IGNORED

The Official NEO-GEO Thread!

Hi guys,

This afternoon we are with Inglebard Gaming. Here we see him present a video discussing about the 11 Fact About the Neo-Geo that we didn't know. Interesting. Let's find out what they are. :)

From the description,

"Want to know some facts about the Neo Geo? How about 11 of them because I'm funny like that? Well here you go! For best results view at 1080p60fps. Find out some information on the Neo Geo including a few odds and ends I haven't seen in other videos that cover the console. "

Anthony..

Ok. So I have played NEO-GEO emulators recently and just love the games. I would like to buy actual hardware but consoles And games are insane expensive!

What are my options...I would like to spend below £400.

AES modded with sd card, NEO-GEO X gold limited edition, NEO-GEO CD and burn discs. Or the much cheaper option, the NEO-GEO mini to play on an HDTV? 🤔

• Like 1

Hey Everyone,

I am looking for a talented programmer to help me bring my new Neo-Geo game, Confection Perfection: Pastry Pete, to life on the Neo-Geo

The sprite work and music is done, but the backgrounds are a work in process.

IMG_8657.thumb.jpeg.961aaabc81071d965b99cbfb7aa2fe73.jpeg

CPPastryPete_Walking_Original.gif.4d6a21cf6e5d2bf598952418215b3115.gif

Pastry Pete

CPSourPuss_Walk_Original.gif.3912d10771568c656c1933b189d4fc01.gif

Sour Puss

@Charlie Cat, maybe you can grab and post the music I sent you some time ago; I had trouble taking them from the PM.

Pastry Pete is a 2D platformer. The player must pick up all the goodies, while jumping over the evil veggies and killing them with a rolling pin.

The highest score wins! 

Some levels are like Pac-Man, where Pastry Pete eats long lines of chocolate cookies. He eats gooey chocolate chip cookie dough balls to frighten enemies away for a short time. The player must eat all of these cookies to complete the level.

Other levels see Pete picking up cakes and pastries before the veggies can defeat him.

The boss is a giant Egg Plant that is determined to stop the player!

IMG_8658.jpeg.f1f36439e7873f05cddb5610de36020e.jpeg

The game has been in development for 2 years. So again, I am asking for help from the Neo-Geo community.

Let’s do this!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shane857 said:

Ok. So I have played NEO-GEO emulators recently and just love the games. I would like to buy actual hardware but consoles And games are insane expensive!

AES modded with sd card, NEO-GEO X gold limited edition, NEO-GEO CD and burn discs. Or the much cheaper option, the NEO-GEO mini to play on an HDTV? 🤔

If you want real hardware the best option would probably be a MVS, you can build one for less than 100U$ and if you don't have the skills a pre built system starts at 150U$, the CD could be worth it if you can find one. If you are fine with emulation then either the Neo Geo Mini or the Arcade Stick Pro are the cheapest options, the X has been getting more expensive recently and the emulation isn't that good. Games for the MVS are overall cheaper and SD Card options are very expensive, multi carts are more fairly priced for either system.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, shane857 said:

Hi Shane,

Welcome aboard the Neo-Geo thread. Glad to have you on with us and will be glad to help you answer your inquiries. :)

First, were glad that you're enjoying the wonderful games that the Neo-Geo has to offer. They will certainly keep you busy with full of memorable moments and making you want to replay them again and again. I know I certainly do. :)

As for purchasing original hardware based off your budget, sure we can assist you with suggestions that will be to your benefit. @M-S said it best, you can purchase a 1 slot MVS board for cheap and do it yourself. Or you can ask for service done by a veteran in the field and the cost will start base on your preference of gaming. The cheapest i've seen is like around $65 Dollars just the board. As for a modded consolized MVS I've seen them off AliExpress for $160-$180 to start off with the bare basics. 

The Neo Geo AES is another great option with the Unibios 4.0 chip installed and you can by a multicart, a NeoSD or SD Pro, Darksoft's Multicart, a converter. you name it. Prices for a modded unit will be over budget unless you can do it yourself. But you can buy a 161 n 1 cart for it for cheap and you can even be added to a list to buy one using that cartridge to have all the Neo-Geo games into it off the arcade-projects.com forums. A gentleman by the name of rewrite is making a list for those that want one.

Now there's the Neo Geo CD. Personally, I would go that route first because that's how I started by Neo-Geo endeavors. I have a few top and front loaders in the collection as well as a CDZ unit. With the SD Loader, you can speed up the loading times much faster as a modification done to them. That add on will cost more than your budget of £400 Pounds while searching for one off Ebay already assembled into a unit, but that SD Loader is REALLY well worth it to have and it would be money well spend for sure in the long run. 

The Neo-Geo Mini is the most inexpensive out of them all if you want an SNK product.. Plus by hacking the console and you certainly have all the Neo-Geo titles onto your unit and play off of it or play on the television set. You can modify your Neo Geo Mini controllers as well and have a clicky feel. Or purchase a 8bitdo Controller that's compatible for the Neo-Geo Mini. Even better.  

Hope this helps you with your questions Shane. If you have anymore, please feel free to let us know. Were here to help you. :)

Anthony..

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ColecoGamer said:

Hi Mike,

Glad to see you here mentioning of your upcoming title Confection Perfection: Pastry Pete  for the Neo-Geo. I do have a few in mind that can be a good lead for programming for your game. Try @Steril707 @ShadowGangs @Gecko1993 @drludos and our pal @SlidellMan. Always in the mood to support our members first. @Songbird when we had discussions is also interested on making a Neo-Geo title down the line as well. Maybe they can assist you as well.   If you want off Twitter/X NeoHomeBrew ( Mike) and Dante reo dev. 

Here's the links to see them brother man. 

https://twitter.com/dantemendes

https://twitter.com/NeoHomeBrew

@ShadowGangs Twitter/X page. https://twitter.com/ShadowGangs

Hope this helps Mike. :)

Anthony...

• Thanks 1

Hi guys,

【月末キャラ】 月末キャラクター、発ッ表ォ~! 3月の月末キャラクター正解は:「ヴァネッサXIV Ver」 当選のプレイヤー様は: お三方には600ダイヤをプレゼントします!おめでとうございます!! #KOF98UMOL #KOF #ヴァネッサ
Translated from Japanese by
[Month-end character] The end of the month character has been announced! The correct answer for the character at the end of March is: “Vanessa XIV Ver.” The winning players are: We will give 600 diamonds to each of you! congratulations! ! #KOF98UMOL #KOF #ヴァネッサ
Was this translation accurate? Give us feedback so we can improve:

Anthony..

Hi guys,

【月末キャラ】 通常攻撃をメインウェポンとする攻撃型格闘家「ヴァネッサXIV Ver」登場!自動的に展開される領域で味方全体をバフし、敵に特殊なデバフを付与するぞ! #KOF98UMOL #KOF #ヴァネッサ
[Month-end character] “Vanessa XIV Ver”, an offensive fighter whose main weapon is normal attacks, is here! Buff all allies in an automatically expanded area and apply special debuffs to enemies! #KOF98UMOL #KOF #ヴァネッサ

GJ0qlSDbQAAkZ3R?format=jpg&name=small

Anthony..

Hi guys,

毎月当たるSNK公式SNSフォロー&リポストキャンペーンを開催! 抽選で10名様に #Amazonギフト券 (500円分)をプレゼント! ①このアカウントをフォロー ②この投稿をリポスト でs募完了! キャンペーンは4/30(火)まで! #SNK #KOF15 #KOFXV #プレゼント
SNK official SNS follow & repost campaign will be held every month! We will give away #Amazonギフト券 (500 yen worth) to 10 people by lottery! ① Follow this account ② Complete your application by reposting this post! Campaign ends on April 30th (Tuesday)! #SNK #KOF15 #KOFXV #プレゼント

GJuU0S_bkAAc4WR?format=jpg&name=small

Anthony..

Hope you all had a Happy Easter!

To belatedly celebrate the historical anniversary of this great thread, I have a video review of FATAL FURY in my top 20 arcade games from 1991 list.  Loved this in the arcades, and this game was the first title I'd actually seen in a NEO GEO arcade machine (a year after the cabinet's release).  I had just moved back to Portland after about 5 years in Auburn/Federal Way, WA and I saw this at the department store I'd get employed at.  I don't recall if it had a 2nd game on its cabinet, but they later put MUTATION NATION on it with FF.  I still really enjoy this one, though FF2, FF Special and Real Bout FF Special I prefer much more.

• Thanks 2

18 hours ago, Charlie Cat said:

Oh wow! This looks great CrossBow. What excellent work you done and the pics sho for themselves. Great work station you have and shane you gave to the NGCD system.  Thinking of doing video game repair uploads on YouTube or offering a service to have consoles to be repaired? I would follow you and I have a few consoles that are in need of work to be playable again. 

Anthony..

Thanks for the compliment! I only bought this NGCD about a year ago as a loose console from Yahoo Auctions JPN. It was bought as I thought I was going to need a spare to fix another one that had been sent to me. But I was able to find a bad trace on that original that was to blame for the CD not working and so I ended up with this one just sitting around. So over this past summer I bought a replacement power supply and one of the larger joystick controllers for it along with the SDLoader. Originally I had only done the SDload and the battery as those were the quick things to get done now to make it more usable. But as I had some spare time over this past holiday weekend, I thought I would finally get around to recapping it.

And yes, I do offer console repair services along with a YouTube channel where I show my process for some of the repairs and upgrades I do on consoles. I operate under the business name of Ivory Tower Collections.

This is only the 2nd Neo-Geo CD I've worked on as honestly, most of the CD based systems are above my skill set to work on along with those that are mostly just surface mount stuff throughout. 

• Like 1

I turned on my Neo Geo CD last night to record some gaming footage, and the CD drive is going bad.

It makes a machine gun sound when I first turn it on. Ironically, the system still powers on and the games boot from the Dashboard.

I suspect the CD drive is not long for this world. If replacement parts weren’t so expensive, I would buy a drive replacement. Console prices have dropped, though, so I might buy the double-speed unit as a replacement instead.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Charlie Cat said:

Hi Shane,

Welcome aboard the Neo-Geo thread. Glad to have you on with us and will be glad to help you answer your inquiries. :)

First, were glad that you're enjoying the wonderful games that the Neo-Geo has to offer. They will certainly keep you busy with full of memorable moments and making you want to replay them again and again. I know I certainly do. :)

As for purchasing original hardware based off your budget, sure we can assist you with suggestions that will be to your benefit. @M-S said it best, you can purchase a 1 slot MVS board for cheap and do it yourself. Or you can ask for service done by a veteran in the field and the cost will start base on your preference of gaming. The cheapest i've seen is like around $65 Dollars just the board. As for a modded consolized MVS I've seen them off AliExpress for $160-$180 to start off with the bare basics. 

The Neo Geo AES is another great option with the Unibios 4.0 chip installed and you can by a multicart, a NeoSD or SD Pro, Darksoft's Multicart, a converter. you name it. Prices for a modded unit will be over budget unless you can do it yourself. But you can buy a 161 n 1 cart for it for cheap and you can even be added to a list to buy one using that cartridge to have all the Neo-Geo games into it off the arcade-projects.com forums. A gentleman by the name of rewrite is making a list for those that want one.

Now there's the Neo Geo CD. Personally, I would go that route first because that's how I started by Neo-Geo endeavors. I have a few top and front loaders in the collection as well as a CDZ unit. With the SD Loader, you can speed up the loading times much faster as a modification done to them. That add on will cost more than your budget of £400 Pounds while searching for one off Ebay already assembled into a unit, but that SD Loader is REALLY well worth it to have and it would be money well spend for sure in the long run. 

The Neo-Geo Mini is the most inexpensive out of them all if you want an SNK product.. Plus by hacking the console and you certainly have all the Neo-Geo titles onto your unit and play off of it or play on the television set. You can modify your Neo Geo Mini controllers as well and have a clicky feel. Or purchase a 8bitdo Controller that's compatible for the Neo-Geo Mini. Even better.  

Hope this helps you with your questions Shane. If you have anymore, please feel free to let us know. Were here to help you. :)

Anthony..

Thanks for the info guys. Kind of leaning more to purchasing a NEO-GEO CD console as it's a lot cheaper than an SD loader modified one. Also the majority of CD games are affordable, and I don't mind waiting for games to take a little longer to load.

I'm a patient man... lol

• Like 2

4 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

You're welcome Crossbow. A pleasure to show our support and helping a fellow AtariAge member out. Great posting on reading more about your NGCD unit. I enjoy seeing content like this seeing it motivates me and the others to do what you offer for other to tinker with units to make them playable again.

Excellent to know that you have a YouTube channel. I'll stop by latter to subscribe and make a comment and have a look at your uploads that you share for others to view. Thank you for posing with us Crossbow. Were glad to have you aboard with us. :)

Anthony..

1 hour ago, shane857 said:

Thanks for the info guys. Kind of leaning more to purchasing a NEO-GEO CD console as it's a lot cheaper than an SD loader modified one. Also the majority of CD games are affordable, and I don't mind waiting for games to take a little longer to load.

I'm a patient man... lol

You're welcome Shane. Glad we can help and forward you in the right direction. The SD loader will be really to your advantage and offers more than just speed time for sure bro.  Say, I have a person in mind that can make you a great deal for a Neo Geo CD unit. I'll be glad to message you about it bro. :)

Anthony...

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Charlie Cat said:

You're welcome Shane. Glad we can help and forward you in the right direction. The SD loader will be really to your advantage and offers more than just speed time for sure bro.  Say, I have a person in mind that can make you a great deal for a Neo Geo CD unit. I'll be glad to message you about it bro. :)

Anthony...

I am a player and a collector. Love physical media over digital/roms. How reliable is the NEO-GEO CD drive? I know it reads slower than the CDZ console. 🤔 I would prefer to actually buy physical discs rather than add roms. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, shane857 said:

I am a player and a collector. Love physical media over digital/roms. How reliable is the NEO-GEO CD drive? I know it reads slower than the CDZ console. 🤔 I would prefer to actually buy physical discs rather than add roms. 

The CDZ has a double-speed CD-Rom drive, which makes it the better system of choice. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, shane857 said:

That is the nice thing about the SDLoader for the Neo-Geo CD. It doesn't require you to remove the CD unit and it doesn't disable it. What happens is that the NGCD starts up with a different loader screen as the SDLoader takes over the BIOS. So you always start off in the SDLoader menu. But you just press a button on the controller to reboot into CD mode. From there, you will see the CD Player screen. Pop in an actual NGCD game, and after reading it for a bit, it will come up and tell you to press Start to begin the game. Most ODE solutions don't normally allow this but it is starting to get more and more traction. Examples are the Satiator and newer versions of the Fenrir ODE for the Saturn that still allow you to keep and use the original optical drive to read your actual games.

And while the NGCD SD Loader isn't cheap... it isn't that badly priced when you consider all the options it adds (Region & cheats) while still allowing use of the of the original optical drive. And, it isn't that bad of an install either. Trickiest parts are the BIOS wiring, reforming the SD reader PCB to fit and attach right, and getting the ribbon cables inserted while putting it all back together. I really wish they had made the cable just a little bit longer to make that easier.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

That is the nice thing about the SDLoader for the Neo-Geo CD. It doesn't require you to remove the CD unit and it doesn't disable it. What happens is that the NGCD starts up with a different loader screen as the SDLoader takes over the BIOS. So you always start off in the SDLoader menu. But you just press a button on the controller to reboot into CD mode. From there, you will see the CD Player screen. Pop in an actual NGCD game, and after reading it for a bit, it will come up and tell you to press Start to begin the game. Most ODE solutions don't normally allow this but it is starting to get more and more traction. Examples are the Satiator and newer versions of the Fenrir ODE for the Saturn that still allow you to keep and use the original optical drive to read your actual games.

And while the NGCD SD Loader isn't cheap... it isn't that badly priced when you consider all the options it adds (Region & cheats) while still allowing use of the of the original optical drive. And, it isn't that bad of an install either. Trickiest parts are the BIOS wiring, reforming the SD reader PCB to fit and attach right, and getting the ribbon cables inserted while putting it all back together. I really wish they had made the cable just a little bit longer to make that easier.

Ok thanks for that. The only one available in the UK at the mo is one where the CD drive is disabled.

2 minutes ago, shane857 said:

Ok thanks for that. The only one available in the UK at the mo is one where the CD drive is disabled.

This is the same one I have in mine only I bought mine from a US distro of course. But this is Furrtek's design that allows use of the CD Drive still. Unless you have a CDZ model?

https://rexusnexus.com/product/neo-geo-cd-sd-loader-by-furrtek/

• Thanks 1