IGNORED

Images generated by RastaConverter

Philsan

"In 2086, two American puppets journeyed to Earth, seeking our help. In return, they gave hoomns nothing. They wanted to give hoomans the first hyperdrive, allowing mankind to open the doors to the stars. But hoomans had it already and it was called Alcuberre Drive ([alkuˈβjere]) and was invented by Mexixan scientist Miguel Alcubierre Moya widelly known as Miguel Alcubierre. In 1994..."
Almost 50 colors!
NTSC palette
/pal=ntsc.act
Screenshot from a PAL emulator
@drpeter probably could help fixing errors... IDK...

MiguelAccubiere07NTSC.png

MiguelAccubiere07NTSC_screenshot.png

MiguelAccubiere07NTSC.xex

• Like 2

Converting images of computer chip dies don't convert nicely or anything that has small detailed parts.  The Pc I use for rasta is off-line for de-dusting and fresh thermal paste on the cooler so today I was using a much older Pc that I have here it's a Phenom II 6 core runing at 3.75 ghz the Video card is also old Nvidia GTX960  and 8 gigs of system memory ddr3 1866 .  I had a die shot of the prossor on the desktop so I thought I would try a conversion on it...  Most likely it will not turn out good but I'll give it a try..    I'm posting a WIP  :)  the src  and the CPU usage as you'll see rasta puts a good load on the cores.

src.PNG

rasta.PNG

cpu load.PNG

Edited by Atari8man2004
  • Like 3

I would love to see huge GFX slideshow, with music on 2 channels and pictures being loaded from the disk (and some propaganda text in between :)).  Maybe is there any? Otherwise, all those damn good conversions will be forgoten in couple years.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dhor said:

I would love to see huge GFX slideshow, with music on 2 channels and pictures being loaded from the disk (and some propaganda text in between :)).  Maybe is there any? Otherwise, all those damn good conversions will be forgoten in couple years.

You'd not get this, (in terms of RC images), running off a real hardware Atari disk or stock memory a8s for various reasons.

Firstly capacity. The average RC image 22k. Even with some form of light compression it would take a good while to load, and even if you loaded several into memory and uncompressed, there wouldn't be more than a few images available. 

The other major consideration is cpu processing. An RC image takes a lot of cpu cycles and system resources to display. Doesn't leave much room, if any, for it to be doing other things such as u compressing or loading, and also I believe the screen has to be blank whilst loading from SIO devices. 

I have seen a cut down version of an rc image running with single channel music and a single text scrolled before. However that is a single demo that loads into stock memory a8s, displaying a single image. 

The only way I can see it working is either :

-You have an enhanced ram A8, (say one with 512k or 1MB). You then have a non SIO loading cart device, so a PBI based one such as side3 or avg. Here you can load compressed images very fast into the A8 computer's memory, then uncompressed and run. 

Or

-You have a banked ram capable cart from which the images load from said banked ram. This again could still be a side3 or avg cart, as they can emulate banked ram. But also it could be say an Atarimax max flash 8mbit (1mb) cart. 

Incidentally, Side3 has the additional ability to load images quickly straight from a Fat32 format sd card off the sd card, (limited the GB's worth of storage in any given sized SDcard), where you would be limited to the capacity of the A8's ram here, loading several images into memory, or one at a time. Since it's not SIO based but still PBI based that might work. PBI is much faster at data transfer than SIO. 

I don't think you have any way of doing this off a standard SIO disk drive or SIO device, (ie fujinet, sdrive max, sio2sd, etc) simply because of speed and the limits of SIO. Even a virtual atr disk image, which could be mounted in respect pc software running via sio2pc usb and hooked up to A8 would still have the same constraints. 

One other way would be on Altirra emulator, so not on real A8 hardware at all. This opens up a lot of possibilities as you could have a massive atr disk image and get it to load super fast, (as you can speed things up in Altirra in terms of data transfer). 

Still, even emulated, having two channel sound and a scroller, with rc images, would be a push for the emulated cpu cycles. The other consideration also being that a lot of RC images are 320x240 full screen. You'd be better off using 320x200 letter box size rc images. 

I am no expert here, and the likes of fellow rc AA regulars @MrFish and @Sheddy among others might wanna chime in here. :)

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Thanks 1

On 2/24/2024 at 5:27 PM, Sheddy said:

RastaSlide 4.3 - RastaConverter Slide Show Maker and Tools

Changes in version 4.3
- Compiled with old GO version 1.20.14 which is the last that works with Windows 7
- Early version of tool to help recreate some files for RastaConverter /continue

@MrFish Hopefully this should work for you

sheddy_opal_sea_turtle.png

RastaSlide 4.3.zip 5.12 MB · 15 downloads sheddy_opal_sea_turtle.xex 22.1 kB · 11 downloads

4 hours ago, dhor said:

Yeah, I know, no music, but it has the rest covered.

• Like 5

On 7/16/2012 at 7:07 AM, Stephen said:

Now some of my all time favourites - although sad. They are from the troubled artist Louis Wain (google him if you are not familiar). I hope if I go off the deep end that I end up in a happier place than this poor soul did. Anyhow - here are my 1st attempts at his cats (I am redoing #3 with a details mask. I will let the machine run as long as it needs to in order to eliminate the banding). I have two machines running image #3 over night (both do around 4 thousand evals per second). One is doing knoll dithering laoo palette, the other is chess dithering with altirra palette. So far, neither is looking very promising.

Details are in the filenames.

post-650-0-61294300-1342415228_thumb.png

post-650-0-47521600-1342415229_thumb.png

post-650-0-21683100-1342415230_thumb.png EDIT post-650-0-21568600-1342436512_thumb.png

post-650-0-74943400-1342415227_thumb.png

post-650-0-16514200-1342415231_thumb.png

Post edited with new version of cat#3. I think this one is just too much for the little Atari to render.

I'm working on a cat picture! :)

• Like 4

2 hours ago, GravityWorm said:

I'm working on a cat picture! :)

Cool.  I may have found a few more of his pictures since then.  I should go back and re-try a few of the ones that didn't work, given my now additional 12 years of using the convertor!  Man - how time flies.

• Like 1