IGNORED

Evercade?!

Video

After a couple weekends with the VS I've purchased all the cartridges and preordered the EXP.  Although I probably already have most of these games on other devices, there is just something about this that is fun for me. 

Here are a couple collections I'd love to see:

The ID Collection 1 - Wolfenstein and various Dooms

The Lode Runner Collection

Multiple 2600 companies like Activision and Imagic as well as the great homebrews that have come out.

Colecovision Collections

Amiga Collections

• Like 7

On 9/4/2022 at 4:51 PM, Bill Loguidice said:

Exactly. There never was a mystery. It sucks that not 100% of games are on cartridge, but there's always an obvious reason (and regardless of the platform). Frankly, I'd be (and am) far more pissed about the head scratchers with games like the superior Atari 7800 version of Dark Chambers only being unlocked when you insert both Atari cartridges into a VS. I don't like the idea of unlockable games in general and certainly not on a platform like this.

Pretty much agree, Bill.  The unlocked games route is a bit bush league.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Got this Ad in my e-mail-box today:

DE2307F4-469B-4F32-A3C5-49C8CBDA0A08.thumb.png.e834015938549e2bfbb3128fe6f1f8de.png

Then clicked Pre-Order:

9CF61DC2-7691-44A2-ABBF-4F1E0B4E9A92.thumb.jpeg.fcd8885a6e2dc126b56af322fd7f8ac9.jpeg

That sold like … swooosshh…

Remember when there were many who wondered whether the Evercade would hit a nerve or just fizzle out…

Now Capcom are into it, and it seems to build steadily into its target-group…

Edited by Giles N
  • Like 4

Hmmmm...

First off,  let me say I do love Evercade stuff!  I'm really just a big ol' Evercade fanboy...Most of their stuff is (almost) as fun as getting a new CollectorVision game for my ColecoVision or an AtariAge game for my Atari!   Just...Good Times!  :)

But,    OK there's been something bothering me,...Don't worry,  Fear Not,   I'm not gonna  say Capcom games built in, but seriously why aren't those on carts?  OK, OK, ...I mean just say "Licensing deals from the past",  let us know,...No, No, You don't have to......OK, OK I'm past it...Sorry. 

No it's not that.  When I look at the new EXPs coming out and they have all these new features...It's like,  Hold On!  How come the old ones LOOK cooler?   They're Shiny and Glossy and have that cool Red stripe going on...What's available here?  Boring Black or Bland White ones?   That's it?  and I think the Black ones just sold out.

Not saying I know their business plan but my future spider sense is tingling!  What are the odds that after they sell out the White ones,   Then they release some cool color combinations,  Hopefully with cool stripes and a cool design, etc.?

Hey Evercade if ya happen to be reading this...

You know what would be cool?   A bright shiny Green EXP,  maybe with stripes of Blood Red, Orange, Purple, or Blue!   Now that'd be Tough!

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/22/2022 at 11:27 AM, jgkspsx said:

Apparently there is a decent likelihood of seeing company-based collections with games from both C64 and Amiga. At least that is the chatter on the Discord.

Amiga games are definitely coming to the Evercade.  That is a nice enough edition.  However, I still would like to see compilations from more obscure stuff like the Fairchild Channel F, Epoch Cassette Vision, or Vectrex.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Hwlngmad said:

Amiga games are definitely coming to the Evercade.  That is a nice enough edition.  However, I still would like to see compilations from more obscure stuff like the Fairchild Channel F, Epoch Cassette Vision, or Vectrex.

I don't see how Vectrex would be doable on the system. The screen orientation is wrong (although you can play the upcoming handheld in portrait mode) and the resolution is too low. Fairchild Channel F would likely have control challenges and also likely wouldn't be appealing to enough people to justify the investment, let alone trying to sort through the rights. I do agree, though, about additional systems being added, including obvious ones that would have enough appeal and already have had stuff licensed, like ColecoVision and MSX. Others, like Odyssey2 I think would generally be workable, but again, sorting through rights becomes an issue. It's probably easier and more fruitful to target the stuff with clear ownership and already has been done before trying to track down stuff in limbo. I think if they mine that for all its worth, that should last them at least another 3 years or so of new game cartridge collections before they have to go to deep cuts or more direct ports.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bill Loguidice said:

I don't see how Vectrex would be doable on the system. The screen orientation is wrong (although you can play the upcoming handheld in portrait mode) and the resolution is too low.

Which made me realize the Analogue Pocket would be great to emulate the Vectrex. The screen is almost square.

Edited by roots.genoa
  • Like 4

22 hours ago, Bill Loguidice said:

I don't see how Vectrex would be doable on the system. The screen orientation is wrong (although you can play the upcoming handheld in portrait mode) and the resolution is too low. Fairchild Channel F would likely have control challenges and also likely wouldn't be appealing to enough people to justify the investment, let alone trying to sort through the rights. I do agree, though, about additional systems being added, including obvious ones that would have enough appeal and already have had stuff licensed, like ColecoVision and MSX. Others, like Odyssey2 I think would generally be workable, but again, sorting through rights becomes an issue. It's probably easier and more fruitful to target the stuff with clear ownership and already has been done before trying to track down stuff in limbo. I think if they mine that for all its worth, that should last them at least another 3 years or so of new game cartridge collections before they have to go to deep cuts or more direct ports.

Yeah, true, the Vectrex would be a challenge as would, perhaps, the Fairchild Channel F.  However, there are plenty of other systems that can be added on like you mentioned.  In fact, I just explored a tad of the MSX library for the first time yesterday and really came away impressed with some of the titles I played.  Appreciate the input all the same 😁

• Like 3

17 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

I think the Vectrex would be fine in either orientation. It won’t look like the real thing, but nothing does. There are a lot of great games for it that are much more than just the wow factor of phosphor traces.

It's not only screen orientation, although you'd have very little room in a non-portrait orientation for the image. The default resolution of the Evercade's screen is too low in my opinion. It's 480x272. Even a 1080p screen struggles to make vector-based graphics look decent. 

EDIT: Yes, the EXP will have a better resolution of 800x480, but it would still be tough for those remaining on the legacy handheld. 

Edited by Bill Loguidice
  • Like 3

I'd certainly be in no hurry to play vectrex on evercade. Every software/fpga experience I've had attempting to replicate the console has been a bit of a waste of time, and evercade has far less capable hardware than any of my prior experiences. 

And I'm still a sucker for this little thing ;)

I just preordered the last of the 4nov games today.  Alwa's awakening and cathedral.  I already own alwa on a ton of platforms including the 'digical' nes release, but cathedral will be totally new.

And of course I preordered that c64 collection some time ago--I can't even imagine a collection in the 'blue line' that I wouldn't get. With that (early) era of c64, I tend to prefer playing the same titles on a8, because I like the a8 sounds/colors better, but as c64 matured it got a ton of absolutely crazy 'how is this on c64!?' ports and I'm hoping we see some of those later. 

I've even taken the 4th off, though history tells me not to hold my breath on their amazon preorder dates.

I think I'm going to pass on the exp. Not enough juice for the squeeze. Same reason I don't have a switch OLED. Though if I were just getting into evercade, it'd be a bit of a no-brainer purchase, which is probably what it's meant for.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 3

So the Toaplan cart probably only has the US versions of everything, right? The Japanese 1P versions with the checkpoints are the versions that the Toaplan devs want you to play (although you may want to avoid 1P Same! Same! Same! unless you love subjecting yourself to pain and miserable suffering, but I still love that game even though it's unbelievably difficult), and there is also the matter of Guardian being way harder than Get Star is to the point where it might be detrimental to the experience; I much prefer Get Star. I don't know if there are any differences between Slap Fight and Alcon, but apparently Hishouzame is slightly more difficult than Flying Shark or Sky Shark and I think Tatsujin is harder than Truxton is.

Looks like 2P Zero Wing is the Zero Wing on here... respawns instead of checkpoints, so have fun with the inevitable chain death from losing your speed, but at least it won't be a long chain death because the game rarely gives extends; arcade Zero Wing is significantly harder than the Mega Drive version to the point that they are practically different games, although the difference isn't as big as it is with Get Star.

I still think Tiger-Heli is an interesting choice; I actually like Tiger-Heli, but that's because that type of game is what I like, and it's got those really weird but cool graphics, but most people are going to play it once and hate it if they don't understand exactly why the devs made the game play the way it does.

Snow Bros... whatever. Teki-Paki? Hell yes. Too bad they didn't put Dash Yarou/Rally Bike on there. That game is awesome and barely anyone knows it exists.

• Like 1