IGNORED

Donkey Kong XM Pre-order and demo

tep392

Marc, beautiful box - my only comment is I'd lose the Mario you have on the back. It's too modern (3-D style) in comparison with the game art on the front. There must be a resident artist that can do a nice cartoon 2-D style like the front of the box (or from the Atari 5200/7800 Mario Bros) or even a pixel version (like the NES box)

• Like 1

Marc,

Boxes look great, except for one thing.

Your character's name does evolve into "Mario" in the future (In Donkey Kong Jr). Right now though, he is only referred to as "Jumpman".

As a side note: The woman, often referred to as Pauline, received her name when the game was distributed to North American. In Japan, she was only known as "the Lady".

So it's the lady's name in Japanese is "Onna no Hito-san"?

Edited by Bakasama

Perry, I haven't had much time to chime in here, but the game looks outstanding! I cannot wait to play it on console. I'll be sending my payment for a cart shortly. :D

Marc, really nice work on the box! I do have to agree with a few of the others, though. I think it would be best to not use a modern depiction of any of the characters anywhere on the box. This is, afterall, an attempt (very successful attempt, actually) for a faithful adaptation of the original arcade game played on the 7800. Whereas this version of Mario only makes me think of Super Mario 64 or Super Mario Galaxy.

Additionally, I also agree that since this finally includes all 4 screens of the arcade game, all four should be shown on the back to emphasize the completeness of Perry's work. Maybe even include a shot of the intro sequence and/or the in between sequences. I understand, though, that this may be too many screen shots for the area allowed. Then again maybe not if the screen shots take the place of the cgi Mario up top.

Lastly, (and maybe as I did the label, I am seeing this with a little bias :-P) I think the artwork from the label would be better suited for the box cover as well. It's very subtle, but I took the original arcade side art and repurposed it for the label art. It always bugged me how it looks like when they originally recreated the art for the old 7800 DK box, it looks like they rushed it by hurriedly tracing the original arcade art. So it looks close, but the 7800 DK art always looked sloppy to me. I can provide you a better version of the one on the DK XM label next week, if you're ok with that.

Lastly, (and maybe as I did the label, I am seeing this with a little bias :-P) I think the artwork from the label would be better suited for the box cover as well. It's very subtle, but I took the original arcade side art and repurposed it for the label art. It always bugged me how it looks like when they originally recreated the art for the old 7800 DK box, it looks like they rushed it by hurriedly tracing the original arcade art. So it looks close, but the 7800 DK art always looked sloppy to me. I can provide you a better version of the one on the DK XM label next week, if you're ok with that.

I never noticed that before! I put your label side by side with the original Atari label and can clearly see he extra detail yours has.

post-24519-0-98688800-1351730693_thumb.jpgpost-24519-0-90438200-1351730703_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Tep392 I have seen your updates, very good work :)

After seeing you used arcade font in "how high you can get", I want to ask you, the font used to score,level, etc. can be replaced by arcade font style too? I think it would add a even more arcade feeling but I don't know if can be done easily.

In fact, in 7800 games in general you can replace the default 7800 charset font or you must to design it like other sprites?

And Marc's box is awesome, the XM label style is very good, perhaps in front there is too much empty space at top, and I agree too in replace 3d mario for something more 'retro', for example something like character introduction used in this back arcade flyer:

http://flyers.arcade-museum.com/?page=flyer&db=videodb&id=316&image=2

that's why i begged for a complete donkey kong with tia sound.

the XM could be years away ...

I'm confident that Curt is putting his full effort into getting this finished and won't be years away.

Regarding TIA, I won't put that back in since it would be a major step back in quality. You would be better off playing some music in the background. I do expect to ship before the end of December, even if the XM has not shipped. I'm pretty confident that the sound can be verified by the XM developers with minimum risk so I don't need one in hand. I'm putting together a prototype cart this weekend so I will be able to test everything but the sound on my console.

• Like 2

I'm confident that Curt is putting his full effort into getting this finished and won't be years away.

Regarding TIA, I won't put that back in since it would be a major step back in quality. You would be better off playing some music in the background. I do expect to ship before the end of December, even if the XM has not shipped. I'm pretty confident that the sound can be verified by the XM developers with minimum risk so I don't need one in hand. I'm putting together a prototype cart this weekend so I will be able to test everything but the sound on my console.

i can test the final version on real hardware for you, so far the posted bin works

Regarding TIA, I won't put that back in since it would be a major step back in quality.

That makes sense. Besides, the CC2 and this game both support a pokey, so worst case (which I dont' expect) might be to change the pokey access to match CC2 locations...

(And I fully admit, I have no idea what I'm talking about regarding memory locations... ;-) )

Game looks great..

desiv

Edited by desiv

That makes sense. Besides, the CC2 and this game both support a pokey, so worst case (which I dont' expect) migth be to change the pokey access to match CC2 locations...

(And I fully admit, I have no idea what I'm talking about regarding memory locations... ;-) )

Game looks great..

desiv

you really don't ;)

can't be played with sound on CC2 , because there's no Bankswitching scheme made by Chad for 144k+pokey

you really don't ;)

As I said.. ;-)

can't be played with sound on CC2 , because there's no Bankswitching scheme made by Chad for 144k+pokey

So it would just take a new bankswitching routine for the CC2?

I wonder how possible or not that might be for someone..

desiv

i think i may have a solution, if you can make the game bigger, (512k)

there are schemes for 512k + pokey on cc2 , also a cart can be made with built in pokey to play on real hardware

no XM needed

it was made with the SOFT CELL demo , entire song + color cycling graphics with 512k+pokey ,

the scheme is 78POK512 and in that case 78QUICK had to be used because it was not signed

all this applies to Bentley Bear, which is going back to TIA, because of the indefinite delay of XM

SOFTCELL.BIN

I've posted new binary's. The .bin will detect PAL or NTSC hardware and adjust accordingly. There will be a single cart that will work with both system. I still posted PAL and NTSC specific .a78 files. The header needs to specify the video system for the emulator to work correctly. I still need to tweak the PAL colors. Does anyone know how to convert NTSC colors to PAL on the 7800?

I've made a major change to the 1st screen. Kong can now throw the blue barrels as in the arcade. I didn't change the graphic for the barrel because I couldn't come up with something that looks good with the low resolution available. I welcome the help if someone want to put together some new graphics for the barrels. On the cement screen, I've fixed the ladder code so it will pull Mario down if he isn't at the top when the ladder starts to move. The middle conveyor direction is now dependent on Marios vertical position, same as the arcade version.

TEP392

I played this on the emulator. Looks good. That first screen -- I remember on the Atari 800 version and I believe the arcade version, you can jump to the far right off screen and bounce back onto the screen. I remember being able to do this on a couple of screens. I was not able to do it on this version.

I've posted new binary's. The .bin will detect PAL or NTSC hardware and adjust accordingly. There will be a single cart that will work with both system. I still posted PAL and NTSC specific .a78 files. The header needs to specify the video system for the emulator to work correctly. I still need to tweak the PAL colors. Does anyone know how to convert NTSC colors to PAL on the 7800?

I've made a major change to the 1st screen. Kong can now throw the blue barrels as in the arcade. I didn't change the graphic for the barrel because I couldn't come up with something that looks good with the low resolution available. I welcome the help if someone want to put together some new graphics for the barrels. On the cement screen, I've fixed the ladder code so it will pull Mario down if he isn't at the top when the ladder starts to move. The middle conveyor direction is now dependent on Marios vertical position, same as the arcade version.

TEP392

the new bin does not work anymore on real hardware, black screen