foundry (D2K) *not on either Elektronite DK Arcade or D2K Arcade release

barrels (DK)

refinery (D2K)

pie factory (DK)

incinerator (D2K)

triple elevators (D2K)

mixer (D2K)

rivets (DK)

The play order of D2K Donkey Kong above is out of order. That's the Japanese screen order found in the first DK Arcade. D2K Arcade screen order is back to North American "normal".

It's kind of ridiculous that you have to buy multiple versions in order to get the game in American and Japanese order. What is that, a five minute patch? :roll:

-dZ.

Elecronite's DK Arcade has both NA and Japanese variations. If you have that and the new D2K Special Edition than you have all the variations in two cartridges.

Edit:

And its not just the order of the screens. Japanese DK lets you play elevators and pie factory at level one. In the NA version you have to play them at level two and three respectively. Those screens are easier at level one.

Edited by mr_me

OK, so I just played two games of D2K SE and for what it's worth I achieved a pathetic 13,300 in game 2. Lol. That said, the new levels are fun....other than me dying a bunch on the first level in my first game. :)

You suck more than a 3 dollar prostitute.

My high score after playing for almost an hour was much worse. I could not get past the Foundry level. When the 2 moving girders pass over each other and you need to jump from the lower forward-moving girder to the upper backwards-moving girder:

• 1/3 of the time the jump up is too short to reach the top upper girder (only jump up a few pixels)
  • 1/3 of the time it is high enough but when I come back down I pass through the upper girder (rather annoying)
  • 1/3 of the time I am able to land on the upper girder. Succeeding only 1/3 of the time when this needs to be accomplished multiple times makes the overall odds of completing the level poor.

It is likely because my timing is off and the upper girder is already pushing me backwards...

It's kind of ridiculous that you have to buy multiple versions in order to get the game in American and Japanese order. What is that, a five minute patch? :roll:

-dZ.

dk originally only had the american order i believe. Then when he rereleased it he added the japanese order. I wouldnt say he intentionally did that. He just improved it before rereleasing. Now to add it to d2k would have made it a larger rom file. I dont see that as forcing you to buy another copy because again you were getting a free game with it. I actually like how he has added the previous version with each upgrade.

dk originally only had the american order i believe. Then when he rereleased it he added the japanese order. I wouldnt say he intentionally did that. He just improved it before rereleasing. Now to add it to d2k would have made it a larger rom file. I dont see that as forcing you to buy another copy because again you were getting a free game with it. I actually like how he has added the previous version with each upgrade.

Right, because ordering the levels does not require just a lookup table for 4 entries, it requires making the game twice. :roll:

It seems, you are a little bit obsessed with that game.

No, it's because I have DK Arcade from IntelligentVision, then D2K Arcade from Elektronite, which contain also DK Arcade in it -- both in American order. Then a re-released was made with the Japanese order (which is the original and superior edition), which I thought should have been included all along. I had already two versions and I didn't feel like purchasing yet another variant just to get that.

Sure, back then it didn't really feel like they were releasing different variants to milk the title -- until they continued doing just that.

Anyway, I was just curious to know what was in this "new" game, since there was so much confusion about what was different between the other versions. It has two different level screens, and a graphical change on one of the title screens.

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay

Jeff's romhack D2K:

barrels (DK)
refinery (D2K)
pie factory (DK)
incinerator (D2K)
triple elevators (D2K)
mixer (D2K)
rivets (DK)

that Jaff's romhack D2K is it running on Intellivision?

from the website and that it says Arcade SD

I didnt have the impression

Jeff's romhack D2K:foundry (D2K) *not on either Elektronite DK Arcade or D2K Arcade releasebarrels (DK)refinery (D2K)pie factory (DK)incinerator (D2K)triple elevators (D2K)mixer (D2K)rivets (DK)

Jeff romhack is not for intellivision.

Jeff's romhack D2K:

barrels (DK)

refinery (D2K)

pie factory (DK)

incinerator (D2K)

triple elevators (D2K)

mixer (D2K)

rivets (DK)

There is an Intellivision link on Jeff's website, but its broken. D2K Special Edition has two game variations, one follows Jeff's design and the other is Carl's design both are programmed by Carl.

Regarding Japanese vs NA DK. I wouldn't say one is better than the other. I think novice players, like myself, might prefer the Japanese version. Expert players might prefer the NA version as it gets you to harder levels quicker.

Regarding Japanese vs NA DK. I wouldn't say one is better than the other. I think novice players, like myself, might prefer the Japanese version. Expert players might prefer the NA version as it gets you to harder levels quicker.

I prefer it because it actually plays through all four levels and tells a story where Jumpman defeats the ape at the end a gets the girl. The American version was switched specifically to make it harder, delay two of the levels, and entice people to spend more quarters to play the "full" game. It always was weird that Kong gets defeated on the fourth level (second screen), but if you make it even farther, there's no payoff except starting at the first level again.

Anyway, that's my opinion, and I see no reason why both sequences would be in different cartridges.

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay
  • Like 1

Right, because ordering the levels does not require just a lookup table for 4 entries, it requires making the game twice. :roll:

No, it's because I have DK Arcade from IntelligentVision, then D2K Arcade from Elektronite, which contain also DK Arcade in it -- both in American order. Then a re-released was made with the Japanese order (which is the original and superior edition), which I thought should have been included all along. I had already two versions and I didn't feel like purchasing yet another variant just to get that.

Sure, back then it didn't really feel like they were releasing different variants to milk the title -- until they continued doing just that.

Anyway, I was just curious to know what was in this "new" game, since there was so much confusion about what was different between the other versions. It has two different level screens, and a graphical change on one of the title screens.

-dZ.

Just sell the Donkey Kong from Intelligentvision and DIIK from Elektronite for good money and you have with DK Arcade and DIIK Arcade SE the best versions of all 3 games!

• Like 2

Sorry for the confusion. Hopefully Carl can come here and tell you what is what.

Without naming them....D2K Arcade had:

4 DK Arcade Screens

3 Unique to Intellivision Screens

2 screens from Jumpman Returns

For a total of 9 screens

Jumpman Returns has

4 DK screens

4 Jumpman Returns screens

D2K Arcade Special Edition has both the Intellivision mode and Jumpman Returns mode.

Seriously, I *still* don't understand the differences between all versions of the game that feature a large ape on the

Intellivision.

Could someone that knows that the heck is going one make some kind of grid/table that shows all of the iterations in rom or cart and various incarnations and publishers on the y axis and the guest urges (in game or extra) on the x axis? That would help us clueless understand what is what (or what is for sale or not).

Thanks.

• Like 1

Seriously, I *still* don't understand the differences between all versions of the game that feature a large ape on the

Intellivision.

Could someone that knows that the heck is going one make some kind of grid/table that shows all of the iterations in rom or cart and various incarnations and publishers on the y axis and the guest urges (in game or extra) on the x axis? That would help us clueless understand what is what (or what is for sale or not).

Thanks.

I heard Tim was going to blow out DK Arcades at a low price.

Intellivision.

Thanks.

cartridges:

Intelligentvision DK Arcade: DK NA

Electronite DK Arcade: DK NA; DK J

Electronite D2K Arcade: DK NA; Carl's D2K (nine different screens between two games)

Homebrew D2K Arcade SE: Carl's D2K; Jeff's D2K (ten different screens between two games)

games on the cartridges:

DK NA: barrels > rivets >> elevators >>> pie factory

DK Japan: barrels > pie factory > elevators > rivets

Carl's D2K: twisted girders > mixer > barrels > refinery > triple elevators > rivets >>> eliminator

Jeff's D2K: foundry > barrels > refinery > pie factory > incinerator > triple elevators > mixer > rivets

Note that the Intellivsion version of Jeff's D2K is programmed by Carl and also referred to as "Jumpman Returns". Carl's D2K has some screens that were designed by Jeff. Jeff's D2K has five different screens (not four) compared with the original DK.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

-dZ.

you look at it from a programmers pont of view. I look at it as a consumer who likes more versions. I probably have c-mart syndrome when it comes to rom variants. Honestly people here that get mad abotul d2k se must not play newer systems. Street fighter iv is a good example of "we added 4 new characters, heres another $60 game for you to buy" "oh btw we added another 4 new characters, heres another $60 game for you to buy".....

Okay, been playing my copy for a while now today... n/m about level three (Game 2). I'm an idiot. Just watched a YouTube vid on how to extinguish the flames. lol (high of 15,600 so far)

Level one is a PITA though... if you don't time the jump just right between those floating girders, you're screwed. And can't simply jump vertically to make the higher girder either which I find strange (always have to jump at an angle). Just acts as if there's an invisible pixel or two on the sides you stub your toe on while jumping. Oh well, will just turn up the color on my TV until the bleeding is nice and solid, so it looks as if the girders are wider than they are. :lol:

Okay, been playing my copy for a while now today... n/m about level three (Game 2). I'm an idiot. Just watched a YouTube vid on how to extinguish the flames. lol (high of 15,600 so far)

Level one is a PITA though... if you don't time the jump just right between those floating girders, you're screwed. And can't simply jump vertically to make the higher girder either which I find strange (always have to jump at an angle). Just acts as if there's an invisible pixel or two on the sides you stub your toe on while jumping. Oh well, will just turn up the color on my TV until the bleeding is nice and solid, so it looks as if the girders are wider than they are. :lol:

Lol. Yah my first game I lost all of my lives on the first level figuring out the timing. :)

Lol. Yah my first game I lost all of my lives on the first level figuring out the timing. :)

Still waiting for mine to arrive. What happen did Canada Post delivery all those Canadian orders of D2K SE to C-Mart.. They must be used to packages with intellivision on it going to his place. they don't even look at the addresses anymore.... lol

Still waiting for mine to arrive. What happen did Canada Post delivery all those Canadian orders of D2K SE to C-Mart.. They must be used to packages with intellivision on it going to his place. they don't even look at the addresses anymore.... lol

He is the guy who has bought the missing 80 (81 sorry) D2K SE. One more or less... ;)

Edited by Intymike
  • Like 1