IGNORED

The 7800GD (New 7800 Flash Cartridge?)

SainT

Do you really want one?  

166 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in buying a 7800 SD cart (expected price around £60-£70)?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, Mayhem said:

Btw and I just wanted to ask so I don't have to trawl through the entire thread, but how is the POKEY support being supported on the cart? In software emulation?

Not software, no. It uses the POKEY core from Mark Watson, it's the same as is used in MiSTer 7800 and the POKEYMAX.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, SainT said:

You can tell it's really getting close when the instructions are done! 😆

Will there be a pre-order started for these, or will they be able to be produced in quantity and just ordered via store?

1 minute ago, Stephen said:

Will there be a pre-order started for these, or will they be able to be produced in quantity and just ordered via store?

Just produced in quantity and available through the normal channels. :)

I'll do an initial run of about 200 carts and will just wait and see everything is good before producing in larger numbers. As much as the 7800GD has been thoroughly tested over 10+ consoles of all different types and works flawlessly, I like to play it safe when dealing with target hardware with is 30-odd years old and can have had numerous modifications by current and previous owners! :)

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, SainT said:

Not software, no. It uses the POKEY core from Mark Watson, it's the same as is used in MiSTer 7800 and the POKEYMAX.

I should probably add, if you're not aware, the 7800GD actually supports DUAL POKEY. It can support POKEY's at 440/450 and 4000.

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, Mayhem said:

Okay, I phrased it wrongly, a FPGA replacement solution? Having seen that achieved for parts of the C64 I’m sure it’s going to be excellent!

Yep, in this case the wording is important! :) HOKEY (the software emulation based replacement) isn't that great.

The FPGA implementation seems to be extremely accurate.

1 hour ago, sramirez2008 said:

The 7800GD just gets better and better.  I like the SONY CRT.

It was a gift from someone I worked with about 20 years ago when they were having a clear-out. Still working well! :D

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, SainT said:

It was a gift from someone I worked with about 20 years ago when they were having a clear-out. Still working well! :D

I have a really old one from LOEWE. It can be used for Lightguns and still works sine more than 33 years.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, SainT said:

Love the stereo setup as well! The 70’s styling has never been beaten for audio gear.

Thank you. I like the polished silver and woodgrain combo. The Atari Video Music fits right in with this setup.

• Like 2

I was pleasantly surprised at how accurate the light gun actually is! I'm guessing the actual 7800 gun is more accurate than the light phaser due to some additional delay in the circuitry of the 7800 gun, but either way, if the 7800 gun is off then you can tweak that too.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SainT said:

I was pleasantly surprised at how accurate the light gun actually is! I'm guessing the actual 7800 gun is more accurate than the light phaser due to some additional delay in the circuitry of the 7800 gun, but either way, if the 7800 gun is off then you can tweak that too.

I use a Phaser with a home-designed inverter on the trigger. No accuracy problems for me. :)