IGNORED

The Official NEO-GEO Thread!

20 hours ago, shane857 said:

I have only tried switching regions with the console off(and that is what I will always do). Seems safer to me, and yes the region switch works perfectly. 👍

You’re smart to turn off the system before using the switch. While the NGCD is a hardy unit, it’s prone to failure due to surges. I speak from experience, sadly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Games top of my list at the moment to get are...Magician Lord, Metal Slug 1 and 2, Andro Dunos and Ironclad.

The only physical/original I am probably ever to afford thou are Magician Lord and Andro Dunos. Seen Magician Lord for a few hundred.

Metal Slug about £1000 gpb, Metal Slug 2 £600 and Andro Dunos £170. Ironclad is in the £1000's! Probably a lot cheaper to buy these from Japan thou...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, shane857 said:

Games top of my list at the moment to get are...Magician Lord, Metal Slug 1 and 2, Andro Dunos and Ironclad.

The only physical/original I am probably ever to afford thou are Magician Lord and Andro Dunos. Seen Magician Lord for a few hundred.

Metal Slug about £1000 gpb, Metal Slug 2 £600 and Andro Dunos £170. Ironclad is in the £1000's! Probably a lot cheaper to buy these from Japan thou...

Awesome to see your list of games you have in mind Shane. Yeah, Metal Slug 1 and 2 are outrageously high. But Magician Lord and Andro Dunos aren't too bad at the current market price. Out of the two, I say go for Magician Lord. That's my favorite game on the Neo-Geo in general. :) 

Anthony..

• Like 2

I just purchased Magician Lord (from a Japanese seller) for $159.99USD. US sellers want $500-$700! No thank you. I may be a Neo Geo gamer/collector, but stupid I am not. If you look hard enough, you’ll find what you want at a reasonable price.

I know; $160 doesn’t sound reasonable, but it’s quite good considering the pedigree of the game. It’s well worth the money.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, shane857 said:

The Japanese versions are always cheaper than the regional releases. Sad, but true. The Neo-Geo was (and still is) popular in Japan, and their games had larger releases too (hence the cheaper prices).

It’s common to walk into a Japanese game store and see Neo-Geo games for sale. Here in the States? No way. I once found World Heroes Jet at a Savers thrift store, and they thought it was an old cassette tape! Lol I kid you not! It was complete and I added it to my collection. It works too. I paid $40USD.

Edited by ColecoGamer
  • Like 3

Hi guys,

Demons of Asteborg Is Being Remade For GBA And Neo Geo

Update: A GBA demo is now available

by Damien McFerran  Thu, 5:30am

Demons of Asteborg Is Being Remade For GBA and Neo Geo 1

Update [Thu 4th Apr, 2024 10:30 BST]: Neofid Studios has just released a Game Boy Advance demo for Demons of Asteborg, so if you want to try it out before backing the physical version, now's your chance.

You can grab the demo now from itch.io, if you fancy giving it a go!

Demons of Asteborg DX will include "more power, more colours, more content, better difficulty balancing, and many bonuses compared to the original version," according to the game's IndieGoGo page.

"If you know Neofid Studios, you also know that we have distinguished ourselves so far with our developments for the Sega Megadrive/Genesis, which we have pushed to the limit of its capabilities," continues the description. "In order to overcome the technical limitations of the latter and to present an even more ambitious version of the game, we have decided this time to develop for two more powerful consoles: the Game Boy Advance and the Neo-Geo."

The plan is to complete the GBA version by June 2025, with the Neo Geo edition following in Christmas of the same year. "Since the GBA and Neo-Geo have very different hardware, the two versions cannot be entirely similar. Therefore, each of these experiences will be different from the other," explains the developer.

However, the wait will be worth it for SNK fans. "In addition to benefiting from the reworked graphics common to both new versions, the Neo-Geo version will display more details thanks to its higher resolution. Furthermore, it will feature a new two-player mode."

Neofid has also stated that it does not intend to make the ROM files of Demons of Asteborg DX available "for several reasons."

"As Retrogaming enthusiasts, the Neofid Studios team considers that packaging is almost as important as the game itself. Favoring a physical release only is also giving value to this collectible item," the studio says. "We found a page where DOA was illegally downloaded over 20,000 times, while on our side, we struggle to achieve financial balance. We now wish to ensure the sustainability of our company to continue offering you quality games, while valuing the product. We believe that players who know and appreciate the value of our work will agree with this. As such, the physical versions of the game will feature specific hardware that will work on all consoles offering true hardware compatibility."

Finally, the size of the game is another reason that a ROM cannot be released. "The Game Boy Advance supports default cartridges of up to 32MB maximum.

Like for the Megadrive version, it is possible that we exceed this size, in which case we will implement our bank-switching model, which, to our knowledge, is not emulatable to this day."

Two variants are available to order. "For this new edition, we offer two distinct packs: the Regular edition, which includes only the game and a small number of goodies, as well as the Collector's edition, which includes the game, goodies, a CD containing the OST of the game, an artbook, and a unique collector's box," reads the crowdfunding page.

The campaign has a funding goal of €80,000, but two stretch goals have been announced as well. "The initial goal of €80,000 will allow us to first redo all the scenery (Tilesets and Backgrounds) and music of DOA to take advantage of the capabilities of the GBA and the Neo-Geo," says Neofid. Should the campaign hit €90,000, additional difficulty settings will be added. €100,000 will unlock additional facial animation during dialogue sequences.

Anthony...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi guys,

Great video !

_c4HhDtZ_normal.jpgPyron@GabrielPyron
·
Apr 5
I just released a video testing the Demons of Asteborg DX demo from @DAsteborg at the end I made a brief comparison with the original The game has undergone several changes, and they are not just cosmetic https://youtu.be/1E6xfuDPVBU
Show more

From the description,

"The French developer Neofid Studios has announced that it is remaking its 2021 Mega Drive title Demons of Asteborg for the GBA and Neo Geo. Demons of Asteborg DX will include "more power, more colors, more content, better difficulty balancing, and many bonuses compared to the original version. In this video, I tested the demo and I made a comparison against the Mega Drive version to everyone see the upgrades made on the game.

Anthony...

• Like 3

Hi guys,

From our pal and AtariAge member @SpicedUp! from Neo Geo Forever. Please support fellow AtariAge member Eli @PikoInteractive in pre-ordering Knight's Chance for the Neo-Geo. Me and @ColecoGamer sure did. :)

Anthony..

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Charlie Cat said:

Hi guys,

From our pal and AtariAge member @SpicedUp! from Neo Geo Forever. Please support fellow AtariAge member Eli @PikoInteractive in pre-ordering Knight's Chance for the Neo-Geo. Me and @ColecoGamer sure did. :)

Anthony..

I wonder if this will have any releases for other systems in the future, such as Steam?  If so, I would gladly pick it up then for sure.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, ColecoGamer said:

It came in! My CDZ arrived 2 days early from Japan.

I can’t wait to play my games with faster loading times.

I plan on still fixing my broken unit. Maybe I’ll sell it cheap to someone who really wants a Neo-Geo.

Pair up the semi broken unit with an SDLoader and make your money back or a good portion of I at least? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Samurai spirits 2/Shodown arrived today and I absolutely love it!

Played great first couple times, then I had a disc read error. Switched the console off and tried the game again and the console would not detect the game! At first I thought ..oh no it's the laser. Turns out the lid on the NEO-GEO CD was not closing properly.

I put the disc in again and added some slight weight on top of the lid and it works perfectly. Anybody else ever experience these issues?🤔

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, shane857 said:

Samurai spirits 2/Shodown arrived today and I absolutely love it!

Played great first couple times, then I had a disc read error. Switched the console off and tried the game again and the console would not detect the game! At first I thought ..oh no it's the laser. Turns out the lid on the NEO-GEO CD was not closing properly.

I put the disc in again and added some slight weight on top of the lid and it works perfectly. Anybody else ever experience these issues?🤔

This happened to my original unit back in the 90s. if you lift the tray up, there’s a switch on the back of the system that tells it whether the door is closed or not. This switch is easy to fix; it’s a spring-based switch, if I remember correctly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, ColecoGamer said:

This happened to my original unit back in the 90s. if you lift the tray up, there’s a switch on the back of the system that tells it whether the door is closed or not. This switch is easy to fix; it’s a spring-based switch, if I remember correctly.

Maybe the spring then? the cogs seem to be fine. If I press on the front of the lid, sometimes it opens only slightly. Is it possible to lift the lid off the console safely? I don't really want to open the console up in case I do more damage. Alternatively...I could just leave it as it is and just add the extra weight on top. As long as it works and plays the games, I suppose that's all that matters...😂

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, shane857 said:

Maybe the spring then? the cogs seem to be fine. If I press on the front of the lid, sometimes it opens only slightly. Is it possible to lift the lid off the console safely? I don't really want to open the console up in case I do more damage. Alternatively...I could just leave it as it is and just add the extra weight on top. As long as it works and plays the games, I suppose that's all that matters...😂

If you don’t want to open the system, then just leave it the way it is with the added weight. You would have to open the system to reach the close mechanism.

Edited by ColecoGamer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I keep forgetting what a pain it is to replace the CD-Rom in a Top Loading Neo-Geo CD. The screws get smaller and smaller during the teardown, making it an arduous task. I had to take a break because the screws in the CD drive assembly are so frickin’ tight, I thought my wrists fell off. Lol

I’m going to finish the job in the morning. I need to give my wrists a break tonight. Lol

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ColecoGamer said:

Alright!! Glad that it did Mike. Hope it will give you many years of enjoyment bro. :)

I think I had someone tell me that many years ago with those tiny screws Mike. The more you go into the unit, the smaller they become, the more they became a nuisance. SNK really made them so tight that one person had to use two hands while some one twisted the unit around just to loosen them. 😲

Anthony.. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Charlie Cat said:

Alright!! Glad that it did Mike. Hope it will give you many years of enjoyment bro. :)

I think I had someone tell me that many years ago with those tiny screws Mike. The more you go into the unit, the smaller they become, the more they became a nuisance. SNK really made them so tight that one person had to use two hands while some one twisted the unit around just to loosen them. 😲

Anthony.. 

Really??! Oh man, I’m in trouble then! Lol

I’ll need the incredible Hulk to take the screws out!

Hey, it’s Neo CDZ time!!

IMG_8708.thumb.jpeg.beac0690084b752aaec384a0f3af68ee.jpegIMG_8709.thumb.jpeg.e9a7e563b18b914cb2c71977a5b49754.jpegIMG_8710.thumb.jpeg.1b17b758cf6fac4cf52b55ccadfc25c7.jpegIMG_8709.thumb.jpeg.e9a7e563b18b914cb2c71977a5b49754.jpegIMG_8711.thumb.jpeg.21d2c2c477dcf895f23a2a66f8b79e84.jpegIMG_8712.thumb.jpeg.58d22c30dc3fd493150c78880d549050.jpegIMG_8713.thumb.jpeg.5987288b2fda61c1627de950213fdd80.jpegIMG_8714.thumb.jpeg.339f22af38171807de81e2fa2d20e09b.jpegIMG_8715.thumb.jpeg.3f85281249b56804b0b585701766bd93.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi guys,

News from our pal @ShadowGangs on his upcoming game Shadow Gangs Zero. 

Big announcement regarding Shadow Gangs Zero: I will make a Sega Megadrive/Genesis version! It will be part of the coming Kickstarter! Had some free time, and started looking into the blast processing development!, also many people asked for this version, so now it's time!

Shadow Gangs on Steam

Anthony...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi guys,

More from AtariAge member @ShadowGangs with Shaodw Gangs Zero. 

Shadow Gangs Zero: This a secret area in the forest level, that I removed from Shadow Gangs original. It will be included this time on SG Zero.

Anthony..

• Thanks 1

Hi guys,

The final days to pre-order Knights Chance and Super Bubble Pop is following up fellas.

Last Days to Preorder Neo Geo Releases

Knight's Chance Artwork

Hello Retro Gamers!

We wanted to reach out again and let you know that we will be closing pre-orders on Knight Chance (AES and MVS) and Neo Super Bubble Pop (MVS) soon! These will be the last few days to secure your copy; after that, we will produce only enough to fulfill pre-orders and a few extras to meet minimum quantities from the factory. These titles will have a very limited release.

https://www.pikointeractive.com/home/Neo-Geo-c153275501

4202885568.png

Anthony...

• Thanks 1

Hi guys,

Here's the latest newsletter from Jeff Kurtz at Neobitz. 

If you have already pre-ordered, thank you. For everyone else that was on the interest / wait-list, I just wanted to let you know that pre-orders are closing at the end of this week so that we can get the production order submitted.

If you're still interested, now would be the time to order since this is the last and final chance to get an authentic / authorized Knight's Chance cartridge for either MVS or AES. 
https://www.pikointeractive.com/home/Knights-Chance-NEO-GEO-AES-Preorder-p640895837

Again, thanks for your interest and look for more exciting news coming from Neobitz later in 2024.

Thanks,
Jeff

Knight's Chance - Neo Geo MVS (Preorder)

Anthony..

4 minutes ago, Charlie Cat said:

Hi guys,

The final days to pre-order Knights Chance and Super Bubble Pop is following up fellas.

Last Days to Preorder Neo Geo Releases

Knight's Chance Artwork

Hello Retro Gamers!

We wanted to reach out again and let you know that we will be closing pre-orders on Knight Chance (AES and MVS) and Neo Super Bubble Pop (MVS) soon! These will be the last few days to secure your copy; after that, we will produce only enough to fulfill pre-orders and a few extras to meet minimum quantities from the factory. These titles will have a very limited release.

https://www.pikointeractive.com/home/Neo-Geo-c153275501

4202885568.png

Anthony...

It’s a good thing we bought Super Puzzle Pop and pre-ordered Knight’s Chance, @Charlie Cat!

Edited by ColecoGamer