IGNORED

Atari ST Games Ported to the Jaguar

CyranoJ

I went back to this one after several years :)

To the people who just want to piss vinegar and whinge and moan:

A friend asked me to do this one specifically - if you don't like these ports then shove your head up your arse, because I value friends more than your opinions.

To everyone else:

I'll try and finish this up this week.

• Like 17

2 minutes ago, CyranoJ said:

A friend asked me to do this one specifically - if you don't like these ports then shove your head up your arse, because I value friends more than your opinions.

To everyone else:

Screw any haters. Outrun is awesome man. Good on you and good on your friend for choosing that one!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looks like a pretty nice port of Outrun (I played the 8bits conversion back in the days, although "played" might be an overstatement considering how bad the port were). Dumb sunday morning question, since the audio part seems to be the weak point of the ST version, how hard would it be to add in-game music and/or tweak the sfx?

edit: just watch some let's play of the ST version, there is actually some decent music in-game :)

Edited by LordKraken

Well, here we go.  It's probably still got some bugs, but its playable, so have at it.  Not going to spend a long time tweaking this one as the base game is so... well...  yes.  The timer now works properly in NTSC, which it didn't before as it was hard locked to 50 VBIs/second :)

Late "Happy Birthday" @Rick Dangerous

Outrun-Skunk-GD.rom

Bring on NITROUS!!!!!

• Like 21
  • Thanks 11

On 11/4/2023 at 10:45 PM, CyranoJ said:

https://youtu.be/eo2HJ6VZCRE?si=3WrcR1c9Imc-P6v5

To everyone else:

Probably just ex-Atari management. ;)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing FOUR Jaguar conversions from Atari ST on today's ZPH stream LIVE on Twitch! Hope you can join us in the chat!

Games:

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing FOUR Jaguar conversions from Atari ST on today's ZPH stream LIVE on Twitch! Hope you can join us in the chat!

Games:

Of those, Joust is nearly a daily play over here and a personal favorite.  (Thanks x1000 CJ). Making the sounds for this was a blast.  Still proud of making a Pterodactyl kill on the Lynx for the sound sampling.  Atari ST graphics + Lynx sound effects... You get the best Atari Joust on all the Atari consoles with the Jaguar!

And played Midnight Resistance all the way through, mostly as a playtest, but I sincerely liked that game.

Tried the other two and they were good, just not extensively played.

Edited by doctorclu
  • Like 2

Joust with Lynx sound effects?  Reminds me of the time when I recorded samples of the Atari 800 Donkey Kong Jr and swapped them out for the ones that came with MAME back in the day before discrete sound was emulated.  I couldn't stand the included samples.  :lol:

Plus some were missing. :D

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Shannon said:

Joust with Lynx sound effects? 

Yep.  On Joust for the Jaguar you can select 2600, 7800, Atari 8-bit, Atari ST (original sounds), Lynx, and arcade. 

Also you can play with an electric guitar of greensleeves playing in the background.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, doctorclu said:

Yep.  On Joust for the Jaguar you can select 2600, 7800, Atari 8-bit, Atari ST (original sounds), Lynx, and arcade. 

Also you can play with an electric guitar of greensleeves playing in the background.

Why anyone would change from the A8 pokey sfx is beyond me, though :D

• Like 2

21 hours ago, RPPjr said:

Thank you very much for all of these @CyranoJ, they've added tons of fun to my Jaguar.  Saw the episode from the awesome @ZeroPage Homebrew on YouTube that directed me to this thread and I am so grateful.  I am very thankful for AtariAge and all of you wonderful people.  Happy Thanksgiving to you sir.

Loved this moment in the comments on the Joust portion of the video:

ScreenShot2023-11-22at10_45_14AM.thumb.png.cc9467fb30ef04662f2096df368fb7c0.png

(5000-ish..)  Got a good chuckle out of that.

• Haha 5

49 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

Wow, thanks to you, I just realized that 7800-2600=5200. I feel very dumb. 🤦‍♂️

Yeah Atari system numbering wasn't by accident.

2600 + 2600 = 5200

5200 + 2600 = 7800

Then there is the computer series..

400, 800, 

400 + 800 (XL) = 1200 XL

65 XE..

65 (XE) + 65 (XE) = 130XE.

:D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2