IGNORED

Soulbuster's Non-Variant List of Homebrew Games Released

The Smurf game is a variant of Sydney Hunter and the Shrines of Peril.

It is strange to see games programmed by Mattel Electronics and Activision on a homebrew list.

I think it's the other way around. I believe they were ready to release Smurf with carts and boxes already, and had to cancel due to licensing issues. Sydney was an attempt to release the game without the licensing problems.

I'm just gonna piss off a number of people and say that this should actually be 2 lists: one for actual homebrew (with whatever variant structure you prefer), and another for "we grabbed this ROM off a Mattel CD-ROM and burnt it to some carts". Sorry, but Lock n Chase has no business being on a list along with Kroz or Sydney Hunter. The only things that it has in common is that someone made a box/cart variant for an already released game. Whoopee.

I could get Spiker! repro boxes printed up and flash a bunch of carts - is that now a homebrew release? No, it's called a pirated cart. Virtually all collector lists for other systems separate pirate releases from homebrew. Regardless of the year the pirate cart is released. While the Intellivision had virtually no pirate releases back in the day, that's still not a reason to call these any more "legit" than a pirate release for say the 2600 or Famicom.

But as with anything, I guess it depends on if you collect games or cardboard. From a cardboard standpoint, obviously these are all separate releases (and the cardboard often has quite beautiful new art).

Disclaimer - I am an AVID pirate cart collector. I've got some 2600 variants that are still undumped as far as I can tell (actual ROM variants to boot). And I LOVE pirated Famicom multicarts. I don't mean the above as a condemnation of the pirate scene in the slightest. I just don't even a hint of "homebrewing" going on with these pirate releases.

I like this idea.

• Like 1

I like this idea.

Careful Lath/freewheel, Thinking outside the box or norm and not what the Self Chosen leaders of our little part of AA could get insults thrown your way or even worse a big NOPE ! I have spoken , what I speak is the word.

Not to agree or disagree with Freewheels statement, but a discussion and not just a big NOPE is what a open and free community could or may do when something is brought up outside what are thought to be.

Edited by m-crew

Careful Lath/freewheel, Thinking outside the box or norm and not what the Self Chosen leaders of our little part of AA could get insults thrown your way or even worse a big NOPE ! I have spoken , what I speak is the word.

Not to agree or disagree with Freewheels statement, but a discussion and not just a big NOPE is what a open and free community could or may do when something is brought up outside what are thought to be.

You might notice that I'm not terribly worried about what people will think about my comments here :)

It's also getting harder to troll Rev about stuff like this, now that he's actually releasing legit homebrew games. Who knows, maybe one day even I'll program something that isn't a blatant rip-off.

• Like 3

I think what Freewheel suggested is normal from what I have seen with other systems. I count 30 games in this list that are not homebrews. They would be classified as unauthorised reproductions or mods/hacks. And a blatant ripoff can be considered a homebrew if it doesn't have any pirated code. Desert Bus is a homebrew.

You might notice that I'm not terribly worried about what people will think about my comments here :)

It's also getting harder to troll Rev about stuff like this, now that he's actually releasing legit homebrew games. Who knows, maybe one day even I'll program something that isn't a blatant rip-off.

All Good that's for sure... :)

lol, im sure Rev will miss all that trolling.lol

I think what Freewheel suggested is normal from what I have seen with other systems. I count 30 games in this list that are not homebrews. They would be classified as unauthorised reproductions or mods/hacks. And a blatant ripoff can be considered a homebrew if it doesn't have any pirated code. Desert Bus is a homebrew.

That's the same line I draw (and most other collectors do, historically).

Jr. Pac-Man will be a new homebrew. Ms. Pac-Man is a new homebrew. Copter Command and Missile Domination are homebrews. Even a pixel-perfect reproduction is a homebrew, if it's original code. The recent Baseball hack is.. a hack. Or a mod, depending on your preferred terminology - some people think "hack" is derogatory. I don't.

It's how Cowering's lists that started in the 90s ballooned into thousands of releases for a system that saw 700 commercial releases. There are thousands of prototypes, hacks, pirate carts, etc out there. But only 700 actual "releases", plus whatever homebrew came later.

I think if you can separate the hack from the original code (eg. a patch) than it might be referred to as a mod. That's because the original game/rom is not modified and the patch would require the original rom to run. Otherwise its a hack. It is possible to distribute "patches" like this for Intellivision roms using cfg files.

I think if you can separate the hack from the original code (eg. a patch) than it might be referred to as a mod. That's because the original game/rom is not modified and the patch would require the original rom to run. Otherwise its a hack. It is possible to distribute "patches" like this for Intellivision roms using cfg files.

These are terms used in the gaming community with very generalized meanings, not strictly technical terms employed by programmers. Most people don't care about the technical nuances of a "patch" versus a "mod."

To many, "mod" and "hack" are interchangeable, except as Freewheel mentioned, someone ascribes negative connotations to it.

• 2 weeks later...