IGNORED

Pie Factory Podcast...

Just listened to the latest show. Regarding the patterns in Pac-Man, and how they seem to be hit-or-miss in how often they work as intended, I’ve noticed that myself with my own patterns.

Eventually I realized that it’s probably because you have to pay close attention to cornering in Pac-Man; there are two ways to make the same turn in the maze. You can either turn “normally” or you can “carve” the corner for a quicker turn (not sure if that’s the correct term for it), by pressing and holding the joystick in the direction of the turn before you reach the intersection. For a pattern to work the same way every time, you have to ensure that you do all the corners the same way, otherwise your pattern will be off by a few frames, which might be enough to make the ghosts do something different than you expect.

There are definitely different ROM revisions for the game, but even within the same version, you can see patterns break down.

I'm far from a Pac-Man expert (I totally suck, actually) so I could be wrong here, but it makes sense.

• Like 1

In regards to the Intellivision controllers: The original unit (and subsequent re-release from Intv Corp) do not have DB9 connectors. They do have a 9 pin connector that connects to the motherboard. However, the pins on the connector are all in a single row.

The Intellivision II and Sears Super Video Arcade (a Sears-branded version of the original console) do have standard DB9 connectors and user-replaceable controllers. The connector on these systems is NOT compatible with 2600/Genesis controllers, however.

Edited by bikeguychicago
  • Like 1

In regards to the Intellivision controllers: The original unit (and subsequent re-release from Intv Corp) do not have DB9 connectors. They do have a 9 pin connector that connects to the motherboard. However, the pins on the connector are all in a single row.

The Intellivision II and Sears Super Video Arcade (a Sears-branded version of the original console) do have standard DB9 connectors and user-replaceable controllers. The connector on these systems is NOT compatible with 2600/Genesis controllers, however.

I could have sworn this was the case, or something similar

Ah, shucks, guys, thanks for covering my feedback in the newest episode! You know I was mostly kidding you, right? :) But thank you for covering it.

Regarding the 'of course!' comment on me favoring Ms Pac Man over Pac Man...that's not a universal opinion. Two out of the three guys on the Retro Gaming Roundup podcast are on the record as preferring Pac Man, and I also believe back when No Quarter covered Ms. Pac Man one of them said they preferred the original as well. I don't recall which one, most of my memory of that episode was on the 'sexist' of Ms. Pac Man, which I have issues with but will save that debate for when you guys cover it. In addition, I had a ex-girlfriend who actually preferred Super Pac Man over both games....but she was always a bit weird. ;)

Speaking about the next episode, I thought you guys broke up the episode not only for the interview but for the games...but you covered both of the announced games in this one. So what are the games in the NEXT episode? You didn't say anywhere. :P

Edited by SoulBlazer
  • Like 1

Ah, shucks, guys, thanks for covering my feedback in the newest episode! You know I was mostly kidding you, right? :) But thank you for covering it.

Regarding the 'of course!' comment on me favoring Ms Pac Man over Pac Man...that's not a universal opinion. Two out of the three guys on the Retro Gaming Roundup podcast are on the record as preferring Pac Man, and I also believe back when No Quarter covered Ms. Pac Man one of them said they preferred the original as well. I don't recall which one, most of my memory of that episode was on the 'sexist' of Ms. Pac Man, which I have issues with but will save that debate for when you guys cover it. In addition, I had a ex-girlfriend who actually preferred Super Pac Man over both games....but she was always a bit weird. ;)

Speaking about the next episode, I thought you guys broke up the episode not only for the interview but for the games...but you covered both of the announced games in this one. So what are the games in the NEXT episode? You didn't say anywhere. :P

We actually already covered Ms. Pac on Episode 6. As for the breaking up of this episode, we're going to be covering more on Pac-Man. We ain't done yet!

Inky, on 28 Sept 2015 - 7:39 PM, said:

We actually already covered Ms. Pac on Episode 6. As for the breaking up of this episode, we're going to be covering more on Pac-Man. We ain't done yet!

Ah crap, you're right. I forgot. Sorry!

See, this is why I podcast on the weekends when I am off work....the brain after a work day is shot. :P

• Like 1

We only posted a partial episode. :) So...the next episode will be announced with the rest of THIS episode.

What's the RSS feed for This Week in Potatoes? I'm eager to hear about the developer behind the petite potatoes. Also, the retrospective on the Irish potato famine.

• Like 1

Actually it's not up on that link yet...go to:

- iTunes

- Stitcher

- piefactorypodcast.wordpress.com

Drat...didn't make it before the edit...but....the show's now up on the show notes page. However, the show notes aren't there yet; long story short, need to adjust some of the code before we can get the show notes up.

Very touching intro Inky.

Btw, here's the Pac-Man Bank I mentioned:

And here's the Pac-Man Maze Game I mentioned:

Ep 201: The neat Tomy Magnetic Maze Pac-Man Game.
I also just came across this reading an old GI Joe comic:
post-40263-0-43448000-1444077497_thumb.png
Finally I would like to issue a formal protest over you covering the game which shall not be named.
I guess it's one saving grace is that it will be in your flush worthy themed episode ;)

Aw, come on, Phil, what do you have against Tinkle Pit??

Anyhoo....I put the picture of your son's Kix plate in the show notes!

I never knew about that magnetic board game until hearing you and Board James talk about it...that's an interesting concept...basically a modified Labyrinth game...and yeppers, that bank is most DEFINITELY a re-purposed Mr. Mouth!

Edited by Dauber
  • Like 1

No, ID3 tags make no mention of it, at least on our end when we upload it. It's probably because the blog that has the RSS feed is under the same account as my "pacmaniax" blog. At least, that's the only explanation I can think of.

Edited by Dauber