IGNORED

Super Nintendo Classic Edition - SNES Mini thread

Rev

Gonna make a prediction that Nintendo announces an N64 Classic Mini this summer. :cool:

Probably not is my guess. The "safe" rumor right now is they're going to re-release the NES Mini with some improvements, including wireless controllers, and maybe just roll with the NES/SNES Minis for another year or so.

I personally don't think the NES Classic Edition will get a big overhaul. I suspect that the most noticeable change might be upping it to two controllers and raising the price $10. I hope standalone controllers are rereleased though if that comes to pass, since I'd like another.

I also don't think that this is this year's main product in this area for Nintendo. They announced this summer 2018 rerelease last year and it quite possibly will be on store shelves by early this summer. Yet if an improved NES Classic was going to be their main plug and play release for 2018, I'd of expected it to be announced later this summer like its predecessors were, with a fall release date.

To me, how they announced this rerelease and the summer release window suggests that they realize they left money off the table and want to capture those sales, but have it over with for the most part before this fall.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

I like wireless controllers and missed the NES Mini the first time around. A do-over with proper distribution would be nice.

re "leaving money on the table," the Switch is where they (correctly, IMHO) have their focus. Novelties like the Minis are popular, but so are Amiibos, stuffed toys, and licensing deals. It's safer to leave people wanting more than to saturate the market and diminish the value of the old games.

The Switch online service is coming, so I wonder if that will overlap with past Virtual Console and Mini type nostalgic things.

Novelties like the Minis are popular, but so are Amiibos, stuffed toys, and licensing deals.

I don't know if it's a regional thing but the city I work in and the city I live in don't have much in the way of Amiibos. Target blew a lot of them out, Gamestop is pretty sparse as is Best Buy with Wal-Mart having a small selection. So I'm not sure just how popular they really are.

Then again, I am in Wisconsin in betwern Milwaukee and Green Bay, so that coukd have a lot to do with it.

A bit off topic perhaps,...But I think I read that one!

About 1974...

I vaguely remember this from first grade, circa 1986. Even for the first grade it was below my reading level.

The "Bitch, Sue, Bitch!" is a new one on me though. I'd love to check out a copy from my Little Tots Snots Library... :rolling:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I went to Target, Walmart and Gamestop and all out of stick. Gamestop was the only store stating it is available at retail price but from a store about 20 miles away. They would not ship to the local store for me pick up or ship it to me . They only offered I could pay now and reserve it and pick it up at the other store 20 miles of hellish traffic. Argh. So I'm still waiting.

Edited by thetick1

I got one at launch and didn't play it until yesterday. Despite having a SNES as a child, something doesn't click for me with the Mini. It didn't feel any more special than the Wii Virtual Console for instance.

I'm currently buying stuff for my Sega consoles as well as N64 and the feeling I get from those real systems is different somehow.

Also, some of my favorites on SNES is stuff like Alien 3, Batman Returns and Super SWIV, which are not on the mini.

I went to Target, Walmart and Gamestop and all out of stick. Gamestop was the only store stating it is available at retail price but from a store about 20 miles away. They would not ship to the local store for me pick up or ship it to me . They only offered I could pay now and reserve it and pick it up at the other store 20 miles of hellish traffic. Argh. So I'm still waiting.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0721GGGS9/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=

• Like 1

Nice too see that Nintendo has kept the flow of SNES Minis flowing well enough for them to actually be found in stores with a little looking around. I could really use a way to play Star Fox and Star Fox 2, especially the original since I've never played it before, so now I'm just debating whether to go buy a SNES Mini or hold out to see if Nintendo releases them on the Virtual Console. Decisions decisions...