IGNORED

Game Of The Year 2015

vprette

Game of the Year 2015  

148 members have voted

1. 1. What is your choice for Game of the Year 2015?

• Boulder Dash
    • Ms. Pac-Man
    • Takeover
    • Copter Command
    • Brickout
    • Flapee Bird
    • Princess Quest
    • Piggy Bank
    • Number Jumble
    • Game Factory

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

if the problem here is to have people that votes multiple times with different profiles, I can make the vote public (the username is shown) and we can debut about voters that have e profile created few days before.... but I dont think this is the case to take it so serious..

You're not allowed to have more than one profile (I'm not saying it isn't done, but I'm sure it's pretty rare, and who cares in this case, really).

• Like 1

Excluding non-CIB games is dumb, because it has nothing to do with the game. The poll is for best game of the year.

On a completely different note, I think Piggy Bank has a certain feel to it, from its non-CIB-ness, to its blixy kick-off, its non-commercial-ness, its personal-ness, and its relatively low price, which I think makes it the little-game-that-could.

There was quite a buzz around Flapee Bird. Some were playing it fairly heavily. I guess the low (or no) votes is just an indication that there was very heavy competition, and not that the game is bad or unliked - just not the best, I guess, and there's nothing wrong with that.

it was tough for me to decide between flapee bird and piggy bank. I even probably was swayed towards piggy bank because of seeing the votes ahead of time. But for the record i really love flapee bird Edited by pimpmaul69

There was quite a buzz around Flapee Bird. Some were playing it fairly heavily. I guess the low (or no) votes is just an indication that there was very heavy competition, and not that the game is bad or unliked - just not the best, I guess, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Flapee Bird is a very well executed game. But it's just Flappy Bird...but done good. :)

As a person that has had to suffer through writing and maintaining a software survey engine that directly impacts the allocation of an organization's $100 million+ budget, I can assure you that the person I have to work with (who has their master's degree in whatever degree statisticians get) would have a field day with this thread. I won't inflict them on you all, I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy ;)

Forgetting about things like new accounts (voting eligibility based on minimum post count and age of account), IP address tracking, etc, there is a reason why government's and awards shows don't do selections this way. We shouldn't be able to see the current results until the end of voting, and if 150 total people vote with the winning entry getting 30 votes, how is that the GOTY since 120 felt that it wasn't the game of the year?

As a person that has had to suffer through writing and maintaining a software survey engine that directly impacts the allocation of an organization's $100 million+ budget, I can assure you that the person I have to work with (who has their master's degree in whatever degree statisticians get) would have a field day with this thread. I won't inflict them on you all, I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy ;)

Forgetting about things like new accounts (voting eligibility based on minimum post count and age of account), IP address tracking, etc, there is a reason why government's and awards shows don't do selections this way. We shouldn't be able to see the current results until the end of voting, and if 150 total people vote with the winning entry getting 30 votes, how is that the GOTY since 120 felt that it wasn't the game of the year?

other suggestions:

people can vote for up to 3 games

people will give a 1 to 10 vote to each game of the list and we calculate average

we vote for the most cute character

in the meantime we are -10 days and I see 2 titles running for the victory.. is this so?

• Like 1

3 days ago this thread was buried deep in bottom of the threads. Oh what a positive a controversy is....

We all having fun?

fun |fən|

noun

enjoyment, amusement, or lighthearted pleasure:the children were having fun in the play area |anyone who turns up can join in the fun.

behavior or an activity that is intended purely for amusement and should not be interpreted as having serious or malicious purposes: it was nothing serious; they just enjoyed having some harmless fun.

other suggestions:

people can vote for up to 3 games

people will give a 1 to 10 vote to each game of the list and we calculate average

we vote for the most cute character

in the meantime we are -10 days and I see 2 titles running for the victory.. is this so?

I suggested something like this early in this topic thread.. It would make the GOTY more accurate.. I voted for ms pac man but princess quest was a close 2nd for me and piggy bank close behind that..

i think this is a great idea...

I think the problem is that some people are applying a double standard. I've seen the same thing happen in previous polls in this community:

If the popular port of a famous game produced by a high quality publisher in a shiny box wins, then it reflects the reality that they expected and reinforces their beliefs. All is well with the world, and the game has been proven to be the best, hands down. "Its official, Yay!"

On the other hand, if an underdog or otherwise alternative game wins, then there must be something wrong with the poll or the people voting because how can it possibly win over the popular port of a famous game produced by a high quality publisher in a shiny box? Something must not be right, we have to change the process or alter the rules. "I call shenanigans, Boo!"

Instead of accepting -- in both cases -- that the poll reflects the whims of a temperamental and passionate community, and provides no more legitimacy than a that.

Regardless of what anybody says, and in spite of whatever shenanigans are possible to apply to the process, I still think there's value to these polls and a certain legitimacy imbued by the community itself. If only because it raises the profile of some games to others who may have ignored them originally.

dZ.

• Like 3

If some people are so paranoid about 'multiple fake' accounts "voting", just make the votes visible..see who voted on what. Re-do the poll yet a 3rd time. It's not an ideal solution but it would show who voted for what, and if you see 'new, funky' names then you know somethings up. Real simple..i think. Personally I don't think this is the case and if it were, Albert would nuke 'em. Anyways, this is supposed to be fun and all..hopefully we can put accusations and paranoia aside. :-)

• Like 3

If some people are so paranoid about 'multiple fake' accounts "voting", just make the votes visible..see who voted on what. Re-do the poll yet a 3rd time. It's not an ideal solution but it would show who voted for what, and if you see 'new, funky' names then you know somethings up. Real simple..i think. Personally I don't think this is the case and if it were, Albert would nuke 'em. Anyways, this is supposed to be fun and all..hopefully we can put accusations and paranoia aside. :-)

Yes That's what the intellivision was and is about.... cheers to Fun...

• Like 2

I dont think anyone say here that votes are fakes.. those are just general considerations to understand if some tune is possible for the next goty in the future. This vote is totally ok, and we are very close to the max number of votes the I remember in the past (88 should be).... so 3 person are missing? lets arrive to 90 votes!

If some people are so paranoid about 'multiple fake' accounts "voting", just make the votes visible..see who voted on what. Re-do the poll yet a 3rd time.

Ahhhh man, but it would a real drag to have vote 12 times again! :evil:

• Like 1

This is a poll. Its results are the opinion of the people involved in the poll.

A #1 music record is based on sales.

A #1 television show is based on viewership.

These are not based on an poll of the public, but more about actual data collected about usage and sales.

For a true GOTY, there should be some type of data collection. In this community there is currently no good way to collect the data, so you end up with a poll.

I can see why Games for your Intellivision "does not see value" in the poll. Even I see little value in it, but I am also curious to what public opinion is.

If you wish to better server the community with a poll such as this, the results should be closed until the voting is over, as is the case with the Academy Awards or other such nomination organizations.

Edited by SoulBuster

For a true GOTY, there should be some type of data collection. In this community there is currently no good way to collect the data, so you end up with a poll.

Sure there is, you already mentioned other industries measure by sales - so there's *part* of it. Every publisher here is or should be aware of how many units they sold.

But even such sales figures will be skewed in a community such as this. Why? Because you've got people purchasing multiple copies of_the_same_game. Certainly not a true measurement to popularity as certain games get hoarded away. Unless the publisher is honest and has the integrity to adjust for said behavior.

But anyway, who said this whole thing needs to be so tight or official? As with any popularity contest, should be taken with a grain of salt. Should be about fun, especially since we're talking about games already! :)