IGNORED

Donkey Kong XM Pre-order and demo

tep392

Amazing plays, looks, and sounds wonderful. This is beyond a hack and simply fantastic. The only two things I would mention in case forgotten and still possible:

1. Fireballs changing color on the ramp screen when Mario has the hammer.

2. Hammer changes color/flickers lighter when a few seconds remain - towards end of music - for all levels.

The last thing I notice also on the ramp screen is that not only do blue barrels turn into fireballs, but sometimes the "plain" ones to as well. Not sure if that happens in the Arcade or not.

Regardless of the above...This is simply wonderful as is and it is very much appreciated. Thank you.

Edited by Trebor
  • Like 1

Amazing plays, looks, and sounds wonderful. This is beyond a hack and simply fantastic. The only two things I would mention in case forgotten and still possible:

1. Fireballs changing color on the ramp screen when Mario has the hammer.

2. Hammer changes color/flickers lighter when a few seconds remain - towards end of music - for all levels.

The last thing I notice also on the ramp screen is that not only do blue barrels turn into fireballs, but sometimes the "plain" ones to as well. Not sure if that happens in the Arcade or not.

Regardless of the above...This is simply wonderful as is and it is very much appreciated. Thank you.

I have a few changes in mind for the ramp screen. On the arcade machine, the brown barrels fall off the sides of the screen when they are below Mario. Only the blue barrels go to the bottom and make fireballs. I should be able to change the colors of the hammer and fireballs correctly. I'm actually more concerned with getting the scoring behavior corrected so jumping multiple barrles gives higher point values.

As always, thanks for the feedback.

• Like 1

Perry,

This new version is excellent! There's almost too many things that you have made different to mention and all for the better. I wouldn't be too concerned about making it just like the arcade as this version has a charm all it's own now. The arcade doesn't have Pauline do a dance when DK beats his chest for instance.

One small thing, the ladder color on the stages match the line around the bonus timer. On the elevator stage you have the color as yellow instead of the ladder color. Also the Game Over message is in yellow and should be the same as the ladders. Boy is that being picky huh.

This is looking and sounding great and I'm loving it.

Chuck

Edited by ChuckH
  • Like 1

I know that this is repeating some things but:

1. Fireballs don't turn blue when using the hammer on the first ramp screen.

2. Only the Blue barrels should make fireballs on the first screen.

3. As you pointed out, the barrels fall to the side below Mario on the first screen except the blue barrels. I don't think this is too important.

4. The scoring is different than the arcade version as far as using the hammer, etc. but again this doesn't seem too important to me anyway.

5. In two player mode, you have player one a Player I- instead of Player <I> and player two as Player II- instead of Player <II> as in the arcade version. I know very picky.

Again, I know you and Trebor have pointed out some of these things already.

I wonder if you'll still be implementing the different Japanese and US versions with the difficulty switch and a high score table. Also, it would be nice if there could be sound for people that won't have the XM thing.

Thanks for the great work.

Chuck

• Like 1

Hey Perry,

I know you mentioned the pie/cement factory being quite a bit tougher than the arcade, but this was a first I saw today with double pies almost next to each other with no way to jump over them on the first level:

post-18-0-71509700-1354044097_thumb.png

Not quite sure if anything can be done to prevent that from occurring (At least not on the first level), but just thought I would mention it if at all possible to fix.

In the arcade version you get points for jumping over the pies in the pie factory but in this version you get nothing.

Just some feedback.

In the arcade version you can get extra points by getting close to DK on the rivet level and jumping up and down. Sort of like stomping on his toe. It would be nice to have this little extra in there.

In the arcade version you get points for jumping over the pies in the pie factory but in this version you get nothing.

Just some feedback.

In the arcade version you can get extra points by getting close to DK on the rivet level and jumping up and down. Sort of like stomping on his toe. It would be nice to have this little extra in there.

Thanks. I'll look into to it. I was planning to add the ability to jump next to kong for points on the rivet level.

...and in the 7800 version the fireballs can not climbing over the second level on the Girders screen.

As always thank you for your kind attention.

Marco

dkfireball.png

This will be a bit of a challenge. The animation code is very inefficient and believe it or not, I'm actually running out of space. I've been rewriting the original code where possible to free up space. We'll see.

• Like 3

not sure how faithful it is, but it does have the pie factory.

It has the same issues as the standard issue/retail NES release but adds the pie factory.

The biggest flaw (outside of the already known issues with the retail version for the other levels – No, “How high Can You Get”, missing animations, wrong hammer placement, fireballs do not travel pass the second platform on the ramp level, etc.) under the Pie Factory, Donkey Kong does not move back and forth. He remains stationary.

It is nice to see the Pie Factory regardless under the NES. RetroUSB did a nice job with the cart – which I own a copy, and sits near my other “original 30 black box” games.

• Like 1

I was able to free up some space and should be ablt to modify the fireballs to climb up to higher levels. The code that controlled the barrels rolling down the ramps was extremely inefficient. There were 70 individual segments of code that controlled the motion of the barrel down the ramps and ladders, and they were all nearly the same. I was able to reduce it down to 10 segments of code with a table to sequence them and saved 1k of rom space.

With some efficient programming I think Atari could have included the cement factory within the original 48k rom space. Probably couldn't have squeezed in the intro and how high can you get screens though.

• Like 7