IGNORED

Battle of the Ports

On 6/8/2024 at 12:23 PM, Tempest said:

Huh, I was expecting Pitfall II this week.  :)

Sorry, that's going to be a while away as I'm pretty busy at the moment.  I've got to cover games without many ports at times like these. 

2 hours ago, Yakumo1975 said:

Sorry, that's going to be a while away as I'm pretty busy at the moment.  I've got to cover games without many ports at times like these. 

Completely understandable.  I appreciate your efforts.  Your channel is the highlight of my Saturday morning routine.

• Like 1

On 6/7/2024 at 11:10 PM, Yakumo1975 said:

This week on Battle of the Ports we have a rare case where we cover a game that started life on the Sharp X68000.  This is Sol-Feace

Glad you did this one. One of my favorite 16-Bit shmups. This has the distinction of being the 1st Sega CD I ever saw and played, and the nostalgia factor is high. That intro blew my 10-year old mind back when I first saw it! Soundtrack is great too! 

• Like 1

On 6/14/2024 at 9:48 PM, Silverfleet said:

Glad you did this one. One of my favorite 16-Bit shmups. This has the distinction of being the 1st Sega CD I ever saw and played, and the nostalgia factor is high. That intro blew my 10-year old mind back when I first saw it! Soundtrack is great too! 

The soundtrack is definitely a strong point with this game 👍

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad that someone went out of their way to make Gamecube-style joycons. They make playing Yoshi's Crafty World, Paper Mario: The Origami King, Kirby: Star Allies, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, and Princess Peach: Showtime a little bit better.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Yakumo1975 said:

Classic Nintendo action this week where Mario is the filthy villain he really is.

I love your work, but i have to say, I was extremely disappointed to hear you repeat the conspiracy nonsense again in this video, that Colecovision deliberately sabotaged other console versions they did. 

This claim was made and debunked in your original DK Battle Of The Ports video. 

It's not hard to find the coder detailing the development process and hardware limitations presented by both the 2600 and Intellivision, nor the walls he hit working with the publisher.. 

He's given countless interviews over the years. 

For example.. :

"I was always completely opposed to flicker on the 2600.  I never wrote a kernel that did it and I would never consider using the technique.  In my mind it was a cop out.  The Donkey Kong kernel was the most complex display kernel I ever wrote.  It had to handle 2 player objects – Mario with a single line color table and the rolling barrel in single color, as well as 2 missile objects (which comprised the handle and head of the hammer), and 6 unique stores to the playfield background data. The rolling barrel movement algorithm was the key to avoiding flicker.  Even though there could be many barrels on the screen at once they could never overlap vertically as the code could only handle one barrel at a time on a horizontal scan line.

There were two huge limiting factors on the DK 2600 cartridge.  The first was schedule, the cartridge was written in about 3-4 months, with no flexibility on the end date.  I worked the last 72 hours straight without sleep to get the code submitted to manufacturing based on Coleco’s desired ship date.  The second limiting factor was ROM size.  The game was a 4K cartridge at a time when 8K technology was readily available but Coleco refused to go to 8K for the ROM size because of the added manufacturing cost.  Had the game been allowed to go to 8K, and assuming a longer development schedule, I would have put in all four of the arcade game screens."

https://www.retrovideogamer.co.uk/rvg-interviews-garry-kitchen/

It wouldn't even make an ounce of business sense to release substandard products, that would be associated with your name. 

You even pointed out in the video how good the sadly unreleased BBC Micro version, by Atari was.. 

When there are lengthy, detailed explanations about development environments, coding routines used and why, there is no need to suggest any conspiracy. 

Could better results of been achieved on the 2600?

Yes,but with bigger cartridges, more development time and new coding techniques discovered. 

Sadly Frank Johnson, Intellivision DK Jr coder has passed away, but..

Jennell Jaquays, who was the Director of Game Design at Coleco, made  clear that they did not deliberately make poor Atari and Intellivision ports of Coleco titles in her talk at VCF (23:47-26:00). 

So, you have the accounts of both Kitchen and Jaquays, that clearly state there was no foul play by Colecovision 

I am so glad that you covered the original Thunder Force today, Markus. Kudos for using music from the Cancelled Dreamcast Thunder Force VI. To tell you the truth, I have plans on bringing that to the Atari 7800 as a homebrew. Now if only Mr. Jakes of Basement Brothers took this on in PC-88 Paradise...

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, SlidellMan said:

I am so glad that you covered the original Thunder Force today, Markus. Kudos for using music from the Cancelled Dreamcast Thunder Force VI. To tell you the truth, I have plans on bringing that to the Atari 7800 as a homebrew. Now if only Mr. Jakes of Basement Brothers took this on in PC-88 Paradise...

You're very welcome. 

Good luck on your port to the 7800

Edited by Yakumo1975
  • Thanks 1