IGNORED

TI Related -- Ebay / Heads Up Notice

Omega-TI

I have had a CorComp Floppy Controller for quite some time and have never had an issue with it. Personally, it is my favorite FDC of all the brands and has always been very reliable. I would also be curious as to the nature of what problems you have heard that they have on a regular basis as I have not experienced any issues but like to keep up on any information relating to these cards.

Thanks

Edited by CudaSales

I was not the only one who thought this card was too expensive, as it ended with ZERO bids. For sure it would have been nice to own, but this card is old and was listed AS-IS and recently UNTESTED, so I could not justify the gamble. I also remember reading messages about people having CorComp cards that have started to fail, so I had pass.

I'm no longer going to mention RTC's as is apparently annoys some people when I do.

I would caution you on reading too much into messages about any cards "starting to fail".

Of the few hundred cards I have repaired over the years, very few have just started to fail on their own. Some problems were related to failed regulators due to lack of heat-sinks or poor utility power. Many problems were related to people improper handling the cards - i.e., removing cards from the PEB too soon, zapping the cards with static electricity, rocking the cards in the PEB, inserting a card with the PEB on, etc. And some, particularly the Horizon RAMdisks, are prone to single-wipe, corroded sockets.

And while people have both affectionately and maliciously referred to CorComp as "CorCrap" over the years, they are stable cards with good features and track records. Myarc got (and gets) its share of bashing for heat-related problems and some software incompatibilities but overall, like CorComp, the cards are well-made and rock-solid. Even the EPROM DSR (software) is well-tested and essentially bug-free, which is quite an amazing feat.

Does the triple tech in the auction work? It's always gamble when someone offers an untested card.

• Like 1

I was not the only one who thought this card was too expensive, as it ended with ZERO bids. For sure it would have been nice to own, but this card is old and was listed AS-IS and recently UNTESTED, so I could not justify the gamble. I also remember reading messages about people having CorComp cards that have started to fail, so I had pass.

I'm no longer going to mention RTC's as is apparently annoys some people when I do.

"...Only selling to cover court costs of a custody fight to get my kids back to the only home they know. So know the money is going to a good cause...."

this is the sentence more important of all for the auction description... the price is not expensive at all ... I would have bought me instantly if I could afford it, it was a good opportunity for me to be able to have a duplicate of this card.

post-24673-0-98535600-1404505378_thumb.jpg post-24673-0-64598000-1404505382_thumb.jpg

Does the triple tech in the auction work? It's always gamble when someone offers an untested card.

Unknown if it works. I sent the seller a message with what I thought was a reasonable offer, but also I stipulated that IF the card does not work, I would be able send it back (postage on me). We'll see what happens.

Cool! Hopefully you will get it at a reasonable price and it works.

Wish you the Best of Luck :)

FYI... have him relist it with a Buy It Now for your agreed upon price(if he agrees to it) and have him list the return policy for your protection. This will make a big difference if you happen to have a PayPal dispute.

Edited by CudaSales

Cool! Hopefully you will get it at a reasonable price and it works.

Wish you the Best of Luck :)

FYI... have him relist it with a Buy It Now for your agreed upon price(if he agrees to it) and have him list the return policy for your protection. This will make a big difference if you happen to have a PayPal dispute.

THANKS! I'll let you know if it comes out positive.

Anyway it appears I've been overly cautious as InsaneMultitasker wrote,"I would caution you on reading too much into messages about any cards 'starting to fail'." To me InsaneMultitasker is a little like E.F. Hutton from the old ads..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MXqb1a3Apg

... when he talks, I listen! :)

Thanks for the notification. The perfect gift for myself - owner of a PEB without any floppy drives. :)

Yeah, buying a TI is kinda like buying a car piecemeal.

You buy a car and the salesman says, "Here's your brand new car! You've made an excellent choice! Now, if you want to actually drive it off the lot, maybe I can interest you in an engine for it? And maybe a gas tank to go with that? It comes with pedals as Standard Equipment, but most people find that an Internal Combustion Engine Upgrade is very helpful. (Ignition Module and Fuel Delivery Module are Optional Accessories which are required to use the Optional Internal Combustion Engine Upgrade) Oh, and don't forget to buy a steering wheel unless you brought along some Vice grips!" :-D

-Ed

Edited by Ed in SoDak
  • Like 2

Yeah, buying a TI is kinda like buying a car piecemeal.

You buy a car and the salesman says, "Here's your brand new car! You've made an excellent choice! Now, if you want to actually drive it off the lot, maybe I can interest you in an engine for it? And maybe a gas tank to go with that? It comes with pedals as Standard Equipment, but most people find that an Internal Combustion Engine Upgrade is very helpful. (Ignition Module and Fuel Delivery Module are Optional Accessories which are required to use the Optional Internal Combustion Engine Upgrade) Oh, and don't forget to buy a steering wheel unless you brought along some Vice grips!" :-D

-Ed

Hahaha so true. Hmm... reminds me of long ago when I had to order servers and other equipment from IBM. I absolutely loathed the "Which non-optional option do you want to choose from this list of 5,000?" And woe to you if you ordered the wrong adapter for part A because it only fit with parts B,C, E and not D, then tried to explain why your project would be 4 weeks behind because you spent 2 weeks reading IBM literature and STILL got the wrong part. Argghhh.

To me, this is what makes creations like the nanoPEB so neat. Disk? Check. memory? check. Serial Port? check (if you get the righ version). The quality control seems to be a bit off, but the creator does a pretty good job of working with the customers to make things right.

• Like 1

P.S. I've love to see a PDF made of that pristine manual!

To do that with the equipment I have the manual will no longer be pristine (I would have to break it apart into its component pages.) But, I think it is a worthy sacrifice. I will work on that this weekend.

Before I opened it today I was asked what I planned to do with it. I said, "use it! And anyone who collects these will be happy I did." :)

Oh, and notice the illustration on the manual cover does not match the PEB model.

• Like 1

Oh, and notice the illustration on the manual cover does not match the PEB model.

You're right! The older model is the one shown. I always liked the look your model better. I plan to swap stuff over to my newer model box in the future as well, just for aesthetic reasons and the lower slots. The only thing I don't like about the newer model is the lack of a fuse holder on the back... that and the fact that I have to put a new quiet fan in that one too.

I know your unit is brand new and doing surgery on it is probably not high on your list, but I highly recommend removing that LOUD stock fan and replacing it with a whisper quiet model. Trust me, it makes a HUGE difference!

gallery_35324_1064_13804.jpg

I have heard about this, but I really am not bothered by the fan. In particular since the PEB now sits on a rack with a whining 18GB SCSI drive, a server with a less-than-quiet fan, a workstation with multiple not-so-quiet fans, and a network firewall which also has a fan -- the PEB may be less noisy than everything else!

In any case, I will leave this unit "factory" for a while. I am working on replacing the PEB PSU with an ATX or custom switching PSU and I will be using my other unit(s) as guinea pigs. I already have one each the older 99/4 push-button and TI rocker-switch models before this new one. I will eventually give up one (or both) of my older ones.

My biggest dilemma regarding this new box is I want to move my half-height 5.25" floppy and hard drive over. However, the mounting holes do not accommodate two half-height devices so I would have to drill new holes. I cannot bear the thought of defiling this beauty.

(Oh, and yeah, I hate that stupid fuse thing, too. And check the post number... whooooooOOOooOOoOOO!!)

• Like 1

However, the mounting holes do not accommodate two half-height devices so I would have to drill new holes. I cannot bear the thought of defiling this beauty.

I don't blame you! Contact Dano and ask about one of his drive kits. The holes are already matched up on the included mounting plate, so you will not have to hack up your new PEB.

$_57.JPG

Picking up two of those mounting brackets from our friend !dano!. Thanks for the nudge.

And check out this ugly bugger. Looks like it is a TI interface for a printer with proprietary interface. Reminds me of the Commodore MPS-1200 and MPS-1250, each of which had a special interface cartridge which offered either standard CBM serial or Centronics parallel.

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1713842265571?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=171384226557&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Another chance to pick up a real TI dot matrix printer (not a bad price, I think): eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2911891023791?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=291189102379&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

And truly the worst joysticks ever made (worse, IMHO, than the TI, Atari 5200, and Atari 7800): eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2911891021521?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=291189102152&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

(Of course, one doesn't work properly.)

Another chance to pick up a real TI dot matrix printer (not a bad price, I think): eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2911891023791?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=291189102379&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

And truly the worst joysticks ever made (worse, IMHO, than the TI, Atari 5200, and Atari 7800): eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2911891023791?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=291189102379&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

(Of course, one doesn't work properly.)

Saw the printer, almost went for it... then I saw the price of the shipping.

$_57.JPG

BTW -- Did you know you posted the printer link twice, instead of the crappy joysticks?

Saw the printer, almost went for it... then I saw the price of the shipping.

Eh, as long as it gets packed properly, $20 seems fine to me. Hell, just shipping FedEx or UPS within my same city is $9 to $12. (Edit: I am more concerned about the "as-is" bit, though he says he will accept a return.)

BTW -- Did you know you posted the printer link twice, instead of the crappy joysticks?

See, and THEY told me I could slip shit past you on a Saturday!

• Like 1

This is interesting:

Corcomp TripleTech: How do you hook up a printer to the print buffer on the Triple Tech card?

Very easy. There is a patch cable that comes with the Triple Tech card. The cable goes between the Triple Tech and the PIO port on your RS232 card/device. Your printer then plugs into your Triple Tech thus putting the card in the middle to perform buffering: RS232/PIO ---> Triple Tech ---> Printer

Source: ninerpedia.org

I guess there is no way to access that buffer? There are some interesting things which could be done with this. The source does not necessarily need to be a TI, it could be anything that communicates via standard uni-directional parallel communications. So this could be used as a buffer for multiple machines using a parallel switch box.

Eh, as long as it gets packed properly, $20 seems fine to me. Hell, just shipping FedEx or UPS within my same city is $9 to $12. (Edit: I am more concerned about the "as-is" bit, though he says he will accept a return.)

See, and THEY told me I could slip shit past you on a Saturday!

It say's $29.94 to my address, which would bring the cost up to just shy of $70.00, besides, I bought this one a few months ago and have not even tested it yet. I used to have a TI Impact printer (Epson MX-80) back in the day, the lack of friction feed was a pain, but the ribbons were dirt cheap.

gallery_35324_1027_1795187.jpg