IGNORED

Pie Factory Podcast...

Great idea for a contest, fellas. Very well paced and presented, too. Congratulations to John Sturgis! I was telling SeanCo that anyone who actually notices the slight difference in key should also receive a prize from Bach's estate. That takes some damn good ears, so if you discovered it without listening to both versions back to back (which I would certainly require), that's impressive. Most impressive. Perhaps the Emperor was right about you.

• Like 2

Every time I hear it, the "Addenda and Erra-TA" music reminds me of nearly every MGM and Warner Bros. cartoon made in the 1930s. I prefer those from the '40s and later, of course, once Tom, Jerry, Droopy / Bugs, Yosemite Sam, etc. were fleshed out and the humor became more smart-assy, but nearly every DVD anthology of cartoons contains a few very old ones, and that cha-cha (?) figures heavily into the humor of the day. Seeing an animated ass in the air on the final beat of each measure must have been very funny at the time.

("Assy"?)

• Like 2

Thanks. I do think Sean hit it on the head perfectly when he called it a novelty.

Yep. Advancements in video game graphics have always been somewhat of an obsession for the masses, but what we saw with Dragon's Lair was this phenomenon taken to it's logical extreme. The unprecedented "graphics" were enough to convince droves of players to pay twice the standard price to play a video game that wasn't even a video game.

• Like 1

Just started tuning in guys - good podcast!(why doesn't AA feature forum member podcasts more prominently?) Nice back and forth banter and with 2 distinct voices, makes it easy to follow. Also like how the sound effect inclusions when discussing a particular game as it helps jog a 30 year memory a bit easier :) Speaking of which, I had totally forgot about Space Duel and when you guys were describing it at first, I thought it may have been that game that somehow escaped me back in the day. Until the description of "tethered" ships and then Boom! There I was again, a 16 year old, in the Aladdin's Castle of the Granite Run Mall, playing the game with my buddies. Not a bad memory to have fighting traffic, driving into work this morning. Thanks guys!

I've been working my way through the back episodes. Really enjoyed "Home Consoles 1" and can't wait for #2.

Good stuff :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Just got done listening to the Lair/Time Pilot episode...

Can't believe that you think Mouse Trap on the 2600 is a decent game. It's way to easy, there are no bonus prizes in the maze and it's missing the hawk. An absolutely dreadful translation of a great game.

I remember the first time I ever played Dragon's Lair when my local bowling alley got it. I was totally confused and even questioned how this was a game. Moving the joystick to guess the correct moves? WTF is that? I never played that game again.

With Time Pilot translations you didn't mention the greatest home brew of all time Vector Pilot for the Vectrex.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9xhvmzdA_A

I felt like you initially regarding Time Pilot 84. But, they had a TP 84 cab at ReplayFX this year and I gave it a go and it really is a good game. Just played it the other night in MAME and I think it's just as good as TIme Pilot.

Oh, believe me, Ferghead, I could do an entire podcast series on words that people don't pronounce right. But given my busy schedule, I wouldn't be comfterble doing that right now. Maybe I'll write a blog with all that verbage.

If you think it's that much effort to get your point acrosst, then maybe you should eggzit the podcast scene. Spend some time playing Atari Jag-wire, ek cetera.

Great job, scoring that intro from Buckner! That was a surprise.

I never wanted to correct Jim regarding Galaga, because I get protective about friends, even text friends ("Hey, he can pronounce it how he likes! Get over it, me!"). Also, his "sooo happy" reference from South Park makes up for any misplaced emphases.

In a personal context, however, I reckon that the words "galactic" and "galaxy," with their different emphases, have peacefully coexisted for centuries, so I'll happily continue to pronounce their game-title equivalents as I have been for thirty-odd years.

Dig it:

gal-AC-tic / gal-AX-ian

GAL-axy / GAL-a-ga

At this point, however, it must certainly amount to a subjective decision. The names are fictional words, so it's valid to pronounce them however one likes. If the names belonged to characters in a movie in which others referred to them, or we had any reference points at all, I guess it would be worth arguing about, but...well, it's fun to argue about inconsequential things among friends anyway!

The closest reference point we have is what the Namco marketing executive said. But it's unlikely that anyone works there today who was also there in the early '80s, so that could be considered dubious.

Anyway, awesome episode as usual. Well, yeah. I mean, y'know, Duh. Of course.

Perhaps I should stop typing now and get back to pretending to work.

(Applause)

The closest reference point we have is what the Namco marketing executive said. But it's unlikely that anyone works there today who was also there in the early '80s, so that could be considered dubious.

I don't know about a Namco marketing executive, but Jason Eckert got it from a Midway exec who worked there at the time and ergo would remember. There's a link to the article in the show notes. :)

• Like 1

I don't know about a Namco marketing executive, but Jason Eckert got it from a Midway exec who worked there at the time and ergo would remember.

Ah, yes: I meant "Midway." Someone in the background at Galloping Ghost said "Namco" at the same time you were talking! Yeah, that's it! Understandable, right? Hello? Fellas?

:dunce: