IGNORED

The Official Turbografx 16 Thread!

2 hours ago, SlidellMan said:

Considering that Mr. Jakes of Basement Brothers covered this:

https://www.romhacking.net/translations/7087/ - Dead of the Brain is now in English and French.

https://www.romhacking.net/translations/7089/

Bummer it's a CD game...I was hoping for something for the ol Everdrive.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
37 minutes ago, SlidellMan said:

So, what are your thoughts on TG-16/PC-E sports games? (The good, bad, and execrable.)

Considering I was an Amiga owner back in the day, I always had a fondness for the TV Sports series of games. If you don't mind the non-EA style gameplay, they can be quite fun. The play mechanics are quite unlike anything else. In general, the baseball games were good, but they never really matched what ultimately came out on the Genesis. Champions Forever is an interesting boxing game. Again, not necessarily great, but certainly worth a try.

• Like 5

I've got a soft spot for FInal Lap on there, that one and the FC release are both quite good, have a few lite RPG elements to it in growing your racers abilities out.  It plays well, good challenge.

But that aside, yeah if you can get through the menus, use a faq to learn all the button ninja work needed, the fire pro games are definitely wrestlers to look into.  I'd qualify it as a sport, but Kunio in his Super Dodgeball outing on PCE hucard is a must, it's such a great game, even has an added go around the world and find shape shifting aliens who took the place of a key player in each global team and force it out.  Forcing them out then you can choose to recruit the big grunt captain of said area to add some added moves and skill to your crew.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

I hear that the Fire Pro Wrestling games are good but other than that IDK.

I love the Fire Pro series but to be honest, the early games on PC Engine are very tough to enjoy nowadays imho. I think some fans still play the Saturn and Dreamcast games, but the series has really improved gradually (with some occasional hiccups of course).

Final Match Tennis is highly regarded though, at least in France (where the PC Engine was imported and quite popular). I also like Final Lap which is more a racer to me, and then there are the Kunio games indeed, but the soccer one is probably more accessible on the NES.

Edited by roots.genoa
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

I love the Fire Pro series but to be honest, the early games on PC Engine are very tough to enjoy nowadays imho. I think some fans still play the Saturn and Dreamcast games, but the series has really improved gradually (with some occasional hiccups of course).

At the turn of the millennium I was part of a scene that would rip frames from Super Fire Pro Wrestling X Premium on SNES, then use them as a base to create our own animations. Sadly, most of my creative endeavors from the 2000s have since been lost to dead HDDs and obsolete web hosts... but someone appeared out of nowhere with an archive of old stuff a few years back! My later/better stuff is still lost, when I was order and more patient, but after so many years thinking all of it was gone, seeing any of it again was incredible.

The holy grail move to animate was the Vertebreaker, there weren't any moves in the game that provided frames anything even close to what was needed to make that happen. I could never do it. In fact I have a memory of getting home from school on 9/11, and after taking 10 minutes to sit in front of the TV and see how badly shit hit the fan that day, I headed straight for the PC to try once again in vain to make a Vertebreaker happen.

Fire Pro Animations ranged from purely using frames from the game just edited-together differently (choke lift + sit down powerbomb = Baldo Bomb), to editing frames very heavily and/or mostly drawing from scratch. One gu would even add extra frames to in-game moves to make them flow together even more nicely (as we used to say, "flows like piss." Lots of great comedy in that group.)

Here's a couple personal favorites by the best animator out of all of us, Dogglife:

A-MoveSeries1.gif

A-MoveSeries2.gif

I hope he's got a comfy job working as an artist somewhere nowadays, his stuff was just incredible.

Here's a couple of mine:

newdealy.gif

and since it's that time of year, a Van-Gift-in-ator! (as I recall, this and the other Xmas-themed one were for a Holiday tournament).

vandaminator.gif

I've mirrored the entire archive here if anyone wants to time travel back to 2000 and look at the various animations, arenas, props, and other things we made.

There's a single forum still lingering out there, but it was created after the scene's heyday just so there would be a place for anyone who spontaneously remembered the scene could pop in and say hello if they wished. As I recall there were a couple different animation boards back in the day, I was most active on Overshadow's.

There's also a series of videos called SFPWXP Legends put together by a guy named [sic] as most active members were approaching our late teens, about to move on to the next phase of their lives. Recognizing this, before everyone vanished, [sic] had the foresight to ask everyone to post their best animations as well as a song. Unfortunately, my song voice ("The Mob Rules" by Black Sabbath) didn't jive well with YouTube so my segments had to be cut. But a YouTube search will pull up some of the Legends videos that survived.

I don't have much use for Jasc Animation Shop 3 anymore, but I use Paint Shop Pro 7 to this day. :)

(That smiley at the end reminded me of one last thing I'd like to mention: Overshadow's forum had my favorite smiley of all time, and it got plenty of use given our brand of humor... a perv face. It was animated w/eyebrows moving up+down, a pair of unblinking eyes fixated on you, and a crooked smile. My sense of humor wouldn't be the same without that place.)

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Biff Burgertime said:

That's quite awesome! That being said, what makes animating a little easier in the Fire Pro series in the fact that characters are kinda puppets made of small interchangeable parts. But it wasn't the case in the early games, and that's why it's hard to go back to them imho. It seems that the SNES games were already quite advanced though (although Super Fire Pro Wrestling X Premium is 1996 already).

• Like 1

Analogue label info was sent today, but it'll be a bit. Pretty jazzed.

But wow is this ever the wrong year to start a TGCD collection.

the only US game I can afford...within the limits of my sanity...arrived today, The VAX Collection!

So I pulled down the old 'never gonna need these again' cd rack from the highest shelf for a pic.

It's been up there for probably a decade.  🤣

Looks like I tripped over a couple pce titles over the years, so I finally get to play those too.

There's something about the feeling flipping through a stack of hucards. Very low friction. everdrives took it from me, a duo jailbreak probably will again, but for now I've got little plastic squares.

(embiggen)

QSv8JRAm.jpg

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

There is now Turbo Duo Works under the old NES Works maker, and I watched the review over dinner last night.  Mostly a competent machine it appears, much like others they've put out where it works mostly but a few upgrades will really set it right firmware side so that's good.  One alarming thing I saw, they made this overly thin slot on the front for the HuCards, everdrive wont' fit.  That sucks.  I hope someone makes an adapter because the off market vintage conversion things stick out like walking the plank as is.  He said you can unscrew the face plate of the console itself, but that seems like a really really bad idea.

I had been considering the unit, but it went to sleep so long from first word to here in that time and with them screwing pocket owners over on the adapters with the progressively nasty prices on PCE cards now too I got out.  I would still see utility in such a system if it were jailbroken to throw the games onto it on a SD card, or getting another flash kit, if one fit and then cruising for random pre-scammy prices on loose game cards is totally not off the table.  NEC had a fantastic system that got a bad shake due to sheer incompetence on the US shores unfortunately.

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

One alarming thing I saw, they made this overly thin slot on the front for the HuCards, everdrive wont' fit.  That sucks.  I hope someone makes an adapter because the off market vintage conversion things stick out like walking the plank as is.  He said you can unscrew the face plate of the console itself, but that seems like a really really bad idea

I don't know about the newer ones but the Turbo Everdrive I bought directly from Krikzz didn't come with a faceplate on it.. always wondered about that!

image.png.51a5cbc00d1fa61c5973d6ece1f3f2b7.png

• Like 1

Just now, NE146 said:

I don't know about the newer ones but the Turbo Everdrive I bought directly from Krikzz didn't come with a faceplate on it.. always wondered about that!

Well by default they come exposed, you buy the added plate, and I think that plate is largely the issue.  But then it makes me wonder, what about SF2CE and Populous, will they fit or get a bit too snug?

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, NE146 said:

For the early ones the faceplate was an option. I went the same route you did and do not have a faceplate on mine. Always felt it was unnecessary in my case since I was using it with a PCE DUO, which has the door flap.

Word on the street is Analogue's console doesn't like these earlier Everdrives. Hopefully they will fix that. Newer Everdrives have faceplates that can simply be taken off (they are mounted with screws). Not a big issue. However, Metal Jesus tweeted yesterday that his is mounted with rivets, which complicates things in his case.

57 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Well by default they come exposed, you buy the added plate, and I think that plate is largely the issue.  But then it makes me wonder, what about SF2CE and Populous, will they fit or get a bit too snug?

Those thicker cards are confirmed by reviewers to work fine.

Edited by Austin
  • Thanks 1

My review for IGN hasn't gone live yet, but it's a thin slot, only slightly larger than a HuCard. It looks nice and works well, but it's definitely a shame that it's not the original design so it could accommodate thicker cards. I had to remove the cover on my clone Turbo EverDrive V1.9 clone HuCard, but even then it didn't work. It fit, but wasn't recognized. It seems that only the newer EverDrives work (I have the newest one on the way, but it's going to take a while). There are a LOT of compatibility issues, although today's firmware update addressed a few of them. I really like the system, but it's definitely some firmware updates away from being a full recommendation.

• Like 1