very possible for me to have made mistakes with this, not being too familiar with the codebase or C++ (learning a lot from trying this)

Thanks to @drpeter for managing to find an example of a wrongly self overlapped player and of course for highlighting the artefact issues in the first place, what causes them at a deep level and how to try and fix them (building on @phaeron findings in his Altirra Hardware Reference manual, making Altirra more accurate, and prompted at least partly by... what RastaConverter actually shows on a real Atari) 

Kind Regards

Sheddy

sheddy_ding.png

RastaConverterBeta8.zip 2.78 MB · 0 downloads sheddy_ding.xex 18.07 kB · 0 downloads

Thank you very much!

I am doing a test with a tough conversion that ended with many stripes.

I hope new RC doesn't work well otherwise I'll have to redo all my conversions ah ah. 😁

• Haha 4