IGNORED

Images generated by RastaConverter

Philsan

Thanks to @Sheddy I have a working build environment for Rasta Converter on a new Visual Studio. This allowed me to merge and test the pull requests that were added by the others. The binary build Beta8 done by Sheddy here is the one to use now, the fixes are very good. Having some free time I'll make an official release to download from Github directly. Now I'm trying to understand the highly optimized code introduced by @phaeron with the multi-threading and caching that he added. While the code is of good quality, it's lacking the general comments about concepts used. Also I did not program in C++ for more than 10 years now and never used it for multi-threading so the task is not easy. I have some ideas to check and implement, but first I need to do more code cleanup to make it easier to work with the code in the future. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, ilmenit said:

Thanks to @Sheddy I have a working build environment for Rasta Converter on a new Visual Studio. This allowed me to merge and test the pull requests that were added by the others. The binary build Beta8 done by Sheddy here is the one to use now, the fixes are very good. Having some free time I'll make an official release to download from Github directly. Now I'm trying to understand the highly optimized code introduced by @phaeron with the multi-threading and caching that he added. While the code is of good quality, it's lacking the general comments about concepts used. Also I did not program in C++ for more than 10 years now and never used it for multi-threading so the task is not easy. I have some ideas to check and implement, but first I need to do more code cleanup to make it easier to work with the code in the future. 

While going through some old folders (and trying to fix an annoying issue with Rasta GUI), I came across a beta 7 ZIP, which had extended feature support (and were labelled as "fast builds").  Do you know if these changes have been merged in?  The files in questions were titled "RastaConverterBeta7.icl17.SSE2.exe", and "RastaConverterBeta7.icl17.AVX512.exe".  I do not have the source, only the exes.

33 minutes ago, Stephen said:

While going through some old folders (and trying to fix an annoying issue with Rasta GUI), I came across a beta 7 ZIP, which had extended feature support (and were labelled as "fast builds").  Do you know if these changes have been merged in?  The files in questions were titled "RastaConverterBeta7.icl17.SSE2.exe", and "RastaConverterBeta7.icl17.AVX512.exe".  I do not have the source, only the exes.

they look familiar. I remember sharing those quite a few years ago now. I had got a trial version of the Intel Compiler to try learning something. That didn't work out, but I played with various processor options  and Profile Guided Optimization for RastaConverter. There weren't any changes over beta7, but the compiler just did an outstanding optimization for speed on the code.  The Intel compiler isn't the same anymore (but is free) and I can't get Profile Guided Optimization to work with RastaConverter and Visual Studio anymore. But it has been compiled with the best settings I could find for speed.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

almost makes you wish you could assign a dither/no dither mask, the world could be blended and the Owl dithered. That would pop!

The way to do this is in pre-processing: produce two (or more) output.png-dst.png images with different types of (or no) dithering then combine the output.png-dst.png images into a single input image with the right kind of dithering in the places you want them and finally run Rasta with that as input and no dithering or other tweaks.

I did this in my recent Stonehenge image: the sky below the clouds has knoll dithering strength 3 and the clouds and foreground low strength jarvis dithering.

Edited by drpeter
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, Atari8man2004 said:

Night Owl

Colors: 56

Plus src

Atari8man_Night_Owl.png

output.png-src.png

Atari8man_Night_Owl.xex 22.12 kB · 11 downloads

Another stunner!

A question- although it seems to be for a PAL palette, the proportions of this image and many of your other recent ones seem slightly vertically flattened- see for example the very obviously elliptical moon in this one- and the proportions look more 'normal' on an NTSC display where the almost square but very slightly vertically flattened PAL pixels are instead noticeably vertically stretched.

Is this because of the kit you are displaying images on?  Or is it a deliberate compositional thing to vertically squeeze images into 240 vertical pixels?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, drpeter said:

Another stunner!

A question- although it seems to be for a PAL palette, the proportions of this image and many of your other recent ones seem slightly vertically flattened- see for example the very obviously elliptical moon in this one- and the proportions look more 'normal' on an NTSC display where the almost square but very slightly vertically flattened PAL pixels are instead noticeably vertically stretched.

Is this because of the kit you are displaying images on?  Or is it a deliberate compositional thing to vertically squeeze images into 240 vertical pixels?

I have been using Irfan_View 64 for windows for color count and to resize the image when I enter 320 for the width it never sets the hieght to 240 it's always off by a few.  Sometimes I try to get a better ratio by making a clip of the image in a 4:3 ration this seems to work better like in this Image of "Pink Roses" .   Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Atari8man_Pink_Roses.png

Atari8man_Pink_Roses.xex

• Like 7

4 hours ago, drpeter said:

The way to do this is in pre-processing: produce two (or more) output.png-dst.png images with different types of (or no) dithering then combine the output.png-dst.png images into a single input image with the right kind of dithering in the places you want them and finally run Rasta with that as input and no dithering or other tweaks.

I did this in my recent Stonehenge image: the sky below the clouds has knoll dithering strength 3 and the clouds and foreground low strength jarvis dithering.

Oh this sound great I will do some studies with method.

3 hours ago, Atari8man2004 said:

I have been using Irfan_View 64 for windows for color count and to resize the image when I enter 320 for the width it never sets the hieght to 240 it's always off by a few.  Sometimes I try to get a better ratio by making a clip of the image in a 4:3 ration this seems to work better like in this Image of "Pink Roses" .   Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Atari8man_Pink_Roses.png

Atari8man_Pink_Roses.xex 22.11 kB · 3 downloads

I use irfanview all the time, never noticed. It always resizes to 320x 240 or 320x200 respectively. 

Great conversion by the way. 

Edit make sure you have preserve aspect ratio Unchecked when resizing. That could be your problem. 

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

I use irfanview all the time, never noticed. It always resizes to 320x 240 or 320x200 respectively. 

Great conversion by the way. 

Edit make sure you have preserve aspect ratio Unchecked when resizing. That could be your problem. 

irfanview is like a "swiss army knife" with so many options it's my go to app.

44 minutes ago, Beeblebrox said:

nice. Think this could work well with more dithering and a mask.

Great skin tones.

I used mask on face and hand.
Ditherning 0.9 Jarvis
 /pal=real.act /details=mask.png /details_val=4 /dither=jarvis /dither_val=0.9 /dither_rand=0.21 /s=34500 /threads=4 /seed=0 /save=10000000 /continue

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GravityWorm said:

I used mask on face and hand.
Ditherning 0.9 Jarvis
 /pal=real.act /details=mask.png /details_val=4 /dither=jarvis /dither_val=0.9 /dither_rand=0.21 /s=34500 /threads=4 /seed=0 /save=10000000 /continue

Sure. I'd ramp up the dithering on all of the subject and perhaps do my double dithering technique as described in the RC thread last year. Works a treat with portrait and skin tones eg my own conversion portrait last year

https://forums.atariage.com/topic/200118-images-generated-by-rastaconverter/?do=findComment&comment=5339446

image.png.97815eb16ba252d9666f4e2658838bfd.png

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Beeblebrox said:

Sure. I'd ramp up the dithering on all of the subject and perhaps do my double dithering technique as described in the RC thread last year. Works a treat with portrait and skin tones eg my own conversion portrait last year

https://forums.atariage.com/topic/200118-images-generated-by-rastaconverter/?do=findComment&comment=5339446

image.png.97815eb16ba252d9666f4e2658838bfd.png

I remember. You use this technique a lot.
Oh. I did not get it. Now I understand you did that on purpose. I thought you just used very low quality source images, overexposed and noisy.
But my observations are not valid I still need to see Rasta Converter pictures on a real CRT...  I'm planing to visit a local 8 bit computers

museum... There are at least two in my area...

• Like 1