IGNORED

The Official Turbografx 16 Thread!

8 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

Do we really need a flashcart if the jailbreak happens anyway? Same for Tennokoe bank. I sold mine since the Duo both handles saves and savestates.

Personally, I tend to prefer to keep my systems stock, so there's value for me there. Of course, if I have an extra system, I have no issue with using one for jailbreaks should I be so motivated.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

Do we really need a flashcart if the jailbreak happens anyway? Same for Tennokoe bank. I sold mine since the Duo both handles saves and savestates.

My stance is that it’s not a guarantee a jailbreak will appear. I really hope one does, but it’s still up in the air at the moment. In the meantime, being able to use our flash carts would be a big bonus.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

Well, it would be nice if the Tennokoe Bank let me salvage save games from my SSDS3. Or are they already on the SD card? Hmmm. Anyway, it's just kind of funny to me :)

22 hours ago, Tanooki said:

This seems like an idiotic glaring oversight for a boutique item catering to a very specific niche market that largely use these chunky pieces from everdrive to legit media and accessories that won't fit without modding or removing the plate.  They really should address that.

I gotta agree. Mine is on the way, I saw a video explaining this issue and was like...really? REALLY? I'll just take the plate off but....for sure this should have been planned for.

• Like 1

I got my Analogue DUO Wednesday, and even with the cover removed, my TED 2.5 will NOT work on it. It just keeps tossing one of two errors through the A DUO. It will give an SD IO error or FAT Read error. I've tried a few different SD cards from my other flash carts with no success. Then I stumbled on a Reddit post where someone posted the same thing, and others chimed in stating similar, including someone from Games Radar who confirmed the same errors in their testing for their review with the 2.5 and with the 1.x versions simply never showing up as HuCards to be started. 

What bothered me most was that in the postings, these issues with the TEDs apparently were known about for months and brought up with Krikzz but nothing was done to address it. So it almost seems like once, it was confirmed that it at least works with the Turbo Everdrive PRO that it was considered good enough for Krikzz. But I do hope that older TEDs either receive a FW update for them to allow them to work, or Analogue. But I was getting the impression in reading the posts that it was a case of Analogue and Krikzz pointing a finger at the other to resolve.

I also don't like how the LED pairing light on the side is ALWAYS lit and blinking even when I have the A DUO powered off. I assume this is because it actually enters a low power standby mode so that it can be powered remotely from compatible Bluetooth controllers. But for me, I'm only planning to use actual controllers with mine and would prefer that light only be lit to indicate a controller is plugged in and active. It is quite odd to see it still blinking in the dark of my game room when not in use otherwise.

• Like 1

On 12/14/2023 at 11:13 AM, Tanooki said:

This seems like an idiotic glaring oversight for a boutique item catering to a very specific niche market that largely use these chunky pieces from everdrive to legit media and accessories that won't fit without modding or removing the plate.  They really should address that.

Don't think it was an oversight, since it was mentioned in the FAQ back in 2020. I would categorize it as deemed "not worthwhile" for them to address. 

• Like 2

So, since I saw the convoluted Tennokoe instructions on page 8 of the Analogue Duo's online manual, and figured that I usually like putting my life into hard mode, 🙄 so I naturally went ahead and ordered one of those Tennokoe hucard savebanks.

Presumably, with the proper TG16 adapter that I don't yet have, I can take a save from my existing Tennokoe II to the analogue duo via a process I already know I'm probably never going to bother with, but options are nice to have. But it's not like I'll just be able to buy one of these later if I change my mind. I have to get them before they go ultra-rare like everything else in the family.

Speaking of how common they are, the Tennokoe cards seem like such an edge case device, so it's surprising there are so many of them in relation to Tennokoe II units. (??) I must be missing something. And thank you internet for putting out instructive videos on 30 year old japanese-only savegame technology.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Reaperman said:

Speaking of how common they are, the Tennokoe cards seem like such an edge case device, so it's surprising there are so many of them in relation to Tennokoe II units.

They are the only way to back up your data. If you play Wizardry your whole system memory is taken up by the data file. If you should want to play Be Ball etc you're screwed. You need multiple banks to store all of your save game files if you're playing multiple games.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, jgkspsx said:

They are the only way to back up your data. If you play Wizardry your whole system memory is taken up by the data file. If you should want to play Be Ball etc you're screwed. You need multiple banks to store all of your save game files if you're playing multiple games.

Fortunately, on the Duo, each game gets its own save area.

• Like 3

On 12/15/2023 at 12:05 PM, Lost Monkey said:

Don't think it was an oversight, since it was mentioned in the FAQ back in 2020. I would categorize it as deemed "not worthwhile" for them to address. 

I think it still works, it was a mistake after all doing that thinking no one would complain.  Again, very niche market and you're basically alienating a piece of that group who want to use such accessories or an everdrive.  Doubling down arguing with krikzz over it too doesn't seem like a good plan either since it's their FPGA design having the fit while the ED itself works just fine on honest vintage hardware.

5 hours ago, Bill Loguidice said:

Try Down + Start. Other controllers, try the equivalent Home button.

Apparently it's Down + Select (Start doesn't exist on PC Engine, it's Run 😉), but the weird thing is it's the same shortcut for loading savestates, except you have to hold it for one second. That being said, you have to enable the quick menu first in the settings.

Edited by roots.genoa
  • Like 2