IGNORED

TI Related -- Ebay / Heads Up Notice

Omega-TI

14 minutes ago, HOME AUTOMATION said:

I think that I've figured out where the missing keys went...

s-l300.webp.d2f78e3fc3f1b698e35ee486dedae79e.webp

Touch sensitive keys?😃

s-l300.webp.c82188eae29bea93d8d540c902f52411.webp

Color coded!

s-l300.webp.a78c5fd6813da66fd6919c0bc0d539d4.webp

looks like the seller knows what a TI-99/4 goes for...

s-l300.webp.6f71b66a7dedda2d97fc5228f68a8358.webp

$499.99

I linked the above images to their respective auctions.

Neat mixture of keys... Not too bad price for a /4... I never seen these auctions before as they are hidden from view to us Canadians... You Americans get so many more and better auctions.. I need to setup a alt. ebay account with usa vpn and address, just so i can browse everything.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

I have never been successful doing that...

s-l300.webp.a1595c0c26ab41b7f204dc66e63260a3.webp

Linked to auction.

I opened the linked image(to test the link before posting) in a new window, instead of in a new tab. So, you don't see the new page open or close.:roll:

Edited by HOME AUTOMATION
...added video content
  • Like 1

On 4/3/2024 at 7:43 AM, Gary from OPA said:

Let us know what you find. Never know might be something useful on those disks.

They've arrived. Only had a quick glance thru so far but I don't think there's anything special (half the disks have a printed disk catalog of what's on them, the other half just have an alphanumeric number on them like "675B" no idea yet what that's all about). Of the labeled ones there's quite a few with TI music on them, maybe MusicMaker files?

Will try and look thru them in more detail and then post a summary 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 4/13/2024 at 3:03 PM, dhe said:

This VVV saddens me, I think we all remember the 90s when occasionally something would be bid high - because two or so determined bidders went at it.

Now, I see LOTS of profit taking in retro auctions, even auctions that start at impossible numbers, hoping someone will bite.

Sad Times.

image.thumb.png.857de6cf3a45a4ae46b3b13178953323.png

BITD many of us were bidding because we wanted it for a couple of reasons:

1) Buyer: Functionality purposes (i.e. we really didn't want something that was lesser functionality - we wanted something that worked, or offered something "value added" - like a new peripheral, a new game to play, an add-in card, better graphics, etc.)  We usually didn't bid on lesser functionality (i.e. the older game, the older graphics card, etc.)

2) Buyer: We didn't have it and wanted to play or experience it for fun, or help someone fix it.

3) Seller: I want someone who will honestly give this a good home and will respect and love it.*

4) Preservationist/Repair:  I want to preserve/dump/document/repair/understand it to make sure that other people can understand it and/or fix theirs should they need.

Now, it seems to be more of:

1) Buyer: Pokemon - gotta have it all, no matter what it is.  I don't care if it works or not or how crappy it is.  The older model?  Yep, gotta have it, I don't care that it doesn't support bitmap mode.  I'm never gonna play it, but I've got this one of a kind prototype!

2) Buyer: Bragging rights, collections, stuff that will never again see the lights of day.  People that want unopened copies of every piece of software/hardware ever to sit in a basement and never be used and/or played with.  Accumulator.

3) Seller motivated: Make $$$ by offering it for a huge price, including rusted out pieces of crap that I see quite frequently (like that Triton system)*

4) Preservationist/Repair:  I want to preserve/dump/document/repair/understand it to make sure that other people can understand it and/or fix theirs should they need.

Granted, this is a generalization, and not applicable to all.  There are all sorts of buyers and sellers out there; and I'm sure there are many buyers who are still looking for functionality purposes and want to fix stuff, or want to find homes for stuff, but it has very much drifted toward what I wrote at the bottom.  The preservationist/repair category has persisted throughout, though.  (I've been one of those for a long time, call me an odd duck....)  I'll document, fix, and preserve whatever we need to as I get time. (that's the limiting factor)

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, acadiel said:

2) Buyer: Bragging rights, collections, stuff that will never again see the lights of day.  People that want unopened copies of every piece of software/hardware ever to sit in a basement and never be used and/or played with.  Accumulator.

I caught the bug recently.  Up until now, the only "collection" I would say I have is all eight of the Parker Brothers cartridge releases of Frogger, complete in the box.  I have expanded that with a direct-to-TV unit, a mini-arcade, the Coleco table-top arcade, and a boxed copy for the Sega Genesis.

But, for some reason, I have been bitten to try to gather up the variations of labels for a bunch of the cartridges I have, and balancing price versus need (some of the ones I want are being flogged on eBay for $12 plus $5 shipping... really not that enticing for what would otherwise be common carts.)

44 minutes ago, acadiel said:

3) Seller motivated: Make $$$ by offering it for a huge price, including rusted out pieces of crap that I see quite frequently (like that Triton system)*

To be fair, Biff did accept a lower offer than the $199 he was asking, and it went into the hands of someone who falls under your #4.

I have no qualms with your generalized assessments.  They could be a thesis on the retro or classic market as it exists today and existed before.

• Like 2

Will try and keep this summary brief!

The 40 disks with just numbers on them (e.g. 588B) all have a volume name of (in this example) "USERGROP588B"

The others:

S.T.A.R. Chicago User Group

C-Editor + Games

Cables - How to make cable connections for T.I. / Geneve CONNI D.O.M 0691

Latin Tutor

Editor/Assembler & Loader

A few disks labelled "Education" that have volumes like "EDUC/XB01"

A few disks for use with Adventure module (by the looks of it)

NEWDISK Free 37 (looks like some kind of games)

MUSIC/UT1 Free 273 (music utilities)

Lucy Langs Legal Lottery Licker York Area 99er's group

The Wit series from York area

FFFFFFFF from York Area

A bunch of music disks (for, or made by, Music Maker - Don't know as I've never used MM. One just labelled Woodstock)

Mini-memory Hoosier User Group

7 labelled GK modules (utilities and a few game modules, but mainly the education modules)

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, OLD CS1 said:

It looks like some of the on-line pricing guides now list TI cartridges and parts, and some sellers are not budging on the prices of commons.

Yeah I just seen a TI Invaders listed as RARE and at $68 CAD ... Crazy world we getting into, soon we will see TI cartridges that still have their manual and cardboard sleeve sealed in a plastic box with a quality grade from that auction house rating group like all the other systems... Only saving grace is the majority of cartridges out there are bare with no manual or box, so they are basically worthless to the rating game and collectors.

9 minutes ago, Gary from OPA said:

TI cartridges that still have their manual and cardboard sleeve sealed in a plastic box with a quality grade from that auction house rating group

https://www.pricecharting.com/game/ti-99/ti-invaders?q=ti+invaders#completed-auctions-used

Yeah... WATA ratings...

12 minutes ago, Gary from OPA said:

Only saving grace is the majority of cartridges out there are bare with no manual or box, so they are basically worthless to the rating game and collectors.

Yet people still think they are sitting on gold.  I picked up a stash of about dozen TI Invaders carts a while back for right around $1 each, including shipping.  I complained about this kind of stuff over the past few decades, watching people post Atari 2600 carts of Pac-Man and such as R@RE!! LQQK!!!  Now I just sound like a corrupted MP3.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Gary from OPA said:

Crazy world we getting into, soon we will see TI cartridges that still have their manual and cardboard sleeve sealed in a plastic box with a quality grade from that auction house rating group like all the other systems... Only saving grace is the majority of cartridges out there are bare with no manual or box, so they are basically worthless to the rating game and collectors.

I’ve got a near mint sealed Atari Centipede for the 99, which I got for free, maybe I should get it rated and put it on eBay for $2k? 🤣

If I hadn’t already had centipede I’d of ripped the plastic off as soon as it arrived as stuff is meant to be used imho

• Like 3