IGNORED

Images generated by RastaConverter

Philsan

OLIVIERN Version is still running.

I look forward to viewing it on my 800XL.

Just so you know, the PAL version isn't unpleasant to see. Although, the colors aren't accurate when viewed on my NTSC TV they are in keeping with the winter theme of the picture. No colors shifted to pink or violet or green.

Edited by a8isa1
  • Like 1

Slight thread hijack here ... an earlier picture, which I did in MIN mode (9+12) ...

post-23798-0-18550000-1447895849_thumb.png horses - min.obx

It is a real shame that Graphics 9 or 10 could not be somehow incorporated into RastaConverter ... even if it's changing the GTIA setting in the middle of the render. This sort of picture looks ideal, when the Graphics 9 shading comes into play.

• Like 1

Looks like I can stop the oliviern conversion, because the pal version looks better on ntsc. :grin:

Are you sure, the oliviern palette is suitable for ntsc conversions? :? :)

attachicon.gifUnbenannt.PNG

Please don't think that. Despite what you see in emulators all Rastaconverter pictures generated using any PAL palette have the wrong colors on real NTSC equipment.

I wish I could show you what I see but my camera (an old one) shifts colors a little and has bad contrast and brightness with video sources. I'd have to edit screen captures just to present something. My edited pictures would not be proof of what I see.

If you have access to Atari800 emulator try this command: atari800 -ntsc -paletten <palette path>/OlivierN.act <PAL rastaconverter XEX>. This will display a PAL image using the NTSC palette, OlivierN. The colors will be wrong and they will show you what I see on an NTSC monitor/TV.

There may be equivalent command line switches for Atari800Win Plus but I wouldn't know what they are.

Now try it again with one of your NTSC XEXes. Be aware blues are shifted slightly toward violet in Atari800 emulator but look better on my monitor and my TV. All other colors look much better, more natural.

OlivierN palette is a compromise for me but seems closer to reality than the other NTSC palettes I have tried..

If you think all of this is all frustrating count youself lucky that you didn't live with NTSC encoding. It was nicknamed "Never Twice the Same Color" for good reasons.

[EDIT]

p.s. I just remembered a good example. One of your earlier pictures, AUTUMN.XEX, all the leaves are green here.

Edited by a8isa1

Conversion request for you all ... this pic:

post-23798-0-88654100-1447903716_thumb.png

This is a c-64 picture, which I converted to PCIN:

post-23798-0-61802700-1447903587_thumb.png

... from my Super IRG pix thread here:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/188370-doing-pictures-using-super-irg-2-and-other-ice-modes/?p=3179240

Not sure if someone has already converted this, but I'd be curious to see what results Rasta gets from this one.

Edited by Synthpopalooza
  • Like 1

By the way, please post the OlivierN XEX of this picture!

Your other two NTSC conversions look great on my TV.

I have started a new one using the NTSC palette from Philsan.

@a8isa1: Would be nice, if you could test the result on your real NTSC-hardware and if it's okay, I will finish the rendering. otherwise I'll restart the olivierN Version again.

post-41320-0-94370400-1447952159_thumb.png

xmas NTSC Version using palette from Philsan.

Greetings, Mario

output.xex

Edited by MARIO130XE
  • Like 1

Conversion request for you all ... this pic:

attachicon.gif94235.png

This is a c-64 picture, which I converted to PCIN:

attachicon.gifpilgrims.png

... from my Super IRG pix thread here:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/188370-doing-pictures-using-super-irg-2-and-other-ice-modes/?p=3179240

Not sure if someone has already converted this, but I'd be curious to see what results Rasta gets from this one.

Working on. :)

post-41320-0-25281000-1447952414_thumb.png

• Like 1

I have started a new one using the NTSC palette from Philsan.

@a8isa1: Would be nice, if you could test the result on your real NTSC-hardware and if it's okay, I will finish the rendering. otherwise I'll restart the olivierN Version again.

attachicon.gifoutput.png

xmas NTSC Version using palette from Philsan.

Greetings, Mario

It works OK here but the OlivierN conversion of the house with a snowman was quite good too.

Edited by a8isa1

For the palette change, it would be more useful to have a tool that analyses the RP File and makes it possible to change the colour values there. Colour manipulations of a still image were also possible.

This is not possible in RastaConverter in general because a single CPU register load may be used both to set a GTIA color register and also set a player's X position. In other words, the program might find a case where the color value it needs also happened to be the value it needs for the X position of a player so it just issues a single LDX/Y/A for both. So changing the color would position the player incorrectly and vice versa. That being said, these cases are probably rare for many images.

BTW, I'm aware that RastaConverter doesn't specifically look for these shared register values. It just tries billions of random kernel program mutations and selects the ones that give the best results.

• Like 1

OK, monochrome test ... what would Rasta make out of this?

post-23798-0-08041400-1447980541_thumb.jpg

This requires some very subtle gradation. I did these two attempts, in the ICE modes MIN (12+9) and M0 (0+9) and got these:

post-23798-0-74056400-1447980531_thumb.png abstract cubes - min.obx

post-23798-0-67637300-1447980522_thumb.png abstract cubes - m0.obx

For the M0 render, I rendered the hi-res Graphics 0 source from GIMP using positioned dithering. This introduces artifacts on a standard CRT monitor.

Would be interesting to see how Rasta's 8 greyscales compare to this.

Edited by Synthpopalooza

OK, monochrome test ... what would Rasta make out of this?

attachicon.gifabstract cubes wallpaper69347.jpg

This requires some very subtle gradation. I did these two attempts, in the ICE modes MIN (12+9) and M0 (0+9) and got these:

attachicon.gifabstract cubes - min.png attachicon.gifabstract cubes - min.obx

attachicon.gifabstract cubes - m0.png attachicon.gifabstract cubes - m0.obx

For the M0 render, I rendered the hi-res Graphics 0 source from GIMP using positioned dithering. This introduces artifacts on a standard CRT monitor.

Would be interesting to see how Rasta's 8 greyscales compare to this.

Let me start a test run for ya. This is using yuv with chess dithering. I found no dithering gave too little gradiation. It was nearly identical to your min conversion.

It's looking really nice - only a few hundred thousand iterations, and already has a normal distance of 4.5. I'll let this go for a while. For now, here's a preview:

post-650-0-08554900-1447982504_thumb.png